• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question about subs track in Bluray

Steve55

OK I posted this question under anydvd but Chevron pointed out it belongs here.
I want to emphasise in the first instance I'm not reporting a bug just trying to understand what's going on and showing my ignorance!
So: on the disk Rome (the TV series), the episodes have optional background information subs concerning Roman history etc. These are text in a brown box with a little animation. From the actual bluray disk, if I play it from vlc and select the option from the disk menu they play fine. However when playing them, vlc does not show a sub track as active, and indeed it also does not appear on the list of sub tracks under codecs. Also, using procmon I can see that vlc has only the m2ts file open, there's no secret "other" file containing this track
However, if I try to copy this title neither makemkv nor Clonebd shows me this "subtitle" track. So where does it live and how can I rip it??? Is it embedded in the video stream somehow? In that case, how can I play it back when it's in an mkv?
Like I say, I just want in the first place to understand what's going on. Thanks to anyone who can educate me!

PS Just for clarity on what I'm talking about, here's a screenshot. It's obviously not a sub track strictly speaking. So where does it come from?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
I assume, it's not a subtitle track, but rather an IG ("Interactive Graphics") track in the m2ts file (like a non-BD-J popup menu).
If it's animated, that's the only thing it can be.
There's no way to get that into an MKV.

Thanks Pete - that's the first I heard of such I thing. I'll have to do a bit of research...

ETA

OK It is apparently possible to have IG streams in an m2ts file. Which in fact is obvious with hindsight, as it's how menus work.

But to find a tool that handles this is quite challenging so far!

Thanks Pete for pointing me in the right direction!

Last edited:
Back