• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problem with AnyDVD and SATA drive

Yes, I've tried with Sonic Showtime. AnyDVD is gone, since it locks up.

I see the video_ts folder. I got a CSS error when trying to view the DVD with Showtime.

Yes, I've tried with Sonic Showtime. AnyDVD is gone, since it locks up.

I see the video_ts folder. I got a CSS error when trying to view the DVD with Showtime.

Sounds like a fairly useless program if it refuses to play movies containing CSS. Try Windvd or Powerdvd.

But regardless, that doesn't really explain why Anydvd is locking up your system.

Hi :)
Never heard of this card...................... PNY model P-DSA150-PCI-RF!!!
So have no idea of chipset used.
The RF @ the end could refer to Raid Feature.
Basically, any PCI card (regardless of IDE/SATA) that has Raid feature needs to have a non-raid option.
Ideally a flashable BIOS.
Plus a DRIVER dedicated for ODD use.
The process when both options are available.
1st Flash BIOS to Non-Raid (often referred to as BASE BIOS).
2nd Install DRIVER'S for use with CDRW/DVDRW etc.
Using cards that don't have both options, will give a mixed respsonse.
Chipset to go for SiliconImage.
Personally have yet to be unable to a Sil card work.
For the record I have several 203's.
Some supporting LS, others that don't. :p

It does have RAID capability - didn't even think about that being a problem. I don't see an option in the BIOS for a non-RAID option. However, the drivers on PNY's website do have a BASE driver, though the .inf file is named 3112, and the controller in Device Manager shows 3512 (Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATARaid Controller). I will contact PNY to see what they say.

It does have RAID capability - didn't even think about that being a problem. I don't see an option in the BIOS for a non-RAID option. However, the drivers on PNY's website do have a BASE driver, though the .inf file is named 3112, and the controller in Device Manager shows 3512 (Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATARaid Controller). I will contact PNY to see what they say.

The good news is that this card will work for you.
The 3112 often gets incorrectly seen as 3512 by windows.
This probably means the drivers are for the 3512 & not 3112.
Go to this site :
Download the corrrect BIOS pack, this should include 3 bioses.
One for Raid, one for non-raid & one for built-in cards.
As already said the non-raid is referred to as BASE BIOS.
Flash the bios.
While on that site, it clearly lists DRIVERS for CDRW/DVDRW's.
Having flashed the bios install these DRIVERS.
If using MS updates, you may need to uncheck updates for this card.

I've been able to successfully burn CDs with the drive (with iTunes, haven't tried with anything else). Would this still indicate a problem with the card BIOS? Sorry I didn't mention that before, I think I did in one of the emails to Slysoft (starting to get confusing who I told what).

PNY didn't think it's a problem with the card, even when I pushed the fact that it was a optical drive, and brought up the BIOS issue. I was thrilled he spoke english, but he didn't seem too confident in his replies. He said the card is fairly new and hasn't been out that long, so hasn't seen many issues with it.

One other quick note:
I have two of these cards installed in my system. One card is connected to an internal hard drive and external hard drive, the other card is solely driving the Samsung drive.

The 3112 (as is my 3114), is relatively old. In as much as it was one of the 1st SATA PCI Controller cards available.
Bioses/Drivers.
SiliconImage have more (+ later) updates.
When PNY say they haven't had problems.
It depends how they test.
All I can say is that some combinations of H/W + S/W can relay inconsistancies.
Which the majority of the time can be fixed with a combination of BASE BIOS & DRIVES specifically for ODD's.
Take a good look at the SiliconImage site.
They wouldn't bother with BASE bios & ODD's pepped drivers. If there wasn't something in it.

The good news is that this card will work for you.
The 3112 often gets incorrectly seen as 3512 by windows.
This probably means the drivers are for the 3512 & not 3112.

Thanks a ton for the support folks. So, just to confirm, my Device Manager is reporting the controller as the 3512 - that's the BIOS/drivers that I should be downloading for, right?

Attachments

• dev.JPG
    dev.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
update

Okay, so here's what's happened:

I was unable to flash the BIOS on the PNY card. I followed the directions from SiI over and over - no errors, it just didn't do it, but with no explanation why. SiI offers no further support, as their chip is being used by a different manufacturer (PNY). It could be that the flash memory that PNY uses isn't supported by SiI's BIOS flash program, but I haven't confirmed that.

PNY currently does not provide a BIOS flashing utility, though in their driver download, there are BASE drivers. I will contact them again and ask them to provide a means to flash the BIOS. Not sure what the success rate of that will be, as it is advertised as a RAID card. SiI says mixing BIOS and drivers will not work (RAID BIOS with BASE driver) - makes sense.

So, as Zebadee suggests, the problem must lie with the PNY card driving the Samsung ODD with a RAID BIOS. Since I can't remedy the current problem, I re-installed my old PATA Lite-On dvd burner and disabled the Samsung drive in Device Manager. Voila - movies can be played with both Showtime and Media Player, and both DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD sailed through a commerical DVD.

Thanks to all for the support.

Check your PM's.
Basically to be sure of the cards ID.
Have a look at the actual chipset (on the card) itself.
My 3114 was being incorectly identified by Windows till the correct/latest bios flashed.
Download the referred files in PM.
Follow their instructions.
Hopefully it will work.
If BIOS flash successful, then install the BASE driver for ODD's.

Last edited:
update

I meant to update this with what eventually happened, but my motherboard died in the middle of it, so I'm just now getting back to this.

Anyway, even after following Zebadee's tips, I was never able to successfully flash the BIOS in the SATA card. Like I stated before, I ended up re-installing my old PATA drive, in addition to the new SATA drive. When I need to copy a DVD, I disable the SATA drive in the Device Manager, and AnyDVD fires up with no problem (using the PATA drive). When I'm done, I re-enable the SATA drive and life is good.

Even though I could have used the old version of DVD Decrypter (free), I ended up buying AnyDVD in the process, because of the support I recieved on this rather convoluted issue. Thanks for the help!

-Scott

Back