Question update firmware DVD drive

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by cloudff7, Jul 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. cloudff7

cloudff7 Active Member

Does updating my PC's internal Sata DVD drive firmware have benefits or not? does it increase error correction or not? do you get Quality Disc testing support or not? I have an ASUS DRW-24F1MT / BLK / B / AS

2. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

If you are not familiar with updating the firmware you can easily brick your drive. If its working now and I would leave it alone.

whatever_gong82 likes this.
  3. cloudff7

cloudff7 Active Member

update firmware does it increase error correction or not?

4. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL

without saying a drive model, existing firmware revision it's impossible to lookup the changelog where that kind of info is mentioned.

5. cloudff7

cloudff7 Active Member

ASUS DRW-24F1MT / BLK / B / AS drive and firmware is not release

6. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL

If there's no newer firmware there's not much we can say. Unless I'm mistaking, error correction is handled by the drive, not the firmware.

Generally unless your crossflashing firmware from 1 model onto a different model, updating firmware is pretty safe. Manufacturer updaters usually have checks built-in to prevent you from downgrading and/or crossflashing.

In fact I updated the bios of my new laptop just days ago. It's no different. You download an exe, run it, done.

For drives it's usually download the flasher, download the updated firmware, load it in the flasher and press go.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

7. cloudff7

cloudff7 Active Member