• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

QNAP, RAID5, additional Drive

You wanted to explain why you ended up with QNAP ;)

As I mentioned I liked both Synology and QNAP. I did like the Synology software a little better but I liked the QNAP hardware more. So I went with the hardware due to performance and price point. Specifically the networking as I was looking for at least 2.5GB NICs. Just personal preference as it relates to how I planned on using the device.

No, Raid is not a vooduu.
But Raid is also not a backup!
An IT professional knows that.
Sorry, but I never wanted to convince anyone.
As already written, was only a tip for home user and not for the IT business!
Feel free to continue with NAS device and Raid.

If you are an IT professional, you know how long it takes to rebuild an array.
All HDDs are used over a long period of time.
If now still further HDDs of the array fail (Probability is very high the larger the array), then it was with the rebuilding of the Raid array.
But you know that even as an IT professional!
Good luck with RAID on Home Nas devices.

All this is really not worth arguing over. You don't like NAS units or RAID then fine, you do you. I am an older IT guy with more than 2x the time in the industry as cartman and I agree with his points. I fully researched NAS units before I spent all the cash on one (they are not cheap) and I believe they are trustworthy. Far better than and more reliable than what I was doing for sure.

Just my 2 cents. We can agree to disagree, no harm no foul.

As I mentioned I liked both Synology and QNAP. I did like the Synology software a little better but I liked the QNAP hardware more. So I went with the hardware due to performance and price point. Specifically the networking as I was looking for at least 2.5GB NICs. Just personal preference as it relates to how I planned on using the device.
Understood ... What brought me to Synology was the mass of Software they have included, not to mention the huge number of 3rd party apps ... there was a time, when I had a Minecraft Server, Teamspeak Server, Plex Server, DNS Server, Mail Server on one device and additionally with their Hypervisor solution ran 2 VMs on it :dance:

Reactions: DQ
Understood ... What brought me to Synology was the mass of Software they have included, not to mention the huge number of 3rd party apps ... there was a time, when I had a Minecraft Server, Teamspeak Server, Plex Server, DNS Server, Mail Server on one device and additionally with their Hypervisor solution ran 2 VMs on it :dance:

I know QNAP can run VMs as well. I even added more RAM to my NAS thinking I was going to use that function and I still might for fun. But as it sits I have a separate box running VM's I use daily and Plex is another box (it had to be hardware because I use a tuner card). But what you mention about Synology software is what I had gleaned that their software was better. I just went with the hardware knowing I planned on only using it for a NAS for Plex.

Sorry, I never meant to argue, everyone is allowed to disagree.
It was only meant as information or a hint for beginners with NAS devices who might read this post here.
I like NAS and have several NAS.
I also like RAID, but only in the professional IT business.
High availability doesn't matter in the home.
Here I agree with cartman0208
If you don't need that kind of high availability, stick with single disks
PLUS: do backps in any case
Yes correct, my opinion is that a NAS is perfect for us if it is used at home with single disc/volume and not with Raid.
Yes I can agree to disagree, no harm no foul.
:)

Sorry, I never meant to argue, everyone is allowed to disagree.
It was only meant as information or a hint for beginners with NAS devices who might read this post here.
I like NAS and have several NAS.
I also like RAID, but only in the professional IT business.
High availability doesn't matter in the home.
Here I agree with cartman0208

Yes correct, my opinion is that a NAS is perfect for us if it is used at home with single disc/volume and not with Raid.
Yes I can agree to disagree, no harm no foul.
:)

No worries at all. Happy to discuss such things even if we disagree.

I also think this is a good discussion since I intend to set up a NAS this winter and I had similar thoughts back and forth regarding RAID(5).

I also think this is a good discussion since I intend to set up a NAS this winter and I had similar thoughts back and forth regarding RAID(5).

I think it makes sense to use RAID5 in this arena but clearly that is up for debate.

I just wonder - maybe Balor can answer that - regarding cost regarding RAID 5 / backing up on separate hard drives. Is the backup solution more cost efficient compared to RAID5? Backups can use compression but video files don't really compress well.

I just wonder - maybe Balor can answer that - regarding cost regarding RAID 5 / backing up on separate hard drives. Is the backup solution more cost efficient compared to RAID5? Backups can use compression but video files don't really compress well.

The 2 things are not mutually exclusive. In fact, in my mind, if you are using RAID5 you should still be doing backups. The reason to use RAID5 is so you can lose a hard drive and NOT have to do a restore. When you are talking 5,10, 15TB or more a restore will take a LONG time. My restores were talking half a day or more at 10TB or so and using USB3.1 .

