• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 17 Blu-Ray Playback Problem

David_B

I am trying to play a Blu-Ray with PowerDVD 17, but PowerDVD keeps freezing when I try to do so. This is not just happening with AnyDVD rips, but also when I try to play back the original disk. I tried completely uninstalling PowerDVD and reinstalling it but that has not resolved the issue. I am starting to think that the issue may have to do with the latest NVIDIA graphics card driver update because everything was working before. This idea was inspired by the pop-up that I see every time I try to load a Blu-Ray. Has anyone else with an NVIDIA card experienced this, and if so, does anyone know how to work around it until CyberLink and/or NVIDIA fix it properly, assuming that the driver is in fact the problem?

NVIDIA Gameplay Pop-Up.PNG

Not seeing that myself, but I don't have GeForce Experience installed

Not seeing that myself, but I don't have GeForce Experience installed
What driver are you running? I'm running the one from June 28, 2017 (version 384.76).

Update: I just tried several of my rips on my old laptop (I can't try an actual disk because it doesn't have a Blu-Ray drive) and it worked fine with the same exact version of PowerDVD so it's definitely not a PowerDVD issue.

Last edited:
@Adbear GFE is just a launcher type thing like origin, Uplay... with basic nvidia info and driver download. That's all it does.

@David_B I see the same nvidia thing, but everything works just fine here running 382.05. I'll install 384.76 and let ya know

Well I'm not seeing it on any of my machines and I'm running 384.76

<OFF-TOPIC>

@Ch3vr0n Sorry, but GFE is nothing like Origin, Uplay, etc.

GFE is not required to be installed and, honestly, there is little reason to if you don't play games. GFE is for optimizing game settings for supported games, GameStream for streaming games to the NVIDIA Shield, sharing game moments, and Virtual Reality for VR gaming settings, and keeping drivers up-to-date. It's added junk if people aren't gamers. Yes, games can be launched from within GFE but it's completely different than Origin or Uplay which are digital rights and digital distribution systems for games.

</OFF-TOPIC>

I am running the latest NVIDIA drivers (384.76 WHQL) with my GeForce GTX 780 under Windows 10 Pro x64 (Creators Update). No issues with PowerDVD 17.

@David_B Open GFE and select the Home tab if you aren't already there. Then locate the setting for sharing and toggle it off. Does it help with the pop-up?

GFE.png

@David_B Also, CyberLink released an update, v17.0.1808.60, to PowerDVD 17 on the 18th of June. Are you running the latest version or an older one?

@Adbear GFE is just a launcher type thing like origin, Uplay... with basic nvidia info and driver download. That's all it does.

@David_B I see the same nvidia thing, but everything works just fine here running 382.05. I'll install 384.76 and let ya know
Okay, thank you.

@David_B Open GFE and select the Home tab if you aren't already there. Then locate the setting for sharing and toggle it off. Does it help with the pop-up?

View attachment 34239
Unfortunately, that did not work.

@David_B Also, CyberLink released an update, v17.0.1808.60, to PowerDVD 17 on the 18th of June. Are you running the latest version or an older one?
Yes, I am running the latest version.

So just update to the latest drivers, mounted an iso and launched PDVD 17 (already was running latest update). Started playback, nvidia slider popped up. Playback continued as if it didn't pop up. Everything fine. Though my hardware may not be the same as yours. For me there are zero issues.

Though @DrinkLyeAndDie thanks for that image. Been wondering where the setting was to turn that damn thing off :D

Though @DrinkLyeAndDie thanks for that image. Been wondering where the setting was to turn that damn thing off :D

Glad to help. Personally, I prefer the older layout of GFE and the settings. I used to be able to control the lighting on my GTX 780 from within GFE. I'm not into fanciness but it allowed me to turn it off, be steady, pulse, etc. Now, they removed that altogether and moved things around. I find it less intuitive now. Plus all the unnecessary extra services and garbage that run as a result of GFE. *SIGH* If I didn't play games I simply wouldn't install it

Unfortunately, that did not work.

Hmmm... it should. At least it always has helped for me in getting rid of that annoyance. Not sure why it won't in your case.

Yes, I am running the latest version.

I'm sorry then. I am really not sure what to tell you. It wouldn't hurt to list your system specs: hardware and OS.

Pretty sure you can just download the nvidia drivers from their site. GFE isn't really needed :)

Pretty sure you can just download the nvidia drivers from their site. GFE isn't really needed :)

Right. During the driver install you can select whether or not to install GFE. The option is always part of the driver installation which makes sense. If a person doesn't need it then just untick that box. I always do a custom install and leave out the extra stuff that doesn't apply to my setup. I just install the video driver, PhysX, and GFE.

As was suggested by someone on the NVIDIA forums, I installed the latest beta driver and everything seems to be working again. What I'm confused about though is that the version number for the latest beta release is lower than the version number for the latest stable release.

Back