• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 17 Ultra Officially released

"As long as your computer software you are running supports this forplayback and decoding then the drive will read this information and pass italong to your software."
- From CyberLink forums

So is all of this concern over what disk drives can and cannot read UHD disks it all for nothing?
Well, yeah, isn't that the point of all these threads, we're talking about UHD Blu-ray here.
Why would we discuss regular Blu-ray, there's lots of drives that can read those ?

I got Power DVD Ultra for 44.95 Canadian.
When I opened my old 14 version, a pop up lead me to where it allowed me to upgrade from version 14.
There were also options from 12 to 13 as well.
I also got another 10% of with a coupon code from my members page.

Has anyone tried if an upgrade setup works as a FULL standalone installer?

Not yet, but when I get my new PSU, that's what I plan on doing.
I suspect the upgrade version will simply ask for the previous key from your old version as it has always done for quite some time.

Remember in the past, that you had to have your old version installed in order to install the upgrade _ the registry became an incredible mess going through any number of versions.
There were many complaints, Cyberlink over came this with simply having your old key handy.

I suspect it will be the same here.

Didn't feel like waiting, it installed only asking for the upgrade key for version 17 only.
Simple enough...

The upgrade setup didn't ask for a v16 key, or did you have v16 or prior active, and it was detected. I'm trying to find out if i can get it at half price instead of full ^^

Well, yeah, isn't that the point of all these threads, we're talking about UHD Blu-ray here.
Why would we discuss regular Blu-ray, there's lots of drives that can read those ?
I know. I was referring to UHD Blu-Ray. Did I misunderstand that post that I referenced? Was it referring only to standard Blu-Rays?

The upgrade setup didn't ask for a v16 key, or did you have v16 or prior active, and it was detected. I'm trying to find out if i can get it at half price instead of full ^^
I pretty much removed all of 14 _ cleaned the registry with CCleaner until it found nothing _ restarted and installed 17.
There may have been something left, but I don't see how, there were no hidden files left in the 32 bit part of the computer of Cyberlink Power DVD. It did install with out it being there in "Programs and Features"
And when uninstalling 14, it asks if I want to save my settings, I chose not to.

I know. I was referring to UHD Blu-Ray. Did I misunderstand that post that I referenced? Was it referring only to standard Blu-Rays?
I just misunderstood your original statement _ the concern is genuine. Maybe if AACS can be circumvented the LG drives may be able to actually play the UHD discs in DVD 17 or even better, in MPC. If there was no AACS, then the protection would be gone, the rest of the OS would simply see the mt2 files and playlists as any other 4k file _ one would think.
Right now the biggest problem, at least when it comes to the drives, is availability. I don't really want to buy a drive from Japan and have all the instructions in Japanese, not to mention the cost.
The March release date from Pioneer for the US drives certainly has gone out the window, so the heck knows. I did contact them, received a bunch of useless answers and have gotten no where with Pioneer.

For me it doesn't matter anyway, there is absolutely nothing to gain if I can't use a dedicated GPU. I was hoping for AMD's smooth motion, but that's gone; at least for now.

I'll keep buying up bits of hardware as long as it doesn't get to expensive, but I'll be damned if I'm going to buy a new MoBo and processor.

Last edited:
Guess it's worth a try, I can always say I clicked the wrong link.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Tried trial. What a stupid trial as they give you 30 days and disable 4k hdr in trial version. Sorry im not paying to see if my tv will turn on hdr in oled 10bit 4k demos. Trial is 30 days.. should include full features. Bad business model.

Didn't feel like waiting, it installed only asking for the upgrade key for version 17 only.
Simple enough...
Can you google 4k hdr demos and try the oled jazz demo and tell me if version17 will trigger hdr on your tv? I figured out tonight how to take uhd log type footage and insert hdr10 trigger meta data into a file. Im using that jazz samples meta data numbers. What ive found is hdr10 the dynamic settings do not change much over s large range of uhd samples. Each hdr tv is also unique. Dolby vision uses hybrid meta data. Sorry for getting off topic. Powerdvd 17 hdr triggering is important for pro res codecs and raw footage which this verson says it supports.

