PowerDVD 16 crash opening mkv files

Discussion in 'CloneBD' started by skurko, Feb 28, 2019.

1. skurko

skurko Well-Known Member

I have been converting BD movies to mkv with CloneBD 1.2.4.0 since it came out without issues. Playing them with PowerDVD 16. Then I converted 3 movies today and out of nowhere, PowerDVD crashes when opening the mkv files! Really strange. Didn't change the version/patch on either CloneBD or PowerDVD. VLC can still play them!

In the (far) past when I had issues, I used MKVToolMix to "scrub" the mkv file when I had playing issues. Tried that now with no difference. Events log reveals that PowerDVD is indeed crashing. See below.

Don't expect there is much you can do, but thought i share this as it's rather odd. Been a happy user with CloneBD since a long time and hopefully this is just a glitch.

Faulting application name: PowerDVD.exe, version: 16.0.39869.7202, time stamp: 0x58414fb9
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17763.134, time stamp: 0xc30ded87
    Exception code: 0xe06d7363
    Fault offset: 0x0011ab32
    Faulting process id: 0xd98
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d4cf1427babe8e
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD16\PowerDVD.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: b4232882-6402-4674-8b77-383c2f911929
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

2. skurko

skurko Well-Known Member

Just realized I just installed the new nVidia drivers 419.17 that just came out a couple of days ago and I use CUDA making x265 mkv files. Could be related.

3. skurko

skurko Well-Known Member

Updated to latest patch of PowerDVD 18 and same issue. Previously made mkv files work fine.

4. skurko

skurko Well-Known Member

I installed CloneBD 1.2.4.3 and rebooted (just in case), converted another BD and this time it plays in PowerDVD. Either my computer was in bad state, or something was fixed/improved with latest CloneBD beta. (the bad mkv files, still don't play. Will have to convert them again.)

5. skurko

skurko Well-Known Member

Went back to 1.2.4.0 and PowerDVD 18 cannot play the mkv files and crashes right away. Something in that version causes it to generate bade mkv files with latest nVidia drivers. I wonder what changed in this area that 1.2.4.3 fixed.