• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problems with The Messengers DVD from Sony

Maybe, Slysoft should just buy DVD Shrink like they did with CloneDVD and Elaborate Bytes so Shrink can be kept alive and updated. Shrink really is a great little product and I would hate to see it go away.

The "developer" of Shrink now works for Nero (Recode) so I don't think that is a possibility. The discussion of "upgrading" CloneDVD to the quality of Shrink was discussed on another thread, along with the $$$ projected to do it. Folks complained about that too. Personally, I wouldn't mind the extra few dollars if the quality is significantly better. The fact that updates are done to work with the new releases are worth it.

Ever have an old Windows 3.1 or 95 based program that you really liked, but wouldn't work when XP or Vista came out? Think M$ would be willing to change their product for your old outdated unsupported program, even if it is good?

Last edited:
Time to throw out Shrink support tomorrow. :mad:
Just to clarify ... I wasn't serious. We won't drop support for Shrink tomorrow. Maybe we'll wait until next week. :D

Just to clarify ... I wasn't serious. We won't drop support for Shrink tomorrow. Maybe we'll wait until next week. :D

You just might be in a good enough mood to let this ride till next month even I bet? :D

.but now that the companies have targeted clone exclusively

This is complete nonsense as dvdfab also is suffering (so this issue is hardly exclusive to Clonedvd) from the same attack (if it is an attack . . . seems a bit weird to target clonedvd and dvdfab and not Shrink, which is freeware and easily accessible to anyone).

maybe you should keep clone around just as a fake target and keep supporting shrink

No. Until Shrink can split across two single layer disks and retain the main menus, I'll keep using Clonedvd for dvd-5. I've always disliked any kind of compression.

clone's so crappy now that it's pointless trying anymore

Comments like this are completely useless, purposely inflammatory, and are not constructive.

from http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4

"While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters."

"We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules, as access to our support forums is a privilege and not a right. A banned customer is still entitled to support from the support system."

Consider this a warning, therivetman :policeman:

By the way, I can't remember the last time I used Shrink for anything other than to help users here.

Last edited:

Oh great . . . I can't wait to deal with screaming Shrink users again. ;)

Maybe if I behaved like some of the more vocal, ruder, Shrink fans, Elby would have given me bitsetting in Clonedvd by now. You know, and this isn't directed at James, many Clonedvd users don't use Clonedvd to make backups of ads, previews, etc (I appreciate that you should be able to if you want). So, I don't understand where all this hostility is coming from since if you just want the main movie, Clonedvd will work fine. It's not as though Clonedvd is completely broken.

And Clonedvd probably still works fine as a pre-processor for Shrink and Recode with these films.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm surprised you haven't heard from the Screamin' SamuriHL. :D Think it's vacation time?

Hey I resemble that remark! :D While I'm vocal about supporting the Shrink community, you should know, I don't personally use it. ;) I use CloneDVD to rip my movies, Recode to compress, and IMGBurn to burn. Guess how many issues *I've* run into... ;) However, if we start to see issues from Shrink users not being able to use AnyDVD, you can bet someone will scream. They are a very loyal bunch of people.

I just wanted to throw another comment into this thread. People need to remember that no tool is going to work 100% of the time for 100% of the people out there. I have many tools that I use depending on what I'm trying to back up. Shrink is good and has some very impressive compression. Recode is slightly faster and has as good of a compression engine(it should, it's by the same author). CloneDVD's compression engine is very fast but sacrifices quality on movies that require more compression. So, if you have a movie that requires only minimal compression, CloneDVD's the way to go. If you need more compression, Shrink or Recode is a good choice. However, you can't easily reauthor a movie while retaining the menus using Shrink or Recode. So when you see some of us talking about "pre-processing" with CloneDVD, this is what we mean...load up the movie in CloneDVD, set the output to DVD R DL, unselect unwanted titlesets(trailers, warnings, logos, etc), and then output to the hard drive. After that, use Shrink or Recode to compress. This method has always worked for me. I suspect it'll also deal with everyone's problem with this particular disc, as well.

Since version 7 Nero is nothing but bloatware.

I swear by Goody's Headache Powders. I won't use anything else.

footer_product.jpg

Last edited:
the messengers

I posted a while back about a small problem with this dvd, and that I could only copy the movie
but my two cents on clone dvd, this is my thoughts only, I have been with them since the begining and am very satisified with clone and any dvd
those who think they should dump clone dvd,you people are very lucky to have James and company and should keep those remarks to yourself

My two cents

THanks to everyone for the advice. I went with AnyDVD and ClondDVD 2 and just took out the ads and previews. I left in the extra features, and it still came out fine. It was a bit rate issue, with all the extra crap it was showing to be 3.1 gigs, as soon as I took the ads and previews out, it went to the standard 4.36 gigs. So no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, I have been with slysoft forever and they usually update their programs in a timely manner. Also, we have great forums where we can all sit around and figure something out in the meantime. Gotta admit, I do enjoy the challenge sometimes. It's kinda fun.

Is this what you want Webslinger????

This is step 8 as you have requested. This is from the original disc I have:

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.0)
PIONEER DVD-RWDVR-K16D 1.00 05/12/28PIONEER
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2015392 sectors (3936 MBytes)
Total size: 3925316 sectors (7666 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: THE_MESSENGERS
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed wrong DVD structure!
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

this is step 8 from the backup copy I made:

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.0)
PIONEER DVD-RWDVR-K16D 1.00 05/12/28PIONEER
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd+r (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 1569344 sectors (3065 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: THE_MESSENGERS
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Back