• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problem ripping Downton Abbey

foobaz

I have ripped Downton Abbey Season 1, disc 1 and 2, to my HD with AnyDVD HD 6.9.1.0. They ripped just fine but will not play in any of my software players and DVD Shrink gives the error

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.

Failed to read file "..\Downton Abbey D1\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO"

The parameter is incorrect.

The discs play fine in my set-top player and the DVDR drive, and open in DVD Shrink. I could not find anything about this online including this forum. I was wondering if anyone else had the same or a similar problem or has any insight as to the probable cause of this problem and its possible solution.

not an AnyDVD issue

Since the rip works it's hardly an AnyDVD issue.
The message is a common file system error in Windows and may have nothing at all to do with software. If that is an external or network drive then you may not have proper access.

In any event, moving to 3rd party.

Since the rip works it's hardly an AnyDVD issue.
The message is a common file system error in Windows and may have nothing at all to do with software. If that is an external or network drive then you may not have proper access.

In any event, moving to 3rd party.

For the record, I have never had this error for hundreds of rips. I always verify if a rip opens in DVD Shrink whether I compress it or not. It is a good indicator of a successful non-problematic rip. I also always attempt to play it with a software player. Since it fails both tests, it is apparently a problem with AnyDVD. What else could it be? Is this yet another form of copy protection that hasn't been encountered before? BTW the disc itself opens in DVD Shrink and plays on any software player. While the drive is external, I have never had this problem, so it is definitely not an access problem. And the fact that both discs give the same identical problem implies that there is something going on with the ripping process itself.

The log does show some peculiarities:

Code:
  1.13s: File /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.IFO at 3017 length 49 wrongCRC 0

1.17s: Warning: .bup file location is wrong, .bup processing disabled!

BTW the 2 BUP files are in the VIDEO_TS directory and they have identical MD5s to the IFOs.

I don't understand:
In any event, moving to 3rd party

Did you rip to FOLDER with AnyDVD as opposed to Image - using the new 6.9.1.6 beta??

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupAnyDVD6916.exe

If you ripped to FOLDER and the rip completed normally in AnyDVD, and then Shrink can't open the rip - you might be on to something. Also try playing the original disk in the software player with AnyDVD running - if the rip fails, that outta fail too.

Also..... read the stickies to learn how to attach an AnyDVD logfile to a post here - it's required for good help.

-W

Last edited:
I always verify if a rip opens in DVD Shrink whether I compress it or not. It is a good indicator of a successful non-problematic rip. I also always attempt to play it with a software player. Since it fails both tests, it is apparently a problem with AnyDVD.

You are 100% correct here.
Unfortunately, the mere mention of DVDShrink makes many people appear to stop reading a post and just shuffle it to the "3rd party disposal unit". :)

The fact that the AnyDVD rip won't play properly in software players is a good indication of a problem with the rip.
Try again with the latest beta of AnyDVD and if your rip still won't play in a software player or open with Shrink - post a logfile to get better help. The latest beta addresses a lot of issues.

- New (DVD): Support for new copy protections
- New (DVD): Workaround for incorrectly recorded AVCREC DVD discs
- New (DVD): Improved cutting of ending cells for movie only copies of some discs
- Fix (DVD): Possible crash in RCE removal
- Fix (DVD): Bug introduced in 6.9.0.0, corrupted file system with some discs
- Fix (DVD): "repair defective disc structure" stage in AnyDVD ripper could cause
PS10 errors with some discs

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupAnyDVD6916.exe

(It might be an improperly mastered disk too - causing AnyDVD to "do things" to it.)

-W

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've at least isolated the problem and it is none of the reasons that I thought. Much to my horror it is my brand new Seagate GoFlex Desk 3TB hard drive. GRRRR!!!! This is the first time I tried to rip a DVD to it so I have not encountered this problem before now. I ripped it to a nearly full other USB drive and it opens perfectly in Shrink and software player. I am furious about this. I have had nothing but problems with this drive since I hooked it up. First write errors, then extreme overheating--I'm talking about 65C!, and now this. This piece of crap is going back as soon as I can find a replacement for it. I have another Seagate USB drive that is showing 40% health after only a year. I will never buy Seagate again. Meanwhile is there anything I might try to make the drive less prone to write errors?

Exchange it for a Western Digital and be done with it. :D
But next time please make sure to update to the latest beta, and attach the AnyDVD logfile with your opening trouble post. Saves time.

-W

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've at least isolated the problem and it is none of the reasons that I thought. Much to my horror it is my brand new Seagate GoFlex Desk 3TB hard drive. GRRRR!!!! This is the first time I tried to rip a DVD to it so I have not encountered this problem before now. I ripped it to a nearly full other USB drive and it opens perfectly in Shrink and software player. I am furious about this. I have had nothing but problems with this drive since I hooked it up. First write errors, then extreme overheating--I'm talking about 65C!, and now this. This piece of crap is going back as soon as I can find a replacement for it. I have another Seagate USB drive that is showing 40% health after only a year. I will never buy Seagate again. Meanwhile is there anything I might try to make the drive less prone to write errors?

