QNAP, RAID5, additional Drive

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by DQ, Sep 25, 2021.

1. cartman0208

cartman0208 Well-Known Member

Uhm, ok, if you care mostly about the cost, then probably single disks are your best option ...
    Better not take me as an example, because one of my NAS boxes is sitting in a datacenter nearby as a 19" solution :whistle:

DQ likes this.
  2. DrXenos

DrXenos Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just saw your post. I don't normally look at this forum. I, too, have a QNAP. You can add a disc, but if you want it part of the RAID 5 group, it will have to rebuild (your data will still be accessible during this time. there will be access latency which may or may not be noticeable). You can also add the disc without adding it to the raid group, if you want to avoid the rebuild for some reason.

My NAS had 3 drives in RAID 5, I added two more drives and converted to RAID 6, simultaneously. Later, I added another drive. My data was perfectly accessible during the latter rebuild, but not during the conversion to RAID 6.

DQ likes this.
  3. DrXenos

Since we all agree that RAID isn't a backup solution, here is my backup strategy (if anyone cares):

- The NAS, itself, is backed up to a set of external HDDs using a file sync. tool. All the files are hashed with multiple hash digest types using a tool of my own creation. The hashes make it easy to periodically verify the backups, the NAS, restores, rebalancing, etc. The tool is able to update the hashes for changes or new files.

- All my rips from AnyDVD are also backed up to external HDDs kept in protective cases. These are also hashed. Additionally, PAR2 files are generated for everything. Since there is only one backup (the discs also serve as their own backup), the PAR2 files make recovery easy for common issues like bit flips, bad sectors, etc. Some discs that were hard to rip, released on burnt media, out-of-print, expensive, etc., have secondary backups.

-- All my AnyStream downloads are double backed up to external HDDs (kept in the same cases as the AnyDVD backups), and hashed.

Currently, I have:
    6 10TB drives in the NAS in RAID 6 (so, 4 drives of data, 2 for parity). The NAS is "scrubbed" monthly (i.e., all the files are checked for validity by the QNAP OS).

8 external HDDs to backup NAS (3TB and 6TB in size).

32 external HDDs to backup DVDs, Blu-rays, and downloads (3TB and 6TB in size), in two cases (each case holds 20 drives).

9 external HDDs to serve as secondary backups for DVDs and Blu-rays (various sizes), in one case.

2 external HDDs to double backup important, non-media files on the NAS (these are kept separate for everything else).

DrX

DQ likes this.
  4. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

I always have equal parts shock and interest at how different everyone's solution is. And I think that is because the things we do here there is no single best way to do it. So we all come up with our own "process" based on our own likes/dislikes and personalities.

I back up my NAS to a single USB drive but it's about to become too small as the NAS grows. Your setup though has given me the thought that the back up location for the NAS does not need to be as redundant as the NAS. So simple large drives, even in a RAID0, would be sufficient for a second copy of data. So thanks for that thought process!

5. DrXenos

I thought about getting a 2nd NAS and just rsyncing them, but I like the idea of separate, portable HDDs for backup purposes.

Also, my strategy might be too "manual" for some people, but I like the control. It is also a GREAT way to test the integrity of new hardware. I just let it validity all 8 drives of backup (many, many terabytes). I bought a USB hub once that would fail in about 1 bit per terabyte of data! The manufacturer wouldn't believe me and I sent it back to Amazon.

6. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

I think your solution is pretty cool. I use Acronis right now for the back up. And Acronis is great. BUT it has a weakness. It cannot back up to more than 1 location. So I could just end up using multiple usb drives but I would need something that can backup to more than 1 location. I am not sure what is reliable and can do that. I need to look around again.