• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Quick Recode vs Shrink question.

Clams

A discussion with Webslinger elswhere sparked this question.

I know that Shrink has the option when re-authoring a DVD, to "force" whatever audio or subtitle stream you desire on any given title. This I find handy, because you can leave the AC3-5.1 sound on the movie AND the commentary track. Then you right click the title on the left side and force the AC3-5.1 track to play as the "primary". (But you can toggle to the commentary track if you wish during playback.)

I've not found this "somewhat advanced" option in Nero Recode - did they leave it out? - or did I miss it? I really don't know.

-W (Mr. Slinger.. I thought of this because this "feature" means more to me than menus or ReCodes speed advantage)

I have Recode 2.4.5.0. and I have never found that feature either.

I just took a look, and I'm not seeing it either in Recode 2.4.5.0

OK thanks!
That's kinda too bad because if you re-author a DVD (movie only) and leave the commentary or subtitles in - it becomes a crapshoot as to what will dominate on playback by default. I don't use the feature all the time, but I always use it if I leave any strange tracks on the title.

I don't know why they left it out of Recode.... kinda seems a small step backward in "Shrinks evolution".

-W

OK thanks!
That's kinda too bad because if you re-author a DVD (movie only) and leave the commentary or subtitles in - it becomes a crapshoot as to what will dominate on playback by default. I don't use the feature all the time, but I always use it if I leave any strange tracks on the title.

I don't know why they left it out of Recode.... kinda seems a small step backward in "Shrinks evolution".

-W

I agree that I really like that feature in DVDShrink - particularly for music/concert dvd's where a dts soundtrack has been included. My primary home theater equipment supports dts, but not all my other equipment. Therefore, if all fits ok, I like to include both the dolby digital and dts tracks, but set the default soundtrack for dolby digital. If some other family member plays the disc somewhere else - it plays ok without them having to do anything special. And I can opt for the dts track on the main family system.

GOOD THREAD! Thanks! The quality results were a bit inconclusive, but seemed to swing a bit toward the Recode side. I tend to use Shrink in "extra sharp" - it takes longer but seems to do better overall than "sharp".

Twas funny that on page three, the bitching started about the very feature I mentioned being left out of Recode. Heh..

Is the Nero burning ROM really that sucky? Some of them were pretty hard on it.

-W (who'll prolly stay with Shrink so long as the std. DVD exists)

Last edited:
Is the Nero burning ROM really that sucky? Some of them were pretty hard on it.

No. There's just a lot of bloatware in the ultra package, and some people are very resistant to having to pay for software in general. That said, I have not been impressed with Nero's customer support lately, and the file size of the update download must leave Nero/Ahead dial-up customers in tears. I also feel Nero gouges its customers with each new upgrade.

Last edited:
Ok - thanks - Understood.

-W

Back