• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Quick DVD Label Question

Bigsam302

I just learned the hard way that it is not a good idea to put labels on your backup DVDs. I have a case of 150 DL DVDs that are useless. :bang: I back up all my movies on DL because I like to keep all the features and I like to keep them in as best quality as possible. I'm starting over from scratch and I decided to use my lightscribe to make labels. I ordered a couple of lightscribe DVD-DL by verbatium, but they are expensive and I don't want to be limited to doing this. Anyway, since I'm off subject, I still would like to put labels on my DVDs. My question is: would have the same problem if I use just the doughnut holes instead of the complete label on my disk? From what I've read searching the forum, full labels are causing most of the issues.

Most of my labels are just Sharpie scribblings. However, when I do want to have a nice label on a disc, I use discs that are inkjet printable and use a printer that's made to print right on the things. In the US that pretty much means an Epson printer (due to some sort of patent thing I think), but outside the US Canons will often have support (and probably other brands).

Even if I'm just writing with a Sharpie, I prefer the nice, plain white surface of the printable discs to write on. I wish good quality printable DVD DL media were more available.

Everything I have read says "don't put labels on DVDs" because you may damage DVD players (video) and/or drives (computer). Labels on CDs may be less problematic for CD players because 1x CD speed is very slow, but labels can also damage CD drives in computers.

Go with:

- Sharpie on normal blank. Not great but generally safer than labels.
- Thermal printer on normal blank. They have cheap printers for 1-4 lines of text and extremely expensive ones for full coverage
- Inkjet on inkjet-printable blanks.
- Lightscribe on lightscribe blanks.

If you want to recover data from labelled DVDs, and the label is very well adhered to the top surface, perhaps you can more safely extract the data with the drive locked at 1x or 2x extraction speeds (if you can find software that allows you to force slow extraction).

-brendan

NO labels are good. The label causes the disc to become out of balance.
Use a sharpie or get a printer with disc printing capabilities.

Going on 8 years with this method, zero problems, storing the cd/dvd disk end up, in room temperature, stored in standard size CD case.

1st choice
Blank white cd/dvd media with an Epson printer like R220 or RX595

2nd choice
Blank white stick on cd/dvd labels, AND THE WORD IS BALANCE THE STICKER PROPERLY ON THE DISK, AND THE WORD IS BALANCE THE STICKER PROPERLY ON THE DISK. Properly mounted white labels on cd/dvd will not come apart, no matter what the spin speed is. Just like balancing a tire.

:D

Not at all like "balancing a tire". Balancing a tire/wheel assembly uses weights to counter balance the heavy spot. That's
I'm pleased that you have had such success using labels and you seem to be most fortunate. I can't count the number of optical drives I've replaced in my shop from damage caused by labeled discs. That's not a feasible application for DVD discs.

Back