• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question about "new version" of AnyDVD HD

Crower

I'm a newbie and just started using my trial version of AnyDVD HD which I like real well so far. I noted that when I first started using it, a note popped up about a newer version being available. I didn't opt for that at the time. I'm just wondering what upgrading to a new version entails when I decide to do that (after purchasing a license). Can it be done automatically through a SlySoft link or do I need to remove and reinstall manually? Does an older version have limited capability on newer disks or is it just a features in the version issue (more or improved features in the new version)? Thanks.

a note popped up about a newer version being available. I didn't opt for that at the time.

That is done by anydvd automatically, it periodically checks for new versions. You don't opt for it, though it can be disabled in settings

I'm just wondering what upgrading to a new version entails when I decide to do that (after purchasing a license).

simple, download the new setup and install it. All done.

Can it be done automatically through a SlySoft link

No, there are no direct links to release versions, you need to download the setups from the download page.

or do I need to remove and reinstall manually?

Nope, you don't need to remove older versions. You just download the new one and install it over the older version. It'll get udpated.

Does an older version have limited capability on newer disks

Not if u have a valid license. As long as you have a valid license you get free updates until it's expiration date and access to the online protection database. Subscription expires, so does your access to the OPD. That's all.

or is it just a features in the version issue (more or improved features in the new version)? Thanks.

there are no feature differences between normal and HD (except the blu-ray & hd-dvd handling capabilities of anydvd hd, everything else is the same). As long as you have a valid license, if new features were to be introduced you'd get them in the setup. If new features are introduced in a version that is released after your subscription expires you wouldn't be able to use them, or anydvd at all for that matter. In order to get access to that version you'd need to renew your license.

That is done by anydvd automatically, it periodically checks for new versions. You don't opt for it, though it can be disabled in settings

simple, download the new setup and install it. All done.

No, there are no direct links to release versions, you need to download the setups from the download page.

Nope, you don't need to remove older versions. You just download the new one and install it over the older version. It'll get udpated.

Not if u have a valid license. As long as you have a valid license you get free updates until it's expiration date and access to the online protection database. Subscription expires, so does your access to the OPD. That's all.

there are no feature differences between normal and HD (except the blu-ray & hd-dvd handling capabilities of anydvd hd, everything else is the same). As long as you have a valid license, if new features were to be introduced you'd get them in the setup. If new features are introduced in a version that is released after your subscription expires you wouldn't be able to use them, or anydvd at all for that matter. In order to get access to that version you'd need to renew your license.

Thanks for that Ch3vr0n. You pretty much answered my questions. In my very last question, I was just wondering if there might be capability differences between older and newer AnyDVD HD versions for recently released disks. I think you answered that too in that there might be newer program features, but the disk functionality draws from the on-line data base, so both newer and older versions have the same capabilities disk-wise. That's probably a moot point since I would usually download the latest version once I am a licensed user. Thanks again.

It is fairly common (perhaps once every month or two) that you would need to download and install a new version of AnyDVD HD in order to rip the newest disc releases. Just check the changelog to see how frequently they list "Support for new discs".

Before I rip any new release disc, my first stop is the AnyDVD HD forums to check for a new beta. It takes only a minute to update and just a few clicks.

SlySoft is great about updating AnyDVD HD to keep up with the latest schemes. The longest I've ever seen them take is about a week, and that was an exceptional case. More often, a new version is available on the disc release day.

It is fairly common (perhaps once every month or two) that you would need to download and install a new version of AnyDVD HD in order to rip the newest disc releases. Just check the changelog to see how frequently they list "Support for new discs".

Before I rip any new release disc, my first stop is the AnyDVD HD forums to check for a new beta. It takes only a minute to update and just a few clicks.

SlySoft is great about updating AnyDVD HD to keep up with the latest schemes. The longest I've ever seen them take is about a week, and that was an exceptional case. More often, a new version is available on the disc release day.

That confuses me a little. My original question was about a new version of AnyDVD HD, and I think that's what you mention should be downloaded and installed about monthly (do they really issue new versions that often). My understanding is that new disks create a need for changelog updates which are accessed and downloaded by the AnyDVD HD program automatically as needed when a particular disk is backed up, and even older versions (though probably not antiquated ones) will work as long as the changelog is accessed. Is that correct or am I missing something here?

Are betas a good bet or should one wait for them to finish beta testing before they replace a known version of AnyDVD HD?

Thanks

Last edited:
That confuses me a little. My original question was about a new version of AnyDVD HD, and I think that's what you mention should be downloaded and installed about monthly (do they really issue new versions that often). My understanding is that new disks create a need for changelog updates which are accessed and downloaded by the AnyDVD HD program automatically as needed when a particular disk is backed up, and even older versions (though probably not antiquated ones) will work as long as the changelog is accessed. Is that correct or am I missing something here?

Are betas a good bet or should one wait for them to finish beta testing before they replace a known version of AnyDVD HD?

Thanks

By "change log" I'm referring to the web page linked right next to he download button (iirc). It describes what is new in each version. Those have to manually downloaded each time, but it only takes a few clicks.

There's also the OPD (Online Protection Database) which (I guess?) is automatically and silently updated. I don't believe that SlySoft publishes a change log for that.

In my experience the betas are always as solid as a full release.

By "change log" I'm referring to the web page linked right next to he download button (iirc). It describes what is new in each version. Those have to manually downloaded each time, but it only takes a few clicks.

There's also the OPD (Online Protection Database) which (I guess?) is automatically and silently updated. I don't believe that SlySoft publishes a change log for that.

In my experience the betas are always as solid as a full release.

My bad. I was confusing the change log with the OPD. Glad to hear the confidence in the betas - sound's like SlySoft has it together. Will keep my eye open for beta releases once I get my license.
Thanks again.

Back