• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problems with Star Trek DS9 on Netflix in sweden...

Sasurai

I'm getting a max rez of 576x432 trying to get the old Star Trek Deep Space Nine series of Netflix, is that really right? Seems to be a really low, I know it's an old series but like 432? Really?

That is the correct resolution, sadly. It applys for Voyager as well.
TNG, TOS and TAS (animated series) are remastered, 1440x1080, but DS9 and VOY never got a remaster because of money. I hope it will come one day, though.

It might be different on Paramount+ or Amz, but I don't know that as P+ is not available in germany yet and on Amz you have to pay as it is not inlcuded in prime. And that is not a small fee, especially if you want to get all 7 (14) seasons.
But I doubt that, at least for Amz since the button said "buy -sd". Most times you can choose to buy or rent it in either SD or HD, with a small benefit on SD, but there it only says SD...
So the only hope I have left is P+, since they are (closer to) the source.

As far as I know that low res for DS9 is correct and no one has it any better.

432 is correct (thats 480p NTSC dvd standard) minus the black bars. It's too old to have a higher resolution. It would require remastering all the material (if it's even still available)

Reactions: DQ
432 is correct (thats 480p NTSC dvd standard) minus the black bars. It's too old to have a higher resolution. It would require remastering all the material (if it's even still available)

From what I understand it was filmed in a format that did not lend itself to remastering like STNG did. I am not sure if that means a remaster is impossible or just too costly to be profitable. I bought STNG on Blu-Ray (it was a pretty expensive), I would do the same for DS9 if they were able to do it.

Well well, then 432 it is then, a bit corny but I just love it for some reason... Thanx guys.

Well that does imo fall a bit under "too old" :)

I am by no means an expert on the topic, but STNG is older than DS9 and it was remastered so while I think you are right in that age plays a part in this I don't think it's the only thing that matters.

I am just thinking back to how some older titles look great in 4k remasters while some that are significantly newer look worse. I recall specifically that "Unforgiven" from 1992 in 4k looks beyond amazing.

I am by no means an expert on the topic, but STNG is older than DS9 and it was remastered so while I think you are right in that age plays a part in this I don't think it's the only thing that matters.

I am just thinking back to how some older titles look great in 4k remasters while some that are significantly newer look worse. I recall specifically that "Unforgiven" from 1992 in 4k looks beyond amazing.

There are lots of factors in play (original recording medium, edited medium, how it was stored, and especially willingness of distributors to pay for upgrades). ST TNG was supposedly an expensive proposition for Paramount (edited on video, so have to go back to the original master film and recreate the edits and effects, which is expensive) , and poorly timed, as physical media sales had plateaued. DS9/Voyager I think were filmed on video, which makes it even more expensive, for less popular titles and much less expected return. Until someone shows that Paramount Plus needs them remastered to draw customers, it's not likely to happen.

Most theatrical movies are either on film or high quality digital, so upgrades are less expensive and generally look better.

Reactions: DQ
From what I understand it was filmed in a format that did not lend itself to remastering like STNG did. I am not sure if that means a remaster is impossible or just too costly to be profitable. I bought STNG on Blu-Ray (it was a pretty expensive), I would do the same for DS9 if they were able to do it.

Not so, it was filmed on 35mm film like the others. In fact the recent fan-funded documentary "What we left behind" included a number of scenes they paid to properly remaster (in full fat widescreen no less - and it looked fantastic!). Unlike TNG, the chief cameraman for the show made a point of keeping stupid things out of the entire field of view at all times!). Scanning and cleaning up the original negs was easy, but redoing them special effects is harder - DS9 used a lot of model work, but started using more computer effects too - and these have to be rebuilt from scratch. Apparently the main problem isn't the lack of good quality original film, but the money required (it takes a lot of manpower). The TNG remaster was popular with the fans, but didn't sell widely enough to recoup the cost, so they stopped there...

Not so, it was filmed on 35mm film like the others. In fact the recent fan-funded documentary "What we left behind" included a number of scenes they paid to properly remaster (in full fat widescreen no less - and it looked fantastic!). Unlike TNG, the chief cameraman for the show made a point of keeping stupid things out of the entire field of view at all times!). Scanning and cleaning up the original negs was easy, but redoing them special effects is harder - DS9 used a lot of model work, but started using more computer effects too - and these have to be rebuilt from scratch. Apparently the main problem isn't the lack of good quality original film, but the money required (it takes a lot of manpower). The TNG remaster was popular with the fans, but didn't sell widely enough to recoup the cost, so they stopped there...

Good info! I would suspect part of the unpopularity of the remaster disc sales was streaming services and it's hefty price tag. Well at least by the time I got to it was pretty costly. But you would think maybe the streaming services would chip in for a remaster. Just a thought.

Another crappy thing about not getting a remaster of DS9 and Voyager, is that they are Variable Frame Rate. Some of the special effect space scenes are 30FPS and the rest of it is 24FPS. I think some of the effects were done in the UK and they elected to go with 30FPS. After encoding with Handbrake (even using the VFR setting), some players have a hard time with it. Some of the space scenes are not smooth at all. They look like a frame is missing about every half second. I wish we could get a remaster at some point, but according to Paramount, the remaster of TNG took an incredible amount of work digging through tons of old footage to find what was needed. There is even a footnote on the back of the remaster BD about 3-4 episodes that have a few seconds to a few mins of SD because they were unable to find the original footage. Hoping that one day a remaster will happen. Totally sucks to let such iconic series die on DVD :(

Another crappy thing about not getting a remaster of DS9 and Voyager, is that they are Variable Frame Rate. Some of the special effect space scenes are 30FPS and the rest of it is 24FPS. I think some of the effects were done in the UK and they elected to go with 30FPS. After encoding with Handbrake (even using the VFR setting), some players have a hard time with it. Some of the space scenes are not smooth at all. They look like a frame is missing about every half second. I wish we could get a remaster at some point, but according to Paramount, the remaster of TNG took an incredible amount of work digging through tons of old footage to find what was needed. There is even a footnote on the back of the remaster BD about 3-4 episodes that have a few seconds to a few mins of SD because they were unable to find the original footage. Hoping that one day a remaster will happen. Totally sucks to let such iconic series die on DVD :(

In my opinion they were not just iconic. They were masterpieces of sci-fi writing.

Speaking of STNG on Blu-Ray. I did buy it and I found a whole episode missing. I had to use AS to get it. Thought that was really weird.

Back