I agree with you I have 3 drive made by Seagate and there health with two years has reached at alarming rate of 45% tear level.

I am also thinking to drive into band wagon of western digital.

Exchange it for a Western Digital and be done with it. :D
But next time please make sure to update to the latest beta, and attach the AnyDVD logfile with your opening trouble post. Saves time. -W

Absolutely. I just bought it on impulse at Costco when my other drives were nearing full. :) When I was having problems with the write errors that 1000's of others were having, I installed this awesome drive health monitoring software, Hard Disk Sentinel. It shows me a capsule summary of my various HDs:

Maxtor Drive

-- Physical Disk Information - Disk: #0: Maxtor 7L250S0 --
Hard Disk Model ID . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Maxtor 7L250S0
Maximum Temperature (Ever Measured) . . . . . . : 31 �C, 1/17/2012 9:56:30 PM
Minimum Temperature (Ever Measured) . . . . . . : 20 �C, 1/22/2012 7:53:38 AM
Power On Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 1003 days, 18 hours, 59 minutes
Estimated Remaining Lifetime . . . . . . . . . . : more than 788 days
Estimated Total Lifetime . . . . . . . . . . : more than 1791 days
Health . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ###################- 98 % (Excellent)
Performance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ###################- 97 % (Excellent)

WD Drives

-- Physical Disk Information - Disk: #2: WDC WD7500AACS-00ZJB0 --
Hard Disk Model ID . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : WDC WD7500AACS-00ZJB0
Maximum Temperature (Ever Measured) . . . . . . : 51 �C, 1/21/2012 10:42:53 AM
Minimum Temperature (Ever Measured) . . . . . . : 20 �C, 1/22/2012 7:53:41 AM
Maximum Temperature (During Entire Lifespan) . . : 55 �C
Power On Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 952 days, 8 hours
Estimated Remaining Lifetime . . . . . . . . . . : more than 872 days
Estimated Total Lifetime . . . . . . . . . . : more than 1824 days
Health . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : #################### 100 % (Excellent)
Performance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : #################### 100 % (Excellent)

-- Physical Disk Information - Disk: #3: WDC WD20EARS-00S8B1 --
Hard Disk Model ID . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : WDC WD20EARS-00S8B1
Maximum Temperature (Ever Measured) . . . . . . : 31 �C, 1/25/2012 6:13:21 AM
Minimum Temperature (Ever Measured) . . . . . . : 23 �C, 1/22/2012 7:53:41 AM
Maximum Temperature (During Entire Lifespan) . . : 57 �C
Power On Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 514 days, 0 hours
Estimated Remaining Lifetime . . . . . . . . . . : more than 1000 days
Estimated Total Lifetime . . . . . . . . . . : more than 1514 days
Health . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : #################### 100 % (Excellent)
Performance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : #################### 100 % (Excellent)

Seagate Drives

-- Physical Disk Information - Disk: #6: ST31500341AS [Offline] --
Hard Disk Model ID . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ST31500341AS
Maximum Temperature (Ever Measured) . . . . . . : 40 �C, 1/17/2012 9:50:21 PM
Minimum Temperature (Ever Measured) . . . . . . : 23 �C, 1/23/2012 11:54:28 AM
Maximum Temperature (During Entire Lifespan) . . : 58 �C
Power On Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 917 days, 8 hours
Estimated Remaining Lifetime . . . . . . . . . . : 145 days
Estimated Total Lifetime . . . . . . . . . . : more than 1062 days
Health . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ########------------ 40 % (Acceptable)

-- Physical Disk Information - Disk: #1: ST33000651AS --
Hard Disk Model ID . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ST33000651AS
Logical Drive(s) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : I: [FreeAgent GoFlex Drive]
Maximum Temperature (Ever Measured) . . . . . . : 59 �C, 1/28/2012 2:09:55 PM
Minimum Temperature (Ever Measured) . . . . . . : 23 �C, 1/22/2012 7:53:40 AM
Maximum Temperature (During Entire Lifespan) . . : 60 �C
Power On Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 13 days, 18 hours
Estimated Remaining Lifetime . . . . . . . . . . : more than 1000 days
Estimated Total Lifetime . . . . . . . . . . : more than 1013 days

The Maxtor and WD drives have an estimated lifetime of 50-100% longer than the Seagates. Bye bye Seagate. You were once a great company but the competition is fierce . . .

I think I have the latest beta of a few days ago. OK for the log file. Meanwhile, any ideas on eliminating the HD write errors?

The latest beta came out today... time to re-up.

All I can say is to write to a good drive is all.... errors happen.

-W

Thanks! I had this problem, too

I was having the same problem -- and, I, too, have a GoFlex 3TB external USB drive. So, when I saw your post, I gave it a try. Sure enough, using a WD instead of the Seagate solved my problem, too. Thanks very much for sharing!!! (It's too late for me to return the Seagate (which has exhibited other erratic behaviors), but I WILL replace it with another drive as soon as my budget allows!)

Back