Problem with my Shrink Backups

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by shaneyb72, Mar 28, 2008.

1. shaneyb72

shaneyb72 Member

So, I take an original DVD and use AnyDVD to rip it to a hard drive. I save the files to a folder on an external hardrive. At some later point I use DVD Shrink 3.2 to open this folder that is still on my external HD. I then use the back up feature of DVD Shrink 3.2 to make a back-up DVD. Everything seems to work now.

But when I went to play the movie I get an error or nothing at all happens. But there definitely doesn't seem to be an actual movie there.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong here? I never used to have any problems at all. And now I have nothing but problems.

What files should be present in the movie's folder on my external HD after I have ripped the DVD using AnyDVD? I have run about 10 movies and every folder seems different.

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Where? On your hard drive or on a disc that you burned?

Which is?

Are you playing the movie on your computer or on a standalone dvd player?

If you're playing the movie on your computer what program are you using to watch the film?

Beneath each one should be a video_ts folder.

3. shaneyb72

shaneyb72 Member

I was attmepting to play the back-up copy on a stand-alone DVD player. The error simply said "Disc Error".
    I looked at some of the folders I have for movies and what is in each of them. Like I said they are all different. But it seems as though all of the ones I have done using the method described above (AnyDVD and Shrink 3.2) have one folder in them. And then in that folder is one more folder called Video_TS. So when I was opening the movie in DVD Shrink 3.2 I was just selecting the top folder, maybe that is the problem?

4. shaneyb72

shaneyb72 Member

So I just tried doing another back-up copy and made sure to choose the Video_TS folder, but it still didn't work. I'm not sure what to do. It is very frustrating.

5. shaneyb72

shaneyb72 Member

I have Clone DVD Mobile. Will that work for this? If so, what format do I use to make a back-up copy of a DVD?

6. Webslinger

1) If you run dvd playback software on your computer and select the video_ts folder as the source, will the movie play?

2) Have you tried playing your backup in your computer? If not, please try.

3) What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, e) batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

4) At what speed are you burning your blank media?

5) Update your burner's firmware (if available)
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10

If you import the video_ts folder, that should be sufficient.

7. Webslinger

No. It won't.

You're not using Clonedvd mobile at any point, right? If so, that may explain why you're having problems.

8. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

What media brand are you using too?

9. Webslinger

I did ask for that information.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  10. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

You make the back up to your HDD using Shrink but what are you using to copy the data to DVD?
    To repeat Webslinger's question..what Error are you receiving and from what software?

11. Webslinger

I don't think shaneyb72's referring to a software error message.

12. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct.

13. shaneyb72

shaneyb72 Member

I am only using Clone DVD Mobile to put these movies on my ipod or PSP.

14. shaneyb72

shaneyb72 Member

Wow-I haven't checked back in the last 12 hours or so and look at all of these replies! You guys are great!
    So someone else told me that he thinks its the combination of using DVD Shrink with Nero 8 that is causing the problem. He said that for some reason Nero 8 seems to "mess up" the file structure that a stand-alone DVD player won't recognize. He suggested I try using Nero Recode along with Nero 8 and just leave DVD Shrink 3.2 out of the equation for now.
    Does this seem reasonable? I think I may go try this now.

15. Charlie

On most DVD's that'll work just fine. There are a few that may need to be ripped by anydvd first if there is structural copy protection.

16. shaneyb72

shaneyb72 Member

Oh, I was planning on running all movies through AnyDVD, then through Nero Recode, and finally burn with Nero 8. But you think I may be able to skip AnyDVD and just use the 2 Nero products?

17. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Nero and all of it's bloat but Recode is a "good" tool ..... Shrink and Nero should have no issues with each other.

You need AnyDVD to do the decrypting.

18. Charlie

Just always look at the AnyDVD info window after you put in a disc. If there is no structural copy protection you can use Nero Recode to rip the DVD. If there is structural copy protection then you can rip using anydvd then process through Recode. AnyDVD ripper is kinda slow you might want to look into CloneDVD2 as it'll rip everything even structural copy protection discs and is way faster.

19. shaneyb72

shaneyb72 Member

Again, thank you all for your help. I am now using AnyDVD, then Nero Recode, and finally Nero 8 to burn. And everything seems to be successful again!
    For some reason Dvd Shrink 3.2 and Nero 8 did not work together at all if I was going to play the movie in a stand alone DVD player.
    Thanks Again!

20. Webslinger

Nero Recode burns by itself (well, it uses the Nero burning engine); you don't need to exit the program.

Nero 8 and Shrink work perfectly fine on my systems. It's possible that if you're using +R blank media that you weren't changing the booktype to "dvd-rom" before burning. Nero does that automatically for you.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008