• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 10 reports "unsupported format" using VCD with BD ISO

ViperGeek

I've been trying to troubleshoot this for days, and would very much appreciate any insight or suggestions you may have.

I recently installed PowerDVD 10 Ultra, patched to the latest version (2429), along with Virtual CloneDrive under Windows 7 and have been happily playing BD ISOs converted from MKV using either tsMuxer or AVS Video Converter and created using ImgBurn. Yay!

This weekend, I performed the same set of installations on my Windows XP SP3 laptop. No joy. Using an unpatched version of PowerDVD 10 (1516), the BD ISO, created with UDF 2.5 and mounted with VCD, is recognized and plays as a Blu-ray Disc. When I load any of the later patches of PowerDVD 10 (2325, 2429), the software then starts complaining that "There is a disc with an unsupported format in drive E:"

This clearly seems to be PowerDVD performing additional checks on my Windows XP system, determining (somehow) that the VCD-mounted BD ISO isn't kosher. I can browse the files on the VCD drive and even double-click the 00000.m2ts file which plays in the patched version of PowerDVD.

As my latest attempt, I loaded AnyDVD HD trial to see if it's UDF 2.5 filters could "rightsize" PowerDVD's opinion of the virtual drive, but still get the same error. If I uninstall PowerDVD 10 and re-install the unpatched version, everything works fine.

My questions to this esteemed and responsive audience are:

* Have you run into this before?
* Do you have any troubleshooting suggestions?
* Can you think of a workaround?

The only "solution" I'm aware of is to run down-rev PowerDVD 10 and hope none of the bug fixes were all that important. I'm hoping you guys can come up with more ideas and suggestions.

Thanks!

- Dave

Last edited:
Using windows xp, did you install toshiba's UDF 2.50 driver? Windows XP has no native support for UDF 2.50 wich is used by blu-rays

The problem is on your end cause i just ripped a disc to iso a couple hours ago and updated to 2429 aswell. Iso played without a problem

Using windows xp, did you install toshiba's UDF 2.50 driver? Windows XP has no native support for UDF 2.50 wich is used by blu-rays

Not needed for PowerDVD.
It is a bug with the newest PowerDVD build (under XP only). Contact Cyberlink for help, or use a previous build.

Thank you both for the amazingly fast replies!

I will chase this down with Cyberlink. Thanks for the suggestion. In your experience, does their Support team throw their hands up at the mention of a "virtual BD-ROM drive" (eg. Virtual CloneDrive)?

- Dave

To be polite and answer your question, yes, I have both IMAPI hotfixes for Windows XP installed and the UDF 2.5 drivers from Toshiba. XP can read the mounted ISO in Explorer (proving native read of UDF 2.5), but the latest PowerDVD 10 patch buggers up access. For the record, Nero ShowTime also plays the mounted ISO perfectly.

The problem is on your end cause i just ripped a disc to iso a couple hours ago and updated to 2429 aswell. Iso played without a problem
Are you using Windows XP SP3? Was it a BD ISO?

- Dave

Nupe sry, forgot about that part. Vista 64 here but it was a bd iso. Sry for the confusion

I will chase this down with Cyberlink. Thanks for the suggestion. In your experience, does their Support team throw their hands up at the mention of a "virtual BD-ROM drive" (eg. Virtual CloneDrive)?

Here was CyberLink's reply:

"Dear David,

"Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

"In regards to your concern, I would like to inform you that this is not a bug in the software.

"Please note that PowerDVD software does not support playback of ripped Blu-Ray discs from the clone drives.

"You may or may not be able to play the ripped Blu-Ray discs from Clone drive but CyberLink does not support this.

"Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp

"Thanks and Regards
Amit
CyberLink Technical Support"

I guess I'm SOL with respect to Virtual CloneDrive, Windows XP, and the latest patch of PowerDVD 10. I'm currently keeping PowerDVD 10 Ultra on my XP machine at Patch 1830 and will avoid any further PowerDVD updates until I find a better DVD/BD player solution.

- Dave

Another reply from CyberLink after I asked them to reconsider support of virtual BD drives:

"Dear David,

"Thank you for writing back.

"The support for virtual drive is not the limitation of the software. This is the limitation of the Blu-Ray discs due to Blu-Ray discs content protection legal issue.

