• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Printing dvd case covers

mimaro46

woke up this morning and my brother mfcj825 dw printer decided to not feed paper any longer, so i can't pring my dvd case covers. any recommendations as to the best dvd disc/cover printer out there?

woke up this morning and my brother mfcj825 dw printer decided to not feed paper any longer, so i can't pring my dvd case covers. any recommendations as to the best dvd disc/cover printer out there?

There are several printers that can handle CD/DVD/BD direct to disk printing (using disk blanks made
for the purpose), but any good color printer (preferably a photo printer) should be suitable for case covers. The best direct disk
printers are Canon Pixma printers (be sure to select a model that has this feature).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AGV7TQ6/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002SQ2IY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MKHGN6DB0YJNXE4BE8S

Also, you might find this article useful relative to Canon printers:

http://www.cameratown.com/articles/canon_cd_printing.cfm

Epson also makes one, and I believe HP has a couple of models. The real trick is to use a suitable program along
with the printer, and a template for what you're going to print.

I personally use Photoshop and have constructed templates for each job. The artwork can just be
dropped in and resized if needed, and it's ready to print. That approach also allows me to save
the artwork in case it's needed again (it just drops into the template the next time). I use an Epson Photo
printer, but don't have direct to disk ability so I use peelable labels from Neato which work
pretty well (using a template I built for them).

http://www.neato.com/photomatte-cd-dvd-labels-100-pack.html

The lowest cost Canon printer that can directly print on disks comes in a bit under $100US and I
might invest in that someday, but for now, peelable labels work for me.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Been using Epson direct to disc printers for years. My current one is an all-in-one printer scanner and gives great prints. I wouldn't say the Canon ones are the best as they all give pretty much the same print quality these days.What I find more important is how long the printer lasts and i found the one Canon one we got in broke a lot quicker than the Epson ones.

I wasn't aware that anyone still printed to labels these days

Been using Epson direct to disc printers for years. My current one is an all-in-one printer scanner and gives great prints. I wouldn't say the Canon ones are the best as they all give pretty much the same print quality these days.What I find more important is how long the printer lasts and i found the one Canon one we got in broke a lot quicker than the Epson ones.

I wasn't aware that anyone still printed to labels these days

You're probably right about Epson besting Canon. Canon has been watering down the quality of their printers for several years now and most Epsons are still very good products.

You know some people still use land-lines too. Now you know some people still print to labels!!!:aiee:

Last edited:
You're probably right about Epson besting Canon. Canon has been watering down the quality of their printers for several years now and most Epsons are still very good products.

You know some people still use land-lines too. Now you know some people still print to labels!!!:aiee:

Very subjective. I've had my Canon MP560 for 6-7 years and is still going strong. Has Wifi and automatic double sided printing which is why I got it. Was purchased for $49. Still have another brand new in the box if this one ever dies.

To me, the best is the one that has the features you want. In my case, auto double sided printing, Wifi, individual ink tanks, scanner, etc.

Last edited:
I personally use Photoshop and have constructed templates for each job. The artwork can just be
dropped in and resized if needed, and it's ready to print. That approach also allows me to save
the artwork in case it's needed again (it just drops into the template the next time). I use an Epson Photo
printer, but don't have direct to disk ability so I use peelable labels from Neato which work
pretty well (using a template I built for them).

I agree with the Photoshop templates for anything DVD/CD related for any of those covers as I have used this and is very easy and works very well.
I would suggest to get a Epson printer for this only that has the direct to DVD/CD printable disks function if printing disk labels. The Epson's are the only inkjet printers that have a water resistant ink and they dry pretty fast. Also the newer Epson's have new precise print heads to get even better looking photo prints.

The disk labels, I would not do the printable disk peel able sticker label route. I tried this and I actually ran into all kinds of problems with the disks not reading in a lot players. Also taking a chance the adhesive label possibly getting disk stuck in feeder players. I ended up either pealing the label off or having to redo the disk entirely. What actually happens even when you use the applicator for the disk labels is they do not apply the disk label evenly and aliened to the disk. It actually makes the disk unbalanced that causes the disk to not be read in the players. Even if the player does read the disk it doesn't read it properly and it tends to skip and so forth, which makes the DVD not watchable.

I now just do the DVD case covers and just write on my DVD with a DVD/CD Sharpie marker.

I have a older Epson that I have had since like 2002 and is still working great. With Epson do not invest in 3rd party ink as the Epson's do not do well with cheap 3rd party ink. It is like the Epson printers know it isn't Epson ink. My Epson is a 6 ink photosmart printer, but it does not print on the printable disks. It does print outstanding pictures even if I do not print on photo paper.

I sell printers at Office Max where I live and the Epson is going to be the best choice for printing anything photo related plus you can get them anywhere from $50 to $200 that would have the DVD/CD printing with or without fax. Epson is one of the only brands that still makes printers with the DVD/CD printing.

This depends alot on where your located at in the world will depend on what printers you have available to buy there. The printer only prints as good as the case cover is made. If this is like a dvd cover you see at the store then any good photo printer should do the job. Unless your doing Professional then you need to get something upwards of 2,000US or more then your everyday printer is not up to the job. This request is very subjective to what kinda dvd cover your printing if this is like a store DVD cover then a higher quality Photo printer will do but if your just making your own use dvd cover then a good inexpensive photo printer will do. So unless people can see what kinda DVD cover your asking about this question is vague on details for anyone to know what your really asking about. Maybe if you go to a printer forum site they could do more to address your question here.

Any printer will print DVD covers, having the correct software and template is the key.

I personally use Avery's DesignPro 5.5 software, using template Avery 8891.

The DesignPro 5.5 is an older version than what is available on the Avery-Dennison website, both versions are free. I use both, the new version for labels and the older version for covers.

Back