Problems with "Capote"?

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by noctrine, Apr 25, 2007.

1. noctrine

noctrine Member

Hi all,

Long time user of AnyDVD. It has never failed me, except for now. I thought I had a bad copy of the Capote DVD, so I returned it and got another--the "failed to read" errors began at the same sector!

AnyDVD 6.1.3.6 has "found & removed" for the following:
    • CSS
    • structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)
    • invalid VOBUs
    • 3 bad sector protections

Yet I'm still getting read errors in CloneCD. Is anyone else having problems with the Capote DVD? US version. I have a Plextor 716A drive, and, again, I've never run into a DVD I couldn't read.

Thank you,

2. noctrine

noctrine Member

update

Here is what AnyDVD says for the disc:

And here is what CloneCD says:
    [snip]

3. mmdavis

mmdavis Well-Known Member

Generally, failed to read sectors means a bad disc. I have heard of people having to return 2-3 before they got a good one. They can come in bunches just like our blank media can.

4. noctrine

noctrine Member

This is the 2nd disc, and I'll try a 3rd. I mainly wanted to see if anyone else was having trouble!

5. Franchise

Franchise Well-Known Member

I never did have a problem with the disc. I can't remember what AnyDVD said for it, but no problems here.

6. noctrine

noctrine Member

Well, I'm giving up. Same problem with the third version of the disc. :confused:

7. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

You're probably running into a bunch of bad discs. However, you can send the .ifos into Slysoft for them to take a look at:

visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=330

8. noctrine

noctrine Member

Mmk, we'll see. I sent the email off just now.

Thanks!

9. Webslinger

I noticed you canceled reading the discs. Have you ever just let Clonecd complete, and then check to see if the backups don't work?

10. noctrine

noctrine Member

No, I never did let the read finish. I've had 2 other movies with errors:

First one: exchanged it, 2nd copy was fine
    Second one: let the read finish (there were only a few bad sectors) and burned the backup. There was corruption/skipping on playback.

Since this one had many, many more read errors (and looked like it was going to take hours to read) I aborted, assuming the resulting backup would be useless.

11. Webslinger

That has nothing to do with Anydvd.
    Read this

It's probably just going to take awhile to read.

12. noctrine

noctrine Member

Agreed, I just thought I might see the same thing when backing up another DVD with read errors. That DVD that I'm talking about had a little (but deep) scratch, so I'm guessing there's no way the information encoded in that area made it to the .DVD file, and thus there were gaps and partial frames burned into the backup media. I might have been using terminology loosely (corruption/skipping on playback) - the copy was fine, but the source was bad.

---

With Capote, it was just the first time I'd seen many of those copy protection schemes, so I thought perhaps one of them was "faking" read errors, and would lead to the same results.

Anyway, if you guys have heard of "batches" of bad DVDs, I'll take your word for it. It's not the end of the world if I can't backup 1 DVD, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't run into something AnyDVD couldn't handle.

13. Webslinger

There's a new version of Anydvd out. You may want to try it:
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3986

If you're still have issues you may want to send the ifos to Slysoft and mention you're having problems with Clonecd and that title.
    But there's probably an issue with the source disc you're using.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  14. Jalabar

Jalabar Well-Known Member

I'm curious. If your backing up a DVD shouldn't you be using CloneDVD instead of CloneCD?

15. Webslinger

Last edited: May 3, 2007