problem with region formatting

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by wendyc, Oct 18, 2007.

1. wendyc

wendyc New Member

Hi there, hoping someone can help me with this. I'm sorry to write such a long message, but wanted to include all details.
    I downloaded the trial version of Anydvd and copied several of Dvds without any trouble using DVD Shrink. Then I purchased Anydvd and since then I've been unable to play my copied dvds, even ones I had successfully copied before.
    The dvd I am currently experimenting with is Arrested Development Season 1 Disc 1. I have copied this before without a problem.
    Now I put the copied disc into the dvd player it says it cannot play this disc. In the DVD Shrink video preview window I can see the following message over top of the "20th Century Fox" background:
    This disk is not formatted to play in this region."
    I have checked my two dvd drives. The player drive is Region 1 (I am in Canada) and the burner drive is "No drive selected" I am unable to change that. However, in case you think that is the problem, I took the disc to my sister's computer, checked that both her drives were set to region 1, and I downloaded Anydvd and DVDShrink to her computer and had the exact same problem.
    Following the directions for posting problems, here is the results of the Status window on Anydvd:
    Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.8.4)
    HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDRH10N 0D04 0BDCA06/06/13
    Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
    Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
    Size of first Layer: 1823696 sectors (3561 MBytes)
    Total size: 3647390 sectors (7123 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: ARRESTED_D1
    Media is CSS protected!
    Video Standard: NTSC
    Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Found & removed RCE protection!
    Structural copy protection not found.
    Autorun not found on Video DVD.
    Bad sector protection not found.
    Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!
    I am using Vista (came installed on my Dell Dimension E520, unfortunately)
    My dvd drive is: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDRH1ON
    My burner is TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A

I am a real newbie at all this, so please be very explicit in your instructions. I really appreciate this,
    Thanks,

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

1. Do this for both the original disc and your backup:

a)Click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
    b) Navigate to "Program Settings".
    c) Click "enable logging".
    d) Click "ok".
    e) Put the problematic disc in your optical drive/reader.
    f) Go to your My Documents folder
    g) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip"
    h) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like [​IMG]
    i) if you don't see that icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
    j) a small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
    k) click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
    l) click "upload"

2. When you use Shrink, use Anydvd ripper first (do not do direct disc imports): right-click on the fox icon on your toolbar and select "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk" if you're using Shrink or Nero Recode. Choose your source and destination paths. Click "Copy", and wait for Anydvd ripper to finish. You can then import that rip into either Shrink or Recode (don't import the original disc. import the folder you just ripped)

3. If you get an error message in Shrink concerning RCE, do not pick a region (I think it's the second option).

4. What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, e) batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007