• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PS 18 error

more to come..

Thanks Webslinger

I searched back and found a few "PS 18" errors that appeared with 6400 and may have gone away with a later update. Not sure - I'm asking for feedback on these.

I got a short comment some weeks ago from James on one of those saying "encrypted sector" but this is open to review.

More to come... 8)

Old error but for a new reason?

This PS 18 error surfaced a long time ago and was considered fixed in CloneDVD.

There have been two instances in the past two or three months. Both of those were fixed after 64xx AnyDVD by updating both AnyDVD and CloneDVD to the latest level.

He found some info in an old post on a forum:

PS18 = PES ScramblingControlUnsupported. This means, that CloneDVD detected a CSS encrypted sector on an unencrypted disc. This happens, if AnyDVD is exited during copy / transcoding, shuts down because it was cracked or if the user changed AnyDVD's settings while using CloneDVD.

It should never happen during normal operation as CloneDVD will not start to copy an encrypted disc

------------------

I'll pass on the suggestions.

BTW: the most recent "PS 18" error was a user with a NEC DV-5800A on XP Home. This went away after updating to 6412 AnyDVD. I

Last edited:
This PS 18 error surfaced a long time ago and was considered fixed in CloneDVD.

There have been two instances in the past two or three months. Both of those were fixed after 64xx AnyDVD by updating both AnyDVD and CloneDVD to the latest level.

He found some info in an old post on a forum:

PS18 = PES ScramblingControlUnsupported. This means, that CloneDVD detected a CSS encrypted sector on an unencrypted disc. This happens, if AnyDVD is exited during copy / transcoding, shuts down because it was cracked or if the user changed AnyDVD's settings while using CloneDVD.

It should never happen during normal operation as CloneDVD will not start to copy an encrypted disc

------------------

I'll pass on the suggestions.

Thanks for this information, Frank. :)

Fixed once / needs to be fixed again

In the tickets I'm working in support I've shipped older versions of AnyDVD and CloneDVD for testing. The error is most likely an unexpected CSS error or a CSS unit that surfaces in a way that AnyDVD does not expect. Researching this has shown:

1. this has happened in the past

2. this was "fixed" on a one-for-one basis to mean a certain DVD caused it and this one DVD was addressed and "solved". In December of 2007 this was addressed in AnyDVD for one DVD.

3. this means it is a matter of circumstances if another DVD at a later time exhibits this behaviour and it may be totally unintentional on the part of the studio - like winning the lottery.

4. Several of these PS18 errors have been fixed in the past weeks by UPGRADING - verified with direct inquiry on closed tickets: "upgrading to 6412 and 2917, etc. = fixed".

5. To "4": two "new" PS18 users started getting PS18 AFTER upgrading to 6412 and 2917

Conclusion:

This is not a new protection but is likely a wheel-of-fortune situation in AnyDVD pertaining to the CSS material. The bit-set error may be occurring because something LOOKS LIKE a CSS item and it is appearing in the wrong place at the wrong time. Since this is unexpected, the alarm is set as if a setting changed in AnyDVD after execution or a crack-like face appears, etc. and this is a "stop the show" interrupt.

More on this as I get feedback later today. ;)

------------------------
Update 21 April - Support Ticket
-----------------------

Action: Sent the customer 6404 AnyDVD and 2915 CloneDVD:

Result: "I have installed anydvd 6404 and and clone 2915 and this works fine and the preview is there in CloneDVD
I have updated anydvd to 6412 and all is fine !!!! working with CloneDVD (2915).
I have not updated clone as it is working !!!!
If I rip the dvd using the ripper i still get ps18 error!!!

Next Action: Ask for a downgrade to 6404 again and see if this rips OK.

Conclusion: CloneDVD >2915 may be broke using the normal scan / burn cycle and the same error appears to have found its way into AnyDVD >6404.

UPDATE 25 April

Heard back from BOTH users with "all DVDs cause PS18".

Downgrading to 6317 AnyDVD got these users going again. CloneDVD is 2915 and 2917. This scenario is 180 degrees out from the two PS18 tickets from late March/early April fixed by updating to 6400+ and seems to be independent of the CloneDVD version installed.

Beginning to suspect something on the system may be a factor here as this is not logical.

Update - 2 May :

This has been passed to James

Two addtional users >6400 now getting this error.

Last edited:
I consider this coincidences.
EDIT: If *all* CSS protected suddenly cause PS18 errors, this is a system issue.

A very related problem (APS error) was solved here:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?p=109065#post109065

OTOH, if only *some* discs cause a PS18 error, this might be related to the AnyDVD version.

Welcome to the PS18 club

If you are not one of my four-of-a-kind customers working with me through support tickets then welcome to a really unique issue. This error was usually fixed in the past to address a DVD and it's been fixed every time.

You are one of very few getting this PS18 error ABOVE 64xx. :(

There are voices saying the issue is one of hardware like your busmaster/IDE drivers or the cable to the DVD drive or similar.

You can take a look here:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=16573&highlight=ide+drivers

Good luck.

Always something new....

It looks like updating the bus / busmaster drivers fixes this. :p

Got feedback from a ticket that this did it. Remaining to be explained is why this hardware error manifested itself through 6400+ changes in AnyDVD.

There's always something new in this business.... ;)

It looks like updating the bus / busmaster drivers fixes this. :p

Yes, as I already told you here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=25

You do read my posts, don't you?

Got feedback from a ticket that this did it. Remaining to be explained is why this hardware error manifested itself through 6400+ changes in AnyDVD.

There's always something new in this business.... ;)

I honestly don't believe it has anything to do with the AnyDVD
version, there weren't any major changes to the AnyDVD.sys driver
(apart from BD+ removal).

Uninstalling / installing the *same* version can show different
results, as the driver load order in the stack *may* be different,
resulting in different behaviour.

In case of the busmaster driver (which should always be at the end of
the chain) I believe there is some other interaction, or it was just a
coincidence.

Welcome info.

Yes, as I already told you here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=25

You do read my posts, don't you?

I honestly don't believe it has anything to do with the AnyDVD
version, there weren't any major changes to the AnyDVD.sys driver
(apart from BD+ removal).

Uninstalling / installing the *same* version can show different
results, as the driver load order in the stack *may* be different,
resulting in different behaviour.

In case of the busmaster driver (which should always be at the end of
the chain) I believe there is some other interaction, or it was just a
coincidence.

Of course - it just takes time to look everywhere an update could possibly exist and the info in the ticket on this one was very helpful.

Thanks, James!!:clap:

Back