• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD not playing?

Wydo

Hello,
I have Powerdvd 7.3.3319. I am having some problems playing back BDs and BD ripped files. Every few minutes a little bit of sound is left out. Just a fraction of a second. I don't have this problem with DVDs just BluRay discs. I wanted to see if it would do this with HD-DVDs so I put ripped HD-DVD files on my computer only to find out I can't play it. I guess because I have a version of PDVD that came with my Sony BD drive it does not have this function that is it only plays BDs and ripped file of a BD.

Does anyone have any ideas on any steps to figure out this problem? Is there anyother way to play these files besides PDVD? Is there any way to get PDVD to play HD-DVD files?

Wydo,
Both versions of HD DVD take alot more power to play than SD DVD.Are you sure your CPU and Graphics card are powerful enough?

Hi Bill101,
I have the Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD motherboard with HDMI out, the Intel E6600 processor and 2 mg memory. I would think this should do it. It is running Vista Ult. There are faster processors and graphics cards but what I have should be more than enough. This is in a media pc that has only the bare minmum of software running to make it all work. It does have Norton but that can't be helped. Maybe I could unplug the cat5 cable and shut down Norton to see what it does.

How should I set up sound in PDVD?

I1m not familiar with that MB.Does it have on board video?If so,there may not be enough graphics power.Maybe someone else can correct me if I`m wrong but,I think you need a video card.The E6600 should be good enough to run it though.As far as the sound for PDVD,go to the configuration and click on audio,then select for how ever many speakers you have.If you have a sound card,you`ll need to set that for the same number of speakers and then in the control panel you`ll need to set that also.

The Abit website has this for my motherboard:

LGA 775
ATI® RX1250
ATI® RX700
FSB1066
HDMI™ 1080i
PCI-E X16
Dual DDR2-800
Gigabit Ethernet
7.1 CH HD Audio
SATA 3G RAID
RoHS Compliancy

I did read somewhere that this video card did not have hardware acceleration for BluRay but I don't know if this is true or not.

I have Realtech audio setup for 5.1 speakers and PDVD set to "use SPDIF." Should I change this?

I`ve never used SPDIF.I just use 5.1 channel and have Logitech 5500 speakers that are set for 6 channel direct.Does your audio sound good?On the graphics card issue,I haven`t looked at their site for your specs but,I`ve got an e6600 running at 3.11GHZ with an Nvidia Quadro 560 with only 128mb of ram,system ram of 4gb and playback is fairly good,at least as good as it gets with PDVD:)Someone on these forums said if you have a strong enough CPU,most modern cards will play HD/bluray.

Hi Bill101,
I decided to go ahead and try setting PDVD to 5.1 and it went just fine with one BD movie I have. I think that solved it but I will try some other BDs.

It seemed to me if I didn't have a system up to snuff that what would suffer would be video not sound or maybe both sound and video. Now I know.

Is there anything I can do about getting PDVD to play HD-DVDs or is that a lost cause?

PDVD plays HD DVD fine.In fact,that`s all I have.I have played 10 HD DVD`s with it.What problems are you having?

I am aware of that but the one I have came with my Sony BluRay drive. It does not recognize ripped HD-DVD files on my drive. I think it is a version for playing only BD. See my first post in this thread.

You probably have the O.E.M. version.I didn`t know it wouldn`t play both formats.I believe your version only plays 2 ch. audio as well.Sony`s version may very well limit playback to BD.It wouldn`t suprise me.

Playing around with PDVD config I find that when I select SPDIF under audio I get 5.1 out but I get those glitches every few minutes in the playback. Now when I select 5.1 in config I get stereo but with clean sound. This is very upsetting.

Last edited:
Back