Question About Region Free

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by Zeta, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Understandably, then, it's probably not worth pursuing. :)

2. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator

Oh, I don't know...when I get my 20 guage back from my dad I might consider some target practice. Buckshot to a DVD player...then it might provide SOME value. :D

3. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

Actually it's surprising how many region free instructions I've seen for Sony standalone players.

4. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator

I would find that surprising, yes. They're not the most consumer friendly bunch on the planet...

5. Webslinger

It's not as though Sony wants you to have a region free standalone dvd player. :)

6. DrinkLyeAndDie

No, but as we all know Sony doesn't exactly make all their own products, either. With any company that does this sometimes the company that actually does do the manufacturing may slip something in. ;)

That said I never have no never will own a CD player, DVD player or PC DVD drive from Sony.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  7. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator

Imagine that. It's not like they want me to have a PS3, either, else they'd have set the price a little more realistically. Oh, right, I'm supposed to want to go get a second job to afford one. ROFLMAO!

8. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator

I have but mine says Lite On on it. :D

9. Zeta

Zeta Well-Known Member

Be careful Drink or a man with a red blazer on horseback may come to your house and rip the hard drive out of your PC :policeman: :D

10. DrinkLyeAndDie

A lot of my family are Canadian and I lived up their for a time, myself. Beautiful place and nice people. :D I'll just invite the poor Mountie in and offer him/her some Moosehead beer.

PS: Btw, I do actually say "eh" a lot.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  11. calcu007

calcu007 Well-Known Member

Then something is wrong with anydvd. Isn't supposedly to leave the region code in the dvd if you uncheck those options?

12. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator

That depends...is the software being used to do the backup removing it? If it really IS AnyDVD removing it, then yes it's a bug. However, if your DVD backup software is removing it, AnyDVD doesn't have any control over that.

13. Webslinger

I'm not sure. The first option affects playback software. The description in Anydvd "software region code" doesn't say anything affecting about a backup. If there's a problem, then it seems likely to me the problem would be in this setting, but again, I'm not sure there is a problem.

And the two settings below that shouldn't change region codes on the backup.

In fact, it seems highly unlikely to me that there is a bug. As it would make no sense to produce a standalone dvd player that refuses to play region free discs (can you name one?), I suspect Anydvd just makes discs region free by default. It would make more sense for a standalone dvd player to block -r or +r media.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  14. vgk1nka1dx

vgk1nka1dx Member

I hardly know anything about the region coding but I noticed the shrink has an option to set the region code before you encode the movie. Would that possibly help the situation? I don't kow if you use shrink at all but I guess it would be worth a shot.

15. Zeta

Zeta Well-Known Member

I used to use Shrink by itself before I bought AnyDVD and CloneDVD and yes, I remember that feature. Just after I asked this question I thought to try Shrink again (with AnyDVD running in the background of course) and it still came up region free even though I set Shrink to have the backup as a region 1 disk, but after all the thoughts about it here on this thread the general concensus seems to be that pretty well any standalone DVD player will play a region free disk