• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

RCE outside R1? And an observation...

jpmccusa

For what it's worth, I got a new DVD release today from a reputable on-line dealer in R1-land. Here is the AnyDVD info:

Summary for drive J: (AnyDVD 6.1.2.5)
PIONEER DVD-RWDVR-111D 1.29 06/08/10PIONEER
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1423440 sectors (2780 MBytes)
Total size: 2846878 sectors (5560 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: BUTCHER_BOY
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1 2 3 4!

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to TitleMenu!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

As you can see, it is coded for R1,2,3, & 4...does this include RCE protection for all 4 regions, do you think?

More generally, what were they thinking??? The disc is in English with English subtitles only. Why would they go to the trouble of preventing sales in Uzbekistan or Red China and sell freely to the rest of the world...? And why bother with RCE in this case? There is something here that I think I don't really understand. Obviously, I'm exaggerating a bit here, but the point should be clear...

If it's not too much trouble, could someone offer a brief tutorial on what's what with RCE?

By the way, the cover art states that it is coded for R1 only.

Last edited:
It's normal for an RCE disc to report several regions. The RCE code on the disc will limit playback to the one intended region. That's how RCE works; it allows the drive to begin playback (regardless of its region setting - hence the multiple regions quoted) so it can load RCE software. The software then interrogates the firmware twice to find out what region it reports. And if it gets an "OK" answer to two different regions, it then branches you into a dead-end part of the menu structure which is full of user-prohibitions, meaning the only function that works is "eject". Good multi-region fixes deal with this issue, of course.

Perversely, my Matshita drive in my laptop won't play out-of-region discs at all, even with AnyDVD running. But, precisely because of this mechanism it will happily play RCE titles out of region!

Last edited:
Back