Profiles not working after upgrading to 3.0.1.3

Discussion in 'GameJackal' started by nightsoil, Apr 26, 2008.

  1. nightsoil

    nightsoil New Member

    Hello,

    After upgrading to GameJackal Pro 3.0.1.3 my profiles are not working.

    Regardless of which one I try to run, I get the error message:

    With the game's CD in the drive the profile will start (and update itself afterwards). However if I run the profile again without the CD it gives the same error message.

    PC details:
    • Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    • 2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual Core
    • ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-VM CSM Rev 1.xx
    • PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D

    I vaguely recall having to recreate all my profiles after an upgrade, back in 2.x days, but it'd be nice not to have to do it all again.

    N.
     
  2. matthew

    matthew SlySoft Team Member

    What version did you upgrade from?
    If you create a new profile, does that work ok?

    When upgrading GJ we take great care in making sure existing/working profiles still work. However, sometimes there are issues.
     
  3. nightsoil

    nightsoil New Member

    I had upgraded from only a slightly earlier release, I think, but I don't seem to have kept the previous installer files so I can't tell what version I was running before. Was sure it was 3.x though.

    I deleted one of the profiles and recreated it, now I get the message:

    Oh well... GJ used to work fine, maybe I can downgrade?

    N.
     
  4. Webslinger

    Webslinger Retired Moderator

  5. matthew

    matthew SlySoft Team Member

    That error message is generally to do with a timing issue. Make sure you computer is not busy when capturing the profile (ie when GJ is finalizing the profile). Also... can you upgrade to v3.0.1.4 and test the older profiles to see if the exceptions are still occurring?
     
  6. Nige

    Nige Member

    I've mentioned this before (in the forum's previous incarnation) and I'll say it again, because it does seem to be a recurring issue for me at least: Every time I update GJ it breaks previously working profiles. This happened so many times with the previous version of GJ that I simply gave up updating GJ at all (until GJ was acquired by Slysoft), but I'm in the same old situation where the whole point of using GJ, to avoid wear and tear on the original game disc, is negated totally by having to run the said disk multiple times to create a profile again. Once again it's getting to the stage where I'm actually using the game disk more to re-create the profiles than I would if I were to just play the game from the original disk. Which defeats the object of GJ, doesn't it?
     
  7. Entity

    Entity Well-Known Member

    It's strange you have problems when upgrading.

    I installed the latest *proper* enterprise release today and the profiles copied over from the old Maplom version to v2.9 fine.

    We did have a hiccup with profiles going to the Beta of EE v3, but I even managed to get a couple of them working fine too (just needed a bit of pursuading)

    If you still have the old profiles and old install id number, try this...

    1) Uninstall GJ
    2) Go through your registry manually deleting all entries with these keywords...
    MAPLOM, GAMEJACKAL, SLYSOFT (<- be careful if you have any other slysoft products you only delete the keys relating to GJ)
    3) Delete the MAPLOM &/or SLYSOFT folders from program files
    4) reboot PC
    5) run a virus & spyware scan then defrag your HDD
    6) reinstall your last version of GJ and put in the "old" id number so your profiles will work
    7) copy back your profile library

    and that should work - worked for me.
     
  8. matthew

    matthew SlySoft Team Member

    This is a tough area for us. To move forward and make the product better, we need to change things. However we are always mindfully of existing users and make every effort to ensure we don't break old profiles. But sometimes this is unavoidable.

    My advice, only upgrade if you need too... if it aint broke, dont fix it.
     
  9. Entity

    Entity Well-Known Member

    Just one idea Matthew, if you have to change things substantially, would it be possible to write a small additional application that modifies existing profiles to work with the new version?

    IMHO changing things to move forward is always good and personally, I don't mind spending the extra time re-profiling things if it means I get a better product at the end of the day.

    Ok, as I said earlier re-profiling isn't at the top of my "favourite things to waste time on" list, but if it's a choice between that and having a product that works with all the new games & protections OR not being able to get the newer games profiled, it's a no-brainer really.
     
  10. matthew

    matthew SlySoft Team Member

    This is not a bad idea, and we have looked at doing this. The problem is the time involved (and the testing). With the version 3 drivers, we hope that this issue will become obsolete over time.
     
  11. nightsoil

    nightsoil New Member

    Creating new profiles in 3.0.1.3 did not work for me, unfortunately.

    I am trying again now with 3.0.1.5 - and have downloaded 3.0.1.6 as a Plan B. Plan C is to go back to 2.9.18.600 which was the last version where my existing profiles worked on this PC...

    Caveat Upgrador

    N.
     
  12. matthew

    matthew SlySoft Team Member

    Get the latest beta version and try that. It has much better bug reporting and will allow us to better fix the error.