PowerDVD 22 Ultra released

Discussion in 'High Definition Software' started by whatever_gong82, May 12, 2022.

1. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Well-Known Member

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=26690

They also warn against updating the os and/or Intel drivers without first ensuring sgx isn't broken or removed.

My only point here is that while it works right now, I'd personally not be buying it on the premise that it'll always remain working. Cyberlink has made it clear that once Intel or windows removes the deprecated support the party is over for official playback.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

el Filou likes this.
  2. whirlpool

whirlpool Well-Known Member

The hype would lead to the conclusion that SGX is no longer being developed, but has actually only been “deprecated from the 11th and 12th generation Intel Core Processors, but development continues”.

3. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

Cyberlink is faster in removing features than adding them.
    HD-DVD discontinued? Remove HD DVD support ASAP! People who own drives & discs? Don't care! (PowerDVD 7 beeing the last HD-DVD capable version)
    Nvidia drops 3D support? Remove 3D support ASAP! People who own working graphic cards & discs? Don't care! (PowerDVD 19 beeing the last 3D capable version)

4. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

5. SamuriHL

I'll grant you that.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

6. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

On PCs I switched to VLC and MPC long time ago. In a nutshelI I would say PowerDVD - regardless which version - is quite crippled if you don't have AnyDVD on that PC.

whatever_gong82 likes this.
  7. whirlpool

I’ve been able to play 4kUHD blu-Ray media, initially with PowerDVD 17 Ultra, since first setting up an SGX compliant Kaby Lake/Pioneer 4K UHD internal player platform in 2017. Recently upgraded to a Coffee Lake platform running Windows 11, still working OK.

8. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

You are ignoring all AMD systems or the newer Alder Lake Intel generation. Do you think that is OK for everyone besides you?

9. SamuriHL

No one is doubting it works for you. And that's great.

10. whirlpool

No strong feelings one way or the other, I built a platform to meet the PowerDVD Ultra playback requirements for playing UHD blu-ray media back in 2017, but I also use AnyDVD HD and have been a loyal user of Anydvd since the days of slysoft (2007).
    Use the solution that works for you. It's always useful to have alternatives.

whatever_gong82 and coopervid like this.
  11. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

That's OK. I understand. Others are most likely owning AnyDVD anyway and then it's a non-issue in this forum. For the general public it's a hazzle.

12. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 Well-Known Member

And, as a reminder to anyone that reads this Forum, Cyberlink has said in the past that if ever there is any post April 2020 update for any version of PowerDVD from 19 on down (12-18,) that the update will remove support for 3D:

Customer Support - The 3D media playback feature is no longer supported in new versions of PowerDVD released after April 2020. | CyberLink

coopervid likes this.
  13. neulin

neulin New Member

What third party software do you mean?

14. SamuriHL

I personally use JRiver MC. But any libbluray supporting player works.

15. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 Well-Known Member

PowerDVD 22 Ultra on sale (30% Off) for $79.99 through July 4th:

https://www.cyberlink.com/index_en_US.html

I guess that the sales for PowerDVD 22 are kind of flat, so they're pulling all the stops out to increase sales.

16. WayToGo

WayToGo Well-Known Member

The only use I have for it, is its ability to properly play the admittedly unusual (and BD-J) Dragon's Lair / Space Ace BDs. Couldn't do so with JRiver and others.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022 at 10:59 AM