• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problems Reading Some DVDs

jischmidt

Hi to all. I am new to this forum so forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong area. I have purchased AnyDvd and have burned a number of DVD's with it. I am running into some strange circumstances however. In about 30% of the cases, the system does not recognize that a disc was inserted into the drive. There are no error messages and if you look at the drive through Explorere, it appears there is no disc in the drive. The rest of the time the system picks up and reads the DVDs just fine. Furhter complicating the situation is that I can take the DVDs that are not recognized by my system and put them into another one and it will recognize it. This leads me to believe that the physical disc is not the issue but I have cleaned them anyway. I don't think the issue is related to AnyDvd since Explorer is not "seeing" anything in the drive. I am lost and seraching for clues. Any help would e greatly appreciated!

a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
c) Reboot
d) Check to see if your system ("my computer") now reports a disc in drive. Do you see a video_ts folder (if you're using a dvd)? Do you see folders or files?

If the answer is "no" to "d)", then Anydvd isn't your problem. As Anydvd is not on your system, Anydvd can't interfere or block the reading process. Possibly your reader or burner is slowing dying, the original disc is bad, or a number of other possibilities exist as well (including messed up ide/sata busdrivers, bad cable on the back of the drive, etc.)

If the answer is "yes", click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=1559 and follow the steps (note that step 4 requires you to post information)

Hi to all. I am new to this forum so forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong area. I have purchased AnyDVD and have burned a number of DVD's with it. I am running into some strange circumstances however. In about 30% of the cases, the system does not recognize that a disc was inserted into the drive. There are no error messages and if you look at the drive through Explorer, it appears there is no disc in the drive. The rest of the time the system picks up and reads the DVDs just fine. Further complicating the situation is that I can take the DVDs that are not recognized by my system and put them into another one and it will recognize it. This leads me to believe that the physical disc is not the issue but I have cleaned them anyway. I don't think the issue is related to AnyDVD since Explorer is not "seeing" anything in the drive. I am lost and searching for clues. Any help would e greatly appreciated!

Is the DVD Region - set for your Source Drive ?

;)

DVD drive region should not be "0"

Please check this out, Shannon.

Right mouse the task bar fox and click "exit"

1. Click start. Right click on "My computer"--->select "properties".
2. Click on the 'Hardware' tab--->click the 'device manager' button.
3. Open the dvd/cdrom branch---> right click on your optical drive
4. Click "properties".
5. You should have a region tab. From there you can select a region.
6. Select the region that matches YOUR COUNTRY.
7. Start Anydvd

This eliminates the issue of "no region" being set. ;)

Thanks for the quick input everyone. I don't have access to my PC today but will try these suggestions in the next day or so and then report back. I am impressed by the quick responses!

The region code is set to 1.

I followed the suggestions you provided. I uninstalled Nero, Roxio, and AnyDVD. I left Clone DVD on. I then reinstalled AnyDvd and I still have the same issue. It's safe to say it is NOT AnyDvd however as I experienced the same issues while ti was uninstalled. I doubt it is the burner as I only installed it 3 months ago. It is a HP DVD Writer 940d.

I have the full complement of MASH on DVD and I am trying to make a copy. Almost all of them have copied just fine. However, I have 5 of them that when I put them in the drive, the system simply does not recognize that a disc is in the drive. However, if I take that disc to any player it works, and I ahve taken it to two other PC's and it works fine. That leads me to thinking that the burner is not the issue nor is the physical disc. I have cleand the discs as well. I'm thinking the issue is software, just not AnyDVD but I am unsure. I'm hoping someone on this forum who has more experience than I can help steer me in the right direction.

Trouble shoot Path

As always when trying to solve a problem the process of elimination is important. Since the problem discs play on 2 other PC's, does it play on the primary, WS's process calls for trying with Anydvd enabled/disabled test if the problem discs don't play with AnyDVD disabled they are unlikely to play enabled thus you are down to a reader or software problem. If another reader available try swapping readers.

More Information

I agree with your statement about process of elimination and that is what I have been trying to do. The other two PCs just have CD burning capability, not DVD. However, when the problem discs are inserted into those systems, the O/S recognizes a disc has been inserted and then Media Player kicks in and plays them.

However, when I put those discs into the primary PC, the one with the DVD burner, the O/S doesn't even recognize a disc is in the drive. This is strue with or without AnyDvd installed. This is leading me to believe that the problem lies with XP, but I don't have a clue as to how to proceed to prove or disprove that theory.

Here are two more facts that I am realizing the more I think about this.

First, I have only run into this issue with the MASH DVDs. There are 35 of them, 9 are not recognized by the system. The other 26 are and they burned just fine with AnyDvd.

Second, when I first began to try burning them, I was using Nero. That would not work as it could not get past the copyguard. But...... the system recognized that the DVD was infact in the drive and I jsut received a message saying something like "sorry, no can copy as the disc has copy guard". Then I discovered AnyDvd and installed it. It burned the 26 as previously mentioned, but it was from this point forward that the 9 are not recognized by the system. When I say not recognized by the system, I mean it appears no disc is in the drive when you look at it through an explorere window. When I followed WS's advice on uninstalling AnyDvd, I am wondering if there is a possibility that it left some type of registry setting behind?

My real problem here is this is not an area of expertise for me and the more I think the more I chase my tail and get confused.

Suggestions?

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on this issue. I am really stuck trying to figure out what else I can try.

It's safe to say it is NOT AnyDvd however as I experienced the same issues while ti was uninstalled.

Yes, then it's not an anydvd issue.

I doubt it is the burner as I only installed it 3 months ago.

Fairly meaningless . . .

Anyway, the issue is either your discs or a hardware issue involving your drive. If you don't have another drive, then buy one (they are rather cheap).

The next step is to try another drive in another computer. If another drive also fails to read the discs, then the problem is likely to be the discs.

Last edited:
I did try it in another drive on another computer and it read fine. That would seem to answer the question is it the disc.

I understand that even though the drive is only 3 months old it could still be the source of the problem, but the fact that I can read and burn many others would also seem to indicate that the drive is not the issue.

I was beginnng to think that the issue could not be AnyDvd until I realized that this issue first cropped up after the initial install of AvyDvd. Prior to that, I was using Nero. Nero recognized the disc in the drive but could not deal with the copyright issue. Hence the move to AnyDvd but then also this issue.

I did try it in another drive on another computer and it read fine. That would seem to answer the question is it the disc.

That suggests the drive is at fault or may simply be a poor reader.

In the system where the discs were recognized, do this: download Nero cd-dvd speed. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is bad and needs to be exchanged even if it plays fine.

If Nero doesn't report read errors then that strongly suggests to me a fault lies with the HP drive.

I was beginnng to think that the issue could not be AnyDvd until I realized that this issue first cropped up after the initial install of AvyDvd.

That makes no difference. Anydvd is incapable of physically wrecking drives nor discs. If you have Anydvd uninstalled, and the problem persists then quite clearly the issue has nothing to do with Anydvd.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I won't have access to the machine for several days so I will your suggestion when I get back. If I do need to replace the burner, any suggestions as to a good one?

Back