• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Rebuilding complete *.iso backups with CloneBD

ErichV

Is there any advantage to rebuilding a complete *.iso backup of a Blu-ray disc with CloneBD?

I just noticed that I would lose the "ANY!" folder as well as the "disc.inf" file.
Some of the other files are slightly modified.

On the one hand, the backup should be as authentic as possible, but on the other hand, unnecessary files could also be removed provided that quality is not affected or problems concerning playback arise.

Therefore, I would like to ask you for your opinion.

For DVDs, I use CloneDVD due to structural protection.

Last edited:
Ofc, cloneBD can shrink bluray. Anydvd can't. The any! folder is the decrypted aacs folder. Even on an iso that folder isn't used, and the disc.inf file is only of use to software that can use it. Some files have to be modified in order to decrypt, this has no impact on disc functionality. Standalones can't use disc.inf so it's no big issue if that file isn't present

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Ofc, cloneBD can shrink bluray. Anydvd can't.

True, it does actually shrink the content of the disc without transcoding (only a few MBs).

The any! folder is the decrypted aacs folder.

Yes, it's the former AACS folder, but can you think of any situation where this data could play a role? As you correctly mentioned, the folder isn't (generally) used.

... the disc.inf file is only of use to software that can use it.

Do you know which software in particular is able to use the disc.inf file?

Some files have to be modified in order to decrypt, this has no impact on disc functionality.

I referred to the modification past decryption. This seems to be part of the *.iso rebuilding process, which is done by CloneBD (shrinking without compression). As a result, some files have a different checksum afterwards.

Given the fact that I backup the total content of my discs without compression, would you recommend to rebuild all *.iso images with CloneBD?
Are there any other users thinking of rebuilding their whole movie collection with CloneBD?

Thanks Ch3vr0n for your valuable input. :eek:

Bd-rebuilder can use the disc.inf file to find correct playlist. And if you remove audio / subtitle streams you need to point them to an existing stream. Because if you don't you break the menu operations. Selecting any of such unreferenced entry could then have any number of effects, from nothing happening at all to stopping disc playback.

The same is done with clonedvd, removed streams get pointed to an existing one.

If you're doing a 1:1 backup without stripping streams technically you don't need CloneBD. Anydvd can rip to iso itself

Bd-rebuilder can use the disc.inf file to find correct playlist. And if you remove audio / subtitle streams you need to point them to an existing stream. Because if you don't you break the menu operations. Selecting any of such unreferenced entry could then have any number of effects, from nothing happening at all to stopping disc playback.

OK, good point to keep the "disc.inf" file for further processing. Flexibility is very important to me, even if I'm quite sure that I will not make use of BD-Rebuilder.

If you're doing a 1:1 backup without stripping streams technically you don't need CloneBD. Anydvd can rip to iso itself

Yes, I ripped all my Blu-ray discs with AnyDVD to *.iso files (without keeping protection).
Now I'm sitting in front of my PC and I have to decide whether it is worth to run all *.iso files through CloneBD again. :D

Last edited:
CloneBD re-encodes even if you set it to DL BD-R so unless you want to have it re-encode there's no point running it through CloneBD. If you intend to keep everything on the disc then just mount the protected ISO and make unprotected ones. If you just want 'Movie only' discs but with no compression then at the moment I would recommend using BD Rebuilder as it will strip out unwanted streams with out re-encoding if you set the output size to 50GB

CloneBD re-encodes even if you set it to DL BD-R so unless you want to have it re-encode there's no point running it through CloneBD.

OK, thank you. CloneBD did its job within a few minutes so I made the wrong assumption that it didn't re-encode.

Whenever I tell it to do either a full disc or movie only in CloneBD to DL disc it always appears to re-encode the movie as it takes just as long as when i shrink it

For her moment everything gets recoded, the last news on that during beta testing was that they were at that time FORCING everything through the encode parser to perfect it as much as possible until it was ready for primetime. Since everything still gets encoded it probably means it's not perfect yet, it is on the feature request list to not encode when it doesn't have to.

It's a really strange situation.

If I reduce the quality just a little bit from the maximum, it will take approximately six hours to finish the conversion. Data flow is reduced from 66 MB/s to 3-5 MB/s and CPU usage of LibAV climbs up sharply.
In the other case the processing time is only a few minutes, all LibAV tasks can be killed without a crash.

Don't convert for a device or into a file, this method always involves re-encoding at the moment.

Try to create an *.iso with maximum quality and see it yourself!

Attachments

• dataflow.jpg
    dataflow.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 16
Back