• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problems with Catch and Release

phil1970

Greetings,

I purchased Catch and Release for my S.O. today (it was just released here) and was unable to make a back-up copy of it. The AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 combo usually works...I pulled out my bag of tricks (I work in IT so I have few tricks up my sleeve) that I use when the aforementioned combo goes awry; I tried these other combinations of things that produced a good back-up copy in similar past situations, and nothing at all would work.

Here is a big surprise...Catch and Release is from Sony...why do they do this?

I am a paying customer and I should be able to make a back-up copy so that my S.O. doesn't damage the original.

Anyway, any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.:confused:

Which versions of the sofware are you using, what hardare are you using, and what type of error are you getting. Essentially, with what you have stated all we know is "It doesn't work for you"?

I tried AVD-DVD + Shink and did not experience and problems.. ALso ANY-DVD Ripper and then I'll go the DVD-RB route and don't expect any problems.

Last edited:
The current releases of AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 worked fine for me with this movie(R1)....

Catch & Release

Greetings,

I purchased Catch and Release for my S.O. today (it was just released here) and was unable to make a back-up copy of it. The AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 combo usually works...I pulled out my bag of tricks (I work in IT so I have few tricks up my sleeve) that I use when the aforementioned combo goes awry; I tried these other combinations of things that produced a good back-up copy in similar past situations, and nothing at all would work.

Here is a big surprise...Catch and Release is from Sony...why do they do this?

I am a paying customer and I should be able to make a back-up copy so that my S.O. doesn't damage the original.

Anyway, any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.:confused:

Thanks for warning us so we can avoid purchasing this title.

There shouldn't be a big problem with Catch & Release. It can be confusing though because the DVD has both the widescreen and fullscreen versions on it. Title 2 or 3 is the widescreen version and Title 13 is the fullscreen, I think.

Here's my status window for Catch and Release. Seems fishy, but I've restarted and checked it twice.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.4.3)
TSSTCORP CD/DVDW TS-H652M 0414 1002
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (parallel)

Total size: 3850992 sectors (7521 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: CATCH_AND_RELEASE
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Here's my status window for Catch and Release. Seems fishy, but I've restarted and checked it twice.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.4.3)
TSSTCORP CD/DVDW TS-H652M 0414 1002
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (parallel)

Total size: 3850992 sectors (7521 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: CATCH_AND_RELEASE
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Based on Anydvd's status window, there's absolutely nothing special about this disc. In fact, dvdshrink should be able to handle this title by itself.

Please give the full error message you get when using Clonedvd.

Last edited:
Based on Anydvd's status window, there's absolutely nothing special about this disc. In fact, were it not for CSS protection dvd shrink could handle this title by itself.

There really is nothing else. Music & Lyrics was the same. Shockingly Deliver Us From Evil was well protected but then again I hadn't realized it would be a LionsGate release.

As I said, though, there are both widescreen and fullscreen versions on the Catch & Release DVD. Now, the tricky part can be the menu when you make a backup that only includes one version of the movie. If you click Play on the menu and then accidentally pick the version of the movie that you didn't back up then it'll throw you back to the menu again but now you aren't given the option of what version to play if you click Play again. It will keep trying the nonexistent title thereby throwing you into an endless loop of annoyance. For me, I have to click the Title button on my remote, then pick the right version and then it'll play. Otherwise the only option once you've screwed up is to turn off the DVD player and turn it back on.

Last edited:
I haven't had any problems backing up what I buy. I'm just posting the window to show what protection there is.

I haven't had any problems backing up what I buy. I'm just posting the window to show what protection there is.

There isn't any (except CSS).

Oops, I thought you were the OP. :doh: Heh heh heh :eek: Me stupid. Sorry

phil1970, do steps 8 and 9 from here please

Last edited:
Based on Anydvd's status window, there's absolutely nothing special about this disc. In fact, were it not for CSS protection dvd shrink could handle this title by itself.

Actually, if all this title has is standard css encryption - DVDShrink should handle it just fine? It's the corrupt sectors and phony files that some discs have, making them a non standard compliant dvd disc, that throw DVDShrink for a loop?

Actually, if all this title has is standard css encryption - DVDShrink should handle it just fine? It's the corrupt sectors and phony files that some discs have, making them a non standard compliant dvd disc, that throw DVDShrink for a loop?

Yes, I keep forgetting Shrink can open standard css protected discs by itself (I rarely use the program for anything). Thank you

Last edited:
Yes, I keep forgetting Shrink can open standard css protected discs by itself (I rarely use the program for anything). Thank you

As you know - I am a great fan of DVDShrink - but I do not believe I have ever used it to decrypt anything.

Catch and Release

I also cannot make a backup copy of my disc. My computer will not even recognize that a disc is in the drive, but the original plays fine in a DVD player.

I also cannot make a backup copy of my disc. My computer will not even recognize that a disc is in the drive, but the original plays fine in a DVD player.

a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
c) Reboot
d) Put a retail movie disc in your drive.
e)Go to "my computer"-->the appropriate drive letter

Do you see a video_ts folder?

Last edited:
Many Thanks

Greetings,

Thank you to everybody that replied. I have done some suggested reading (steps for posting error messages and being more specific) and I've been enlightened.

The problem is actually much simpler than I had anticipated; it is a defective disc!.......:eek:

It would not play in my DVD player either...I will exchange the disc and let you all know how it turns out.

Anyway, thank you all for your help. Please accept my apologies for what appears to have been a false alarm.

Catch And Release is on a single sided dual layer dvd...are you using a dvddl to read and decode it?

I used AnyDVD 6.1.4.3 and Recode to back-up the main movie only without any issues.

I'm gonna sound like a parrot but in my mind 99% of the errors people get doing backups are due to either a bad original disk/blank disk (dirty, defective etc.) or a drive thats going bad.:agree:

I'm gonna sound like a parrot but in my mind 99% of the errors people get doing backups are due to either a bad original disk/blank disk (dirty, defective etc.) or a drive thats going bad.:agree:

I'll agree but I'll also add that there are a lot of user error issues, too. Heck, even I make mistakes now and then which when I realize the mistake irritates the living hell out of me because it was so stupid. I'd say there are far far more user errors that happen than anyone is willing to admit.

Back