• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Quality?

bennela

All things being equal, would there be any quality difference between compressing DVD-9 to DVD-5 using CloneDVD vs. other software such as Nero Recode 2? This assumes an apples to apples comparison of not removing any chapters or anything. Just a straight compress and copy of an entire commercial DVD to a single-layer DVD+R or DVD-R. Would there be any noticeable difference in quality of the final DVD?

All things being equal, would there be any quality difference between compressing DVD-9 to DVD-5 using CloneDVD vs. other software such as Nero Recode 2? This assumes an apples to apples comparison of not removing any chapters or anything. Just a straight compress and copy of an entire commercial DVD to a single-layer DVD+R or DVD-R. Would there be any noticeable difference in quality of the final DVD?

Yes, depending on compression level (and the size of your television screen--and your eyes)

Both Shrink and Nero Recode produce better picture quality provided you're using deep or advanced analysis. The cost, of course, is the amount of time taken to transcode. Clonedvd2 transcodes faster. I recommend ripping with Clonedvd2 and then importing into Recode, if you're having problems with Recode alone.

Clonedvd2 also has an advantage if you're splitting across two discs and want to retain menus. Shrink and Recode can't do this.

For what it's worth, I can't stand compressing. If you truly care about picture quality, this method is much better (but more costly):
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

Last edited:
Webslinger, above you stated that you recommend ripping with Clonedvd2 and then importing into Recode, if I am having problems with Recode alone. How EXACTLY would I do this? (Sorry I seem so incompetent but I'm new at all this) Thank you in advance.

Webslinger, above you stated that you recommend ripping with Clonedvd2 and then importing into Recode, if I am having problems with Recode alone. How EXACTLY would I do this? (Sorry I seem so incompetent but I'm new at all this) Thank you in advance.

If I understand your question right by using clonedvd2 first to rip to the HDD takes all the crap out and makes it easier for third party apps to do their magic.

You do this:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476

But in step 12, you choose ""dvd+/-r dl" since you don't want to compress with Clonedvd2, and in step 16 your output method should be dvd files instead of your burner. After, you would run Recode and choose to import that folder you ripped to in Clonedvd2 into Recode.

Back