Guess it's worth a try, I can always say I clicked the wrong link.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk
I only bought it because 44 bucks and change was pretty inexpensive.
It may become useful sometime down the line.

Can you google 4k hdr demos and try the oled jazz demo and tell me if version17 will trigger hdr on your tv? I figured out tonight how to take uhd log type footage and insert hdr10 trigger meta data into a file. Im using that jazz samples meta data numbers. What ive found is hdr10 the dynamic settings do not change much over s large range of uhd samples. Each hdr tv is also unique. Dolby vision uses hybrid meta data. Sorry for getting off topic. Powerdvd 17 hdr triggering is important for pro res codecs and raw footage which this verson says it supports.
I have a Sony 300es projector and it doesn't have HDR _ sorry.

Well it worked lol. Fresh install (though had 14 & 16 installed, didn't ask for previous license key) with the upgrade key, and with the coupon "HOORAY20", another 20% off from the upgrade price. 39.99€ total. That's a bargain

PowerDVD 17 works fine with MKV HDR files, I just tried the Life of pi HDR demo.
My uhdtv display HDR correctly like it does when I play it with the Movies and Tv app or mpc/madvr.

PowerDVD 17 works fine with MKV HDR files, I just tried the Life of pi HDR demo.
My uhdtv display HDR correctly like it does when I play it with the Movies and Tv app or mpc/madvr.
Movies and tv app reads meta file wrong and gives you sdi. Anyone know if ther tv mode switches to true hdr in powerdvd17 with hdr10 hevc demos? Ive seen life of pi actual hdr uhd movievon many different hdr tvs and its way too oversaturated on windows movie and tv app. This way my first test source when I decided to buy a uhd player. That blue metallic water is bull. What you are looking for in hdr is extreme bright lights that have detail and extreme darks that retain detail at the same time. Trust me.... you will know your watching true hdr when you see it in real life. Nick cage on netflix in hdr is amazing.

Nop Movies and tv play hdr files exactly like mpc/madvr or the usb port of my tv. Hdr is identical .
It must be something wrong in your setup.

Attachments

• movies and tv.jpg
    movies and tv.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • mpc-madvr.jpg
    mpc-madvr.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • powerdvd 17.jpg
    powerdvd 17.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • usb port.jpg
    usb port.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • movies and tv HDR off.jpg
    movies and tv HDR off.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • mpc-madvr windowed mode.jpg
    mpc-madvr windowed mode.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I just misunderstood your original statement _ the concern is genuine. Maybe if AACS can be circumvented the LG drives may be able to actually play the UHD discs in DVD 17 or even better, in MPC. If there was no AACS, then the protection would be gone, the rest of the OS would simply see the mt2 files and playlists as any other 4k file _ one would think.
Right now the biggest problem, at least when it comes to the drives, is availability. I don't really want to buy a drive from Japan and have all the instructions in Japanese, not to mention the cost.
The March release date from Pioneer for the US drives certainly has gone out the window, so the heck knows. I did contact them, received a bunch of useless answers and have gotten no where with Pioneer.

For me it doesn't matter anyway, there is absolutely nothing to gain if I can't use a dedicated GPU. I was hoping for AMD's smooth motion, but that's gone; at least for now.

I'll keep buying up bits of hardware as long as it doesn't get to expensive, but I'll be damned if I'm going to buy a new MoBo and processor.
I wish @James and the other devs the best of luck then!
Tried trial. What a stupid trial as they give you 30 days and disable 4k hdr in trial version. Sorry im not paying to see if my tv will turn on hdr in oled 10bit 4k demos. Trial is 30 days.. should include full features. Bad business model.
Isn't the 4K HDR feature like the only thing that makes PowerDVD 17 worth purchasing?

Nop Movies and tv play hdr files exactly like mpc/madvr or the usb port of my tv. Hdr is identical .
It must be something wrong in your setup.
Unfortunately it's really hard to see the difference in picture quality in all of the images you've posted.

Back