Question: Partial Copy ISO with 3D Retained

Discussion in 'CloneBD' started by jayper, Jan 12, 2023.

1. jayper

jayper Well-Known Member

Apologies for the new thread, but I was hoping to get a quick validation on my understanding after reading through documentation/FAQs.

If I have a backed up 3D blu-ray (folder back-up or ISO), and I load it into CloneBD, I will NOT be able to create a "Partial Copy ISO" and retain 3D for playback. Is that correct?

2. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

Correct. CloneBD has no 3D support for isos, but makes wonderful MVC mkv files.

jayper likes this.
  3. jayper

jayper Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, James! Appreciate the confirmation. That is what I was gathering, but just wanted to be certain. Cheers!

4. James

If your player supports MVC mkv, go for it. Unfortunately, very few do...

5. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL

There is an alternative to cloneBD if you want to shrink AND keep 3d. It's not the easiest tool to use but it can be done, it's called BD-rebuilder available free on doom9.org.

In most ways it's vastly inferior to CloneBD in terms of UI, and user friendliness. But for shrinking 3DBD's, it's my go-to tool, and only for that nowadays.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  6. James

IIRC the resulting discs/images won't play in every 3D player. But it has been years since I tried it.

7. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL

Could be but they worked in my Panasonic. Been a few years since I used it too since we'll, very few new 3d releases.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. jayper

jayper Well-Known Member

Yeah... no goals to actually shrink (transcode) and retain the 3D. I often just prefer to create ISO images with just the main feature playlist for playback on my Oppo. It's not a big deal or worth the hassle to deal with another program. I can just stick with full ISO back-ups. That'll do fine. As you said, very few new 3D releases these days. Appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions everyone. Cheers!

9. James

IIRC they did not play in my Oppo. I just use full isos, as the Oppo doesn't play mvc mkv. PowerDVD 19 does, but ... well...

10. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL

Probably because it doesn't support the 'in-mux' 3d option bdrb uses, but it's a valid format. Just not adopted a lot by the industry.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk