• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

powerdvd 8 + anydvdHD

kitchman

Hi all,
I accidently tried to play a properly mounted bluray iso backup in powerdvd 8 without anydvdHD running.

Does anyone know if powerdvd8 sends information about this attempt to their servers?

Thanks

Last edited:
Probably it does, to download and display Moovie stuff... I will be able to check over weekend, if it's really important.

But I wouldn't worry about it... from PowerDVD's point of view, you were using a real optical disc, with a movie it knows or doesn't know yet about - but so are doing thousands of other people (some with really real, or "real" discs).

thanks for your reply.

by a movie powerdvd8 "knows or doesn't know," i guess the backup in this instance would fall under the category of "doesn't know"?

i would very much appreciate if you could check that out over this weekend as it would be reassuring to know that there was no risk in playing the file without anydvd hd protection removal.

do you know if cyberlink collects any personally identifying information at all when they connect with their servers for whatever purpose?

Last edited:
I think you're being a little too paranoid, but if it really bothers you, you can block PowerDVD with any decent firewall (NOT the crappy Windows Firewall). I do that, but for other reasons (I hate them displaying ads in my PAID software).

by a movie powerdvd8 "knows or doesn't know," i guess the backup in this instance would fall under the category of "doesn't know"?

That would be my guess, yes, but honestly I don't know what PDVD checks - just volume name, or some hidden identification code.

i would very much appreciate if you could check that out over this weekend as it would be reassuring to know that there was no risk in playing the file without anydvd hd protection removal.

do you know if cyberlink collects any personally identifying information at all when they connect with their servers for whatever purpose?

Don't know yet, but will find out (except if they are sending information in encrypted state).

I don't think this is a reason to worry at all, and as andy_o points out, you can easily block PDVD from communicating with anyone.

thanks for the help guys.

looking forward to your packet analysis Digi! will put up a firewall from now on to monitor attempts.

but for the potential attempt mentioned originally that may have occurred, theres nothing to be worried about, correct?

Last edited:
Well, when the FBI starts their raids, most of us will surely come higher than you on the list, so we'll let you know!

I played Alvin & Chipmunks from real blu-ray disc and Terminator 2 from ISO. Lastest PDVD8 with everything related to moovie feature turned off.

In both cases, PDVD did "phone home", but it sent only it's own version number. Absolutely no private information was sent (like any disc identification, built-in hardware, IP address, currently logged in user name... nothing).

Back