I don't wanna know then how long it would take to do a restore of my 24TB lol (actually used), full system capacity is 37TB

I don't wanna know then how long it would take to do a restore of my 24TB lol (actually used), full system capacity is 37TB

Depends on the drives in use and the interface they go through but , yeah ,that's a LONG time.

It's a legit concern though. I am still doing backups at about 15TB but they take all day to run. A restore would take just as long or worse.

I already have plans for my new years "13th month" paycheck. My Pixel 3XL needs replacing. Imma grab the 6 Pro with it. A nas is a long time item on the wishlist but not until next summer. I've been doing 20+ years with zero full systems backups it'll last another year :p

Thanks, guys! If you suggest backups anyway, I think doing this on external hard drives is the better solution since they are cheaper anyway than bare SATA hard disks (which is perverted but it is the way it is). And on the other side you are supposed to use more expensive bare NAS drives anyway in your NAS. Therefore I tend to go with a NAS w/o RAID5 and doing backups with USB3 hard disks.

Thanks, guys! If you suggest backups anyway, I think doing this on external hard drives is the better solution since they are cheaper anyway than bare SATA hard disks (which is perverted but it is the way it is). And on the other side you are supposed to use more expensive bare NAS drives anyway in your NAS. Therefore I tend to go with a NAS w/o RAID5 and doing backups with USB3 hard disks.

I use RAID5 with USB3.1 hard drive backup. But part of the reason I use a removeable drive is so when we have hurricanes I can pick it up (with the NAS) and run.

Hurricane season is almost standard in the south east of the US and the awareness is there. But even here in Germany we had incredible floodings lately. If you missed it I can send pictures. A really, really tiny creek turned into a stream that destroyed the whole area. Check "Ahrweiler" "flooding" in Google. Things happened nobody ever believed they could happen. I used to live in Michigan and I'm very much aware how bad it can get in Florida, Lousiana and Texas.

Hurricane season is almost standard in the south east of the US and the awareness is there. But even here in Germany we had incredible floodings lately. If you missed it I can send pictures. A really, really tiny creek turned into a stream that destroyed the whole area. Check "Ahrweiler" "flooding" in Google. Things happened nobody ever believed they could happen. I used to live in Michigan and I'm very much aware how bad it can get in Florida, Lousiana and Texas.

I understand totally man. People seem to get real complacent with the weather but the reality is that stuff never stops changing. We had 16 years in-between Katrina and Ida and some people were lulled into a false sense of safety. But here we are again all beat up and messy due to a nasty hurricane. And yes, when Ida came in I hauled butt and took the NAS and backup drive with me.

Some interesting history (and I was thinking of this recently) is that one of the worst Hurricanes to hit this area was in 69. I think technically it was the 2nd strongest on record (which does not mean much relatively given the 100yrs or so we have been keeping records) but it was Camille and the winds were at least 200mph. It was likely higher but the wind measuring instruments broke. Basically everything it touched turned into a bare slab.

My point? Never get complacent and always be on your toes and don't live on the Gulf Coast if you can help it :p

Living there is your choice - isn't it? Mostly nice weather compared to the nasty long winters in Michigan I really hated. 2 girls from Germany I know from school decided to have a round trip New York Florida. Hurricane Wilma was announced. They thought this can't be so terrible and refused the option to fly back to Germany. They had 3 days without fresh water, electricity and no toilets working. The respect of hurricanes grew dramatically.

Snow birds need to be tough birds (y).

Living there is your choice - isn't it? Mostly nice weather compared to the nasty long winters in Michigan I really hated. 2 girls from Germany I know from school decided to have a round trip New York Florida. Hurricane Wilma was announced. They thought this can't be so terrible and refused the option to fly back to Germany. They had 3 days without fresh water, electricity and no toilets working. The respect of hurricanes grew dramatically.

@coopervid , I'm kind of curious.

What part of Michigan did you live at when you were living there?

I have friends and family that lives on the eastern side of Michigan, between Detroit and the Tri-cities (Bay City, Saginaw, Midland for those not from Michigan), but I won't say exactly where.

If you'd like, you could PM me and I'll tell you where exactly, but only between the 2 of us.

Yes it is my choice. After Ida I considered moving but all my family is here (and I was born here). Yes we have hurricanes but as you elude to outside of that things are relatively good with the weather. We got hot as hell during the summer but we don't have cold winters or earthquakes. I have a friend in Michigan and he has to actually prepare for the winter ever year. That is a concept that is foreign to me. But still, moving is on my mind. My family has discussed it in the past and it will come up again.

Back