QUAD Vs. DUAL

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by DonRon, Jun 17, 2007.

1. DonRon

DonRon Member

Hi

can cyberlink powerDVD use all 4 cores on a quad core

im making a new pc for hd-dvd/blu-ray movies using powerDVD and anyDVD HD
    and my choise is betwine..

E6850 (3.0GHz) dual core
    Q6600 (2.4GHz) quad core

cheers

2. sarah99

sarah99 Well-Known Member

or you could save yourself some money and buy the E4300 and clock it to 3ghz

3. roog

roog Well-Known Member

I don't have a quad core but I do have a dual core E6600 and it uses both processors at around 55% during HD DVD or Blu-ray playback.

Under Vista 32, I would hazard a guess that it will use all four.

Have you tried asking Cyberlink?

4. DonRon

DonRon Member

yes just talked with cyberlink, no quadro cpu support

5. roog

roog Well-Known Member

It should still use 2 cores. If you can afford it, go for the quad core.

Also, you need to find out which versions of Windows support quad core.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  6. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Don't buy any Intel cpus until July 22nd.

7. Octavean

Octavean Well-Known Member

Right the price drop in late July (will likely take some time before the change takes effect) should put the $520 Q6600 into the $266 range. I have been looking forward to buying one but it seems they don’t OC as well so I may have to rethink my buying strategy.

You have to wonder though, if quad core is not supported does it tax two cores and simply leave the other two cores unused or what?

8. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

This is true, wait until the price drop. You will be very sorry unless money is not important to you.:D

9. Galileo2000

Galileo2000 Well-Known Member

E4300 which can be found for around $100 can be overclocked to the sky.

For the mere hundred bucks you get 3.3Ghz or higher CPU.

If you wanna be the first on the block with the Quad, go for it.

PDVD is a movie player. Although CPU-intensive, it is not above 2.4Ghz without VGA hardware acceleration.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  10. Octavean

Octavean Well-Known Member

Basically, from what I have been hearing the Q6600 has a good chance of hitting 3.0GHz on air cooling up from its default 9x266 = 2.4GHz speed. However it will dissipate a lot of heat.

I’ve been seeing reports of E6850 OCs of close to ~4GHz on air. The price of the E6850 should be about what the E6700 is now so that’s about ~$320 US.

The raw processor speed of the Core 2 Duo will typically be an asset over addition cores of the Core 2 Quad.

11. Webslinger

buy memory now!

If you're considering building a new system in the near future, buy memory now! Expect memory prices to jump 30-50%.

12. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

I seen a few stable E6600's clocked between 3.8 to 4.2 on air cooled systems as well. I will also say why do you want to use up all 4 cores? The purpose of multiple core is to be able to multi task and you couldn't do this if you used all 4 cores. I may be wrong but doubt it. Anydvd HD and CloneDVD2 only call up one core if I remember right as well even on multiple cored systems.

13. roog

roog Well-Known Member

I'd like to use 4 cores, running near 100%, to recode bloated HD movies to a more reasonable size when CloneDVD HD comes out.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  14. Webslinger

Gamers will . . .

Alan Wake and Supreme Commander

15. Charlie

Very true and Alan will correct me :D I meant to the original poster and the use of PowerDVD.

16. Webslinger

Errr . . .

Alan Wake is the name of an upcoming game. Or maybe you knew that and were joking? :eek:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  17. Charlie

:D blonde moment :D

18. Charlie

19. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

The type of cooling will not make the clock speeds differ.:confused:
    Why can't you multi task with all 4 cores???? That is he purpose of multiple cores.

20. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Aside from NOT recommending doing business with Tiger Direct, I would be cautious teaming that CPU and MOBO together, The MOBO is not a quality board and it uses Nvidia Northbridge chipset..... Intel CPU's like with Intel chipsets.