• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Preventing a flame war??

Clams

For Chrissakes Drinky..... The "Another reason to stick with AnyDVD" thread didn't even get a chance. This is the "general chat" board, where hopefully the community here can opine, vent, etc etc. The topic was a good one, and could have only served to paint AnyDVD in a better light than the competitors. Pre-emptive reprisals are a dangerous and slippery slope to start down. This "General Chat" board has been hard enough to get real community traction without cutting threads off at the knees.

You further compounded this by managing to sneak your OWN opinion in under the wire in your last sentence. And then Mr. Slinger comes along and adds HIS opinion to the closed thread.

Were you afraid you two would be starting your own flame war?? :D

-W

For Chrissakes Drinky..... The "Another reason to stick with AnyDVD" thread didn't even get a chance. This is the "general chat" board, where hopefully the community here can opine, vent, etc etc. The topic was a good one, and could have only served to paint AnyDVD in a better light than the competitors. Pre-emptive reprisals are a dangerous and slippery slope to start down. This "General Chat" board has been hard enough to get real community traction without cutting threads off at the knees.

The post said it all. There has been a policy change.

You further compounded this by managing to sneak your OWN opinion in under the wire in your last sentence.

I didn't sneak my opinion in. It's pretty clear what I'm saying. No sneaking takes place. No slipping takes place.

Were you afraid you two would be starting your own flame war?? :D

No.

Last edited:
The topic was a good one, and could have only served to paint AnyDVD in a better light than the competitors.

I agree with Drinklyeanddie's decision. I don't feel there's much to be gained by keeping that thread open. What am I going to learn? What are you going to learn?

I don't believe Drinklyeanddie was trying to hide anything. There are a lot of people that use both Anydvd and dvdfab, and I do believe keeping that thread open will just create a lot of animosity.

Anyway, I'm not going to undermine Drinklyeanddie's decision. He closed it. If he wants to, he can open it.

Last edited:
The post said it all. There has been a policy change. I didn't sneak my opinion in. It's pretty clear what I'm saying. No sneaking takes place.

OK - "squeak" would have been a better choice than "sneak". Sorry.

As for the "policy change"; has there ever been a real "policy" to begin with?
Do you guys even have a comprehensive written set of SOP's to go by?
The reason I ask is that I see a wide latitude of "decisions" based on the personality (or whim, or mood) of the individual moderator taking the action as opposed to behavior that's guided by an "all powerfull" set of rules (SOP's).
Under a tight set of SOPS, it's hard to discern the personality of one Mod vs another Mod because thay are all singing from the same sheet-music.

All I was trying to say, is that closing brand new threads pre-emptively is a dangerous road to tread on. In some eyes, it makes a moderator look iether power drunk, or just plain too lazy to moderate on a situational basis.
I'm NOT saying that's the case with the thread in question - but the risk exists - thus the slippery slope I referenced.

All that said... Mods have a sucky job to do... I know that.

-W

or just plain too lazy to moderate on a situational basis.

Guilty as charged! :agree: (I'm talking about myself only) :D

There are just some headaches I would like to avoid. I mean, in all honesty, I agree with the spirit of what Hawk wrote.
But keeping that thread open looks like a moderator headache waiting to happen to me.

Last edited:
DVDFab sucks, AnyDVD is great!
AnyDVD sucks, DVDFab is great!
Both programs are great!
Both programs suck!

Cue several pages of the above people flaming each other.

I think that's why the thread was closed.

Back