• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD8 8.0.2217a idiocy

DrinkLyeAndDie

Retired Moderator
I started this thread because I wasn't sure what other thread to put it in. I noticed something seriously annoying with the new update that never happened in the past.

I still have IFOs associated with PowerDVD8. If I double-click on VIDEO_TS.IFO on my HDD it opens the movie and plays, right? I mean you can set it to do that in the PowerDVD8 settings. Well, not anymore. Sure you can set it in the settings but it doesn't work right. It opens PowerDVD8 and then tells me there is no disc in my drive that I have set as the default drive. Obviously, Open With... does the same thing. I can open PowerDVD8 and then manually go to the folder and play, however. :rolleyes:

Intentional? Or just stupid mistake they made?

Last edited:
Based on previous stupid mistakes I vote stupid mistake. It would not surprise me if they quit letting us watch SD DVD from the HD though.

What a Circle

I downloaded the newest PowerDVD Ultra upgrade. At the end it says Set up could not find a file on the specified path or disk. Please check that the proper disk is inserted or specify a new path
Unable to locate file C:\Users\BARRYB~1.000\AppData\local\Temp\pftDF2A.t mp\PowerDVD.msi
When I hit the retry Feature transfer error coms up. Error-1606 Fatal error during installation. I tried putting a old upgrade and that does the same thing. I can still use ulta with no problems. I can not put the newest patch on though. Also I am havings the problems like in the previous post. I Removed powerDVD8 ultra, restarted pc, reinstalled it, Put my code in. It let me in, put the patch in and back to square one.

bad patch

Is it just a bad patch? Any help would be great

Is it just a bad patch? Any help would be great

I didn't encounter that at all. My update went smoothly. I just am finding oddities and annoyances.

You might want to redownload the entire update and try again from scratch.

I started this thread because I wasn't sure what other thread to put it in. I noticed something seriously annoying with the new update that never happened in the past.

I still have IFOs associated with PowerDVD8. If I double-click on VIDEO_TS.IFO on my HDD it opens the movie and plays, right? I mean you can set it to do that in the PowerDVD8 settings.
Huh? Where?

Well, not anymore. Sure you can set it in the settings but it doesn't work right. It opens PowerDVD8 and then tells me there is no disc in my drive that I have set as the default drive. Obviously, Open With... does the same thing. I can open PowerDVD8 and then manually go to the folder and play, however. :rolleyes:
PowerDVD (regardless which version) *never* player .ifo files for me. I always had to do "open/ play from folder".

Huh? Where?

The setting? Configuration -> Player tab -> Click Advanced... button -> File Association -> Check Launch CyberLink PowerDVD and play when double clicking IFO File.

PowerDVD (regardless which version) *never* player .ifo files for me. I always had to do "open/ play from folder".

I always associated it and also set up an Open With.... It's always worked for me until now.

Funny. I just tested and I had the settings window open and did an Open With... and it worked. I closed the settings window and it won't work again and says "No disc in drive T:". T is my default DVD drive.

Last edited:
The setting? Configuration -> Player tab -> Click Advanced... button -> File Association -> Check Launch CyberLink PowerDVD and play when double clicking IFO File.
Wow, I never realized that this option is there! :eek:
Thanks a lot!

what I meant

What I meant was that I downloaded the newest PowerDVD Ultra upgrade. I see this after I open and run. Please check that the proper disk is inserted or specify a new path
Unable to locate file C:\Users\BARRYB~1.000\AppData\local\Temp\pftDF2A.t mp\PowerDVD.msi
When I hit the retry Feature transfer error coms up. Error-1606 Fatal error during installation. I have no problem with playing my file with powerdvdultra 8And anydvdhd other than no disk in drive It just will not let the patch finish. I Removed powerDVD8 ultra, restarted pc, reinstalled it, Put my code in. It let me in, put the patch in and it says the same thing. I can open any files by using open movie on hard disk or open media file on the pvd options. It is just that I can not use that patch.

I always associated it and also set up an Open With.... It's always worked for me until now.

Funny. I just tested and I had the settings window open and did an Open With... and it worked. I closed the settings window and it won't work again and says "No disc in drive T:". T is my default DVD drive.

Last edited:
What I meant was that I downloaded the newest PowerDVD Ultra upgrade. I see this after I open and run. Please check that the proper disk is inserted or specify a new path
When I hit the retry Feature transfer error coms up. Error-1606 Fatal error during installation. I have no problem with playing my file with powerdvdultra 8And anydvdhd other than no disk in drive It just will not let the patch finish. I Removed powerDVD8 ultra, restarted pc, reinstalled it, Put my code in. It let me in, put the patch in and it says the same thing. I can open any files by using open movie on hard disk or open media file on the pvd options. It is just that I can not use that patch.

Other than downloading and trying again I have no suggestions. I've pretty much give up on CyberLink. They're crooks who rob people of their money and release updates that break more features and cause more problems than fix bugs.

The text you quoted was in reference to James' confusion about what I was referring to with my issue.

Thanks

Thanks so much.After spending that kind of money, you expect some kind of quality. I did with AnydvdHD and clonedvd. As for cyberlink, I am not a big fan of theirs. I hope they get better. but I am not counting on it. Thanks again. fortebab1
Other than downloading and trying again I have no suggestions. I've pretty much give up on CyberLink. They're crooks who rob people of their money and release updates that break more features and cause more problems than fix bugs.

The text you quoted was in reference to James' confusion about what I was referring to with my issue.

That means after you started to install it the file extracts data to the location listed in the error and then it says it can not find it. Before closing the error see if the data is there. Though the first thing to do is download it again and clean out your temp files before installing again. I would use CCleaner myself to clean out the system of junk.

Btw, simply reinstalling the previous 8.0.2217 update overtop of the 8.0.2217a update fixes the problem. You have to downgrade.

So, so far, both the v7 and v8 updates are flawed. I can't believe CyberLink even has any QC anymore. Every since release slips through with a blatantly stupid problem.

Since I don't use PowerDVD as my main player anymore I don't need the latest and greatest most of the time.

Thanks anyway

I did every thing I was told to try. It did get me back to the original version of powerdvd8 ultra. I put in my code and it took it. I am afraid to try that patch again.You said you do not use powerdvd anymore. Is there something better I can buy? I am not completly broke right now. But I dont have a lot extra either,
Btw, simply reinstalling the previous 8.0.2217 update overtop of the 8.0.2217a update fixes the problem. You have to downgrade.

So, so far, both the v7 and v8 updates are flawed. I can't believe CyberLink even has any QC anymore. Every since release slips through with a blatantly stupid problem.

Since I don't use PowerDVD as my main player anymore I don't need the latest and greatest most of the time.

Help again

The link for total theater was good but christmas08 is that the code for discount. It will not take it.

The link for total theater was good but christmas08 is that the code for discount. It will not take it.

Registration08 is the coupon code that will give you 20% off

I can't vouch for whether the program will work properly for you. It seems to crash on Adbear's computers, for example.

Last edited:
Back