• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problem with my Shrink Backups

DVD shrink will burn automatically with Nero 8 but they will not play need to either burn dvd as Iso then use imgburn to burn image or there is a patch to replace the .exe so you can burn automatically with imgburn.

DVD shrink will burn automatically with Nero 8 but they will not play

I don't understand. What do you mean?

need to either burn dvd as Iso then use imgburn to burn image

You don't have to. You can compress and rip with Shrink. Then you can load Nero and burn that rip if you want.

Edit: Oh you mean, automatically burning with Nero 8 from within Shrink. Nevermind

Last edited:
Nero Recode burns by itself; you don't need to exit the program.

Nero 8 and Shrink work perfectly fine on my systems. It's possible that if you're using +R blank media that you weren't changing the booktype to "dvd-rom" before burning. Nero does that automatically for you.

I am using +R media. That must be why Shrink and Nero 8 didn't work. But anyway, I think I am all set now. Everything seems to be working great.

So now that I am completely happy with Nero Recode how do I get it? I downloaded it, but it seems to be only a one week trial version. I went onto Nero's website and I see that it is part of Nero 8. But when I went to buy that it asked what country I am in. I chose US and it said their products cannot be purchased from US.

So now that I am completely happy with Nero Recode how do I get it? I downloaded it, but it seems to be only a one week trial version. I went onto Nero's website and I see that it is part of Nero 8. But when I went to buy that it asked what country I am in. I chose US and it said their products cannot be purchased from US.

We're not allowed to link to competing products here, but you can buy Nero if you're in the U.S. Google Nero's website. You may have been visiting their European site.

With Clonedvd, by the way, you don't need to rip first using Anydvd ripper. And using Clonedvd ensures compatibility with Anydvd. You may want to give it a try (there's a free 21 day trial): click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 and follow the steps in the order they appear

Last edited:

I think Shrink and Nero 8 will work fine together so long as you tell Nero to set the book type on +r disks. Shrink and Recode are almost the same software. Recode is Shrink repackaged in Nero skin, and set up to work more seamlessly with Nero.

-W

Okay, so all has been pretty good for the last few days. I have AnyDVD running in the background when I put the original DVD in. I bought the full version of Nero 8 which includes Recode. So I run the movie through Recode which then burns a back-up copy to a blank DVD. And like I said all seems to be pretty good. But I do notice that 2 or 3 of the back-up copies that I have watched have some skips in them. Is this normal? Could it be the speed at which I am burning (I have a choice of 2.4x, 4x, and 8x and am using 4x)? For media I tend to use a lot of different discs, but right now have TDK DVD+R blank discs. Also, I quit using AnyDVD to rip the movies to my HD first and have been just using Recode and burning it. Could this be it?

Thanks Again!

One other thing...

There are a few options within the Nero program that I am not sure what to check and not check. Its the last page that comes up before you click "Burn". They are Burn-At-Once and two other choices that I can't remember (maybe Advanced analysis and slow recording?). What should be checked and not checked?

Thanks!

Okay, so all has been pretty good for the last few days. I have AnyDVD running in the background when I put the original DVD in.

Not a good idea if you use Recode

With discs containing structural protection, you need to use Anydvd ripper first--and then import that rip into Recode.

click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3992 and read fully please

Could it be the speed at which I am burning (I have a choice of 2.4x, 4x, and 8x and am using 4x)?

It may. If you want to be safe, burning at half the rated speed of the blank disc would not be a bad idea.

For media I tend to use a lot of different discs, but right now have TDK DVD+R blank discs.

TDK is mostly junk now (especially those made by Ritek). Avoid

At one time TDK was pretty good

Also, I quit using AnyDVD to rip the movies to my HD first and have been just using Recode and burning it. Could this be it?

Could be, yes.

from Frequently Asked Questions (READ BEFORE YOU POST)

9. Why are my backups freezing, skipping, or showing a blocky pixellated mess during playback?

A. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10

B. Use good quality media (Memorex, Ritek, Princo, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Maxell that are not made in Japan are not good quality media). Are you using inferior blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline), Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer is yes.
If you use poor quality blank media, then you should expect problems.

For +R DL blank media, use Verbatim made in Singapore or MAM-A 8x +R DL.

C. Try lowering your burn speed a little (if you have a 16x burner and 16x rated media try writing to it at 12x or 8x instead of 16x)

D. If you're using +R, +RW, or +R DL media, change the booktype to "dvd-rom" before burning
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (step 3)

E. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)

F. Try setting a custom size of 4300 in whatever burning program you're using (but if you're using good media, you shouldn't have to) if you're using regular single layer dvd-5 (4.7GB) discs.

G. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Insert the problematic backup disc, select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your backup is bad (which is the most likely case), your optical drive may be slowly dying, or your optical drive simply doesn't like the disc (or your choice of blank media)--even if the disc looks fine.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of discs (see step 6)
and also at layer breaks when using low quality DL media (use Verbatim +R DL media made in Singapore or MAM-A 8x +R DL, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")

Last edited:
Okay, I updated the firmware of my burner.

I will go out and get some better quality media. Now my burner is not dual-layer and I think the media you suggested was all dual layer. What media would you suggest for me then?

I downloaded this Nero CD-DVD Speed program you mentioned. This is what I use to change the booktype to dvd-rom correct? So do I do this every time I go to make a back-up copy of a movie? If I understand correctly I would open this program, change the booktype, then run Recode? Or do I just make this change once?

Now my burner is not dual-layer and I think the media you suggested was all dual layer.

No. None of it was. Dual layer is a useless format.

-R DL = dual
+R DL = double

Now you know more than most salespeople that try to sell me blank media. Most don't know know the difference.

What media would you suggest for me then?

Depends on your burner. If your burner's max burn speed is 8x, don't buy 16x rated blank media. But this is what everyone should be using:

CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro (these are Taiyo Yudens with a protective coating), Verbatim Datalife Plus, Taiyo Yuden
DVD±Rs = Maxell Broadcast Quality Series 8x (not regular junk Maxells you find everywhere), Verbatim 8x & 16x (preferably not those made in India), Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline) 8x
DVD+R DLs = Verbatim made in Singapore (preferably not India), MAM-A 8x

This is what I use to change the booktype to dvd-rom correct?

No. Nero Recode should do it automatically for you (there's a setting in Recode). I just posted generic instructions.

Last edited:
Hmmm...
I just took a look at Nero Recode and couldn't find where I would change the booktype. I will do a little more research and see if I can find it.

Hmmm...
I just took a look at Nero Recode and couldn't find where I would change the booktype. I will do a little more research and see if I can find it.

Select "Import DVD". Choose the video_ts folder that contains your Anydvd rip. Choose your audio, subtitles, compression levels, etc. Choose the size of the blank media you're using in "Fit to target". Click Next. Under destination choose your burner. If you're burning to a single layer disc, choose "advanced analysis" (if you want). Click "More". Down below on the left, set the booktype to "dvd-rom". Select an appropriate write speed. Then click "burn".

Last edited:
DVD+R DLs = Verbatim made in Singapore (not India)

I keep seeing this advice posted around the net, but how can you tell if the Verbatim discs are made in Singapore before you purchase them? Using software to identify the disc, you have to open the package, so most vendors won't accept returns once you've breached the seals.

It also doesn't help when ordering online, which is how to get the best prices for Verbatim double layer blanks (I can get them for nearly half the price that I pay locally).

I keep seeing this advice posted around the net, but how can you tell if the Verbatim discs are made in Singapore before you purchase them?

Well, in store, on the 20 spindle packaging labels, it will say "Made in Singapore" right below the UPC code (for MKM 001s). You don't need to open anything.

It also doesn't help when ordering online, which is how to get the best prices for Verbatim double layer blanks

Yeah, that's pretty hit and miss (and it's becoming more difficult to find those that aren't made in India now). The ones that are made by Moser Baer in India aren't horrible (in my opinion, despite what some say), but they are certainly not as consistently good as the ones that were made in Singapore. On the upside, Verbatim is usually pretty good about taking back bad discs and will generally give you some extras for your time.

Last edited:
Select "Import DVD". Choose the video_ts folder that contains your Anydvd rip. Choose your audio, subtitles, compression levels, etc. Choose the size of the blank media you're using in "Fit to target". Click Next. Under destination choose your burner. If you're burning to a single layer disc, choose "advanced analysis" (if you want). Click "More". Down below on the left, set the booktype to "dvd-rom". Select an appropriate write speed. Then click "burn".

When I click on "More" in the bottom left corner of Recode I get some option that come up, but booktype is not one of them. Is there possibly somewhere else I could change it?

When I click on "More" in the bottom left corner of Recode I get some option that come up, but booktype is not one of them. Is there possibly somewhere else I could change it?

No. In the "Burn Settings" screen, ensure that the "Destination:' is set to your burner. Otherwise, the DVD Booktype settings won't appear.

Back