• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Possible to rip to ISO without Copy Protection?

Gilmore21

Hi,

I've been ripping my discs to folder for a long while now but recently I've seen that ISO is very popular and most people advise ISO so I'm thinking about ripping to this format. However doesn't ripping to ISO rip identical to the original (bit for bit) meaning that the copy protection is still present? I would like the ISO without copy protection if possible.

Ripping to ISO is not bit for bit but a decrypted ISO will be produced unless you want to make an encrypted ISO. In the same process you can also remove region and coutry codes if you select these options. I have a Oppo clone mediaplayer and use this format all the time. Just one file and not a lot of files. And if you want you can load the ISO with VirtualCloneDrive and voila -there are all your folders and files.

Ripping to ISO is not bit for bit but a decrypted ISO will be produced unless you want to make an encrypted ISO. In the same process you can also remove region and coutry codes if you select these options. I have a Oppo clone mediaplayer and use this format all the time. Just one file and not a lot of files. And if you want you can load the ISO with VirtualCloneDrive and voila -there are all your folders and files.

OK that makes perfect sense to me. Can you put Blu-ray into an .iso file without protection aswell? Also do you have user prohibited ticked or left unticked?

One more hint. Ripping DVDs to ISO is not recommended by James (author of AnyDVD). There is also a checkbox to show a warning if you do so. I don't do DVDs anymore, only BD and UHD and I never ripped DVDs to ISO. Therefore I don't know if there are actually any issues doing that.

If we're talking about DVD ripping to ISO, it definitely is not recommended for any discs with structural protection. If you do that, there's a 50/50 chance the ISO contents will be unplayable. Ripping to folder is recommended for those. I, personally, would always rip to a folder. That way, you don't accidentally do get an ISO that doesn't play.

If you do that, there's a 50/50 chance the ISO contents will