"Due to legal issue CyberLink has to remove this feature from the PowerDVD software."

So this was a FEATURE added to PowerDVD in the later patches to explicitly disable VCD support. Serious bummer!

- Dave

Last edited:
Now thats utter bullcrap lol. Whatya think i often use. VCD and PowerDVD 10 with the latest updates. Works like a charm, and in case anydvd would even try to mutter some message like that, anydvd even has a setting for it.

Settings > Video Blu-ray > "PowerDVD "virtual drive detected" workarround". Tick that one and then try again

Another reply from CyberLink after I asked them to reconsider support of virtual BD drives:

"Dear David,

"Thank you for writing back.

"The support for virtual drive is not the limitation of the software. This is the limitation of the Blu-Ray discs due to Blu-Ray discs content protection legal issue.

"Due to legal issue CyberLink has to remove this feature from the PowerDVD software."

So this was a FEATURE added to PowerDVD in the later patches to explicitly disable VCD support. Serious bummer!
I believe this is just support blah. If they really wanted to blacklist VCD (which isn't that hard), why does it still work under Vista & Windows 7? :rolleyes:

Settings > Video Blu-ray > "PowerDVD "virtual drive detected" workarround". Tick that one and then try again

No, don't. This is a workaround for a bug with older PowerDVD builds. I really should remove this checkbox, it isn't doing any good for PowerDVD 10 (and later PowerDVD 7/8/9 builds), on the contrary.

I agree on all counts, although I don't think the Support engineer made up the answer. It sounds like a KB search result canned response.

Since I'm a three-OS household (XP, Vista and Windows 7), I *am* very glad that PowerDVD 10 still plays well with VCD on the non-XP platforms. I'm guessing the native high def DVD support in Vista and Win7 makes it less obvious that something "funny" is going on when PowerDVD finds the \BDMV folder and/or the UDF 2.5 filesystem format.

FYI, another very popular virtual drive solution *does* work with the latest patch of PowerDVD 10 under Windows XP. Unfortunately, the version that works requires "Advanced Emulation" enabled and is not free. PM me for details (lest this thread shows up on Google and CyberLink disables _IT_ too).

- Dave

Last edited:
Just Updated to - 10.0.2429.51, and get "There is a disc with an usupported format in drive x" message now. Using latest Nonbeta of anydvd and Virtual clonedrive on Windows 7 x64..

Thanks

I have very simple solution. Switch the player from cyberlink to arcsoft :D

Just Updated to - 10.0.2429.51, and get "There is a disc with an usupported format in drive x" message now. Using latest Nonbeta of anydvd and Virtual clonedrive on Windows 7 x64..

That's very odd. I'm running PowerDVD 10 Mark II Version 10.0.2429.51 (DVD101223-01) under Windows 7 x86 (32-bit) and can still play BD's using Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.4.0. It's possible that x86 != x64, but the trend is disconcerting. Are you running the latest version of VCD?

This is starting to stress me out. Either PowerDVD has to go (as mentioned above) or I need to move away from Virtual CloneDrive.

- Dave

you are right Hawk for arcsoft
but it is not supported in XP, 2003 (X64)

not run :(

and Virpergeek
I do not think that the probleme is x86 vs x64
I same problem on xp, 2003 (x86 vs x64)

You guys don't also have DAEMON Tools installed do you?

I've recently found (on my machine anyway) that if you install it *without* sptd (so it uses basic emulation), PowerDVD 10 won't play *any* Blu-ray stuff. Not a real disc, not a protected image, not an unprotected image. All I got was the 'There is a disc with an unsupported format in drive X:' message you got.

As soon as I remove the DT drive (just via the system tray agent), it works fine again.

If I install DT *with* SPTD, PowerDVD has no trouble playing Blu-ray content even when the DT drive is still present - so it's something to do with their basic emulation driver.

Hi Turkleton,
You system is X86 or X64?

I try DT on x82 and right, PowerDVD has no trouble playing Blu-ray content
But in 2003 (x64) the function emulator in DT is not run

Vista SP2 x86.

If you didn't already have DT installed, you obviously don't/didn't have the same problem I did.

I have no problem using Virtual CloneDrive with PowerDVD. I just had a problem with *every* drive (real or virtual) when a DT drive using Basic Emulation was present on the system.

Last edited:
Back