• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

question about AS download behavior

I have a pretty powerful desktop that I usually download everything on and I don’t get any buffering

OK, I get what you were saying now...

What you are experiencing is the good buffering.

Buffering always occurs with audio/video streaming. If it didn't buffer, no one would be able to enjoy a song or video without constant interruptions... unless they had the fastest internet connection 100% of the time everywhere they went... including through tunnels.

So, long story short... The average person only notices the bad buffering that interrupts their streaming experience; playback freezing.
When they experience no playback performance issues, the term buffering never crosses their mind. This is the buffering we all want... and enjoy far more more often than the bad buffering.
  • Bad buffering is slow... as we hate it.
  • Good buffering is fast... as we enjoy it.
Just think about the times you're streaming your music when driving, and you get stuck in a tunnel or under a huge overpass for a few minutes (L.A. traffic be damned!) and then your music stops playing. When you drive out, it starts again.

Now you understand what I’m saying, thank you zero269

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@zero269 thanks for the suggestion on VMWare, interesting stuff to know as my vm 'adventures' get more serious and turn into the default way i run windows. for a long time, i just did bootcamp (dual-boot) but decided to go vm more recently (in order to prep a migration to a newer intel mbp - my 2013 model is starting to choke with VM's in the picture). i am a noob as far as virtual machines are concerned and it's interesting learning what i can do already with VMWare Fusion.

i have a chronosync task doing a full blind left to right backup of the vm image, which is about 16GB in size after reclaiming space. that doesn't take too long to do via wifi and it's another one of those set and forget jobs. what i like about running an OS in a VM is I can capture the entire OS as a single file and in it's current state, without fiddling with more software on the windows side to capture my system state. I'm somewhat backup-fanatical, having 2 identical duplicates of my entire SSD living in different places, as well as user level backups of documents folders, etc.

running AS inside the VM starts chewing away at allocated space and the image size grows. got into the habit of doing 'reclaim disk space' after closing out AS and shipping all the video content out of windows and to it's home on my network. usually keeps image size under 20GB which is tolerable for daily backups.

for a long time, i just did bootcamp (dual-boot) but decided to go vm more recently

I was going to send you a PM, but I'm getting denied for some reason, so I'll paste it as an image here. I didn't want to turn your thread into a VM topic... :D
Here's the link you see in the image: LinkedIn Learning

upload_2021-6-13_19-33-9.png

upload_2021-6-13_19-15-58.png

@zero269
thats interesting, thanks for taking the time to elaborate the details.

checking out full clones vs linked clones, i would personally choose a full clone. reason being i have the ability to spin off a brand new ‘full-strength’ independent vm using the parent vm as a springboard.

i may be mistaken interpreting how vm clones are used today. but i would choose that route for my usage. simple, 1 os per flavor living on my computer with at least some redundancy from the mirror backups i do.

having another full clone laying around would be ideal as a backup or failsafe go-to in case my primary vm gets badly hosed and i manage to backup the hosed vm without noticing it got messed up.

fairly low risk in my case, since i just have a handful of 3rd party stuff living in windows and exclusively use windows for doing renegade stuff like … whatever it is we are doing here ..

even if my windows gets very badly screwed, its so much easier and faster to reinstall from scratch using vmware. dual booting tought me alot about partitioning, the gpt, efi and all the other little things lurking around on your ssd that are needed to run more than mac OS on a single machine. but vm takes a lot of that craziness out of the picture and makes data loss a lot less risky.

i got vmware fusion 12 free, its free for personal use. just have to get a license key from vmware and all set. i wanted to stay away from parallels, they run with a subscription model and i dont want to have my OS’s held hostage to a software company that wants $$ yearly to have access to functionality. i don’t know how adobe continues to do business with that approach, but i would not buy into leasing software, ever.

Last edited:
checking out full clones vs linked clones, i would personally choose a full clone.

I would still recommend looking into and experimenting with LINKED clones. (y)

upload_2021-6-14_15-12-47.png

Last edited:
I would still recommend looking into and experimenting with LINKED clones. (y)

i may take up that notion soon ...

in the interim, i did have a question related to VMWare you might be able to answer .... noticed that when i process large content (10+GB videos), that working with them inside the VM takes a little while. my VM is not pre-allocating the disk space i specified, so the virtual hdd (i am guessing) shrinks/grows it's footprint according to usage.

if i turn on pre-allocate, will that help to speed up working with windows in the VM environment ?

i am close to transitioning to new hardware and will have more storage to work with that would not bother me to dedicate a fixed size to my windows VM hdd.

noticed that when i process large content (10+GB videos), that working with them inside the VM takes a little while. my VM is not pre-allocating the disk space i specified, so the virtual hdd (i am guessing) shrinks/grows it's footprint according to usage.
if i turn on pre-allocate, will that help to speed up working with windows in the VM environment ?
i am close to transitioning to new hardware and will have more storage to work with that would not bother me to dedicate a fixed size to my windows VM hdd.
Here's my semi-educated answer...

upload_2021-6-17_14-28-0.png

However I would recommend heading over to Home - VMware Technology Network VMTN for people who are definitely more knowledgeable with using that feature.

thanks

i may toy around w it just to see if it makes any improvement.

ill have 1tb physical storage so minus 100-200 gb wont hurt much

all my maps are network shares and i dont directly need to read/write to apfs from inside the vm.

doesn't matter for me though, because anything on either side of the fence is a straightforward copy/paste. if i ever have a need to share folders i think fusion has that feature i could choose which folders on mac os side i want to access in windows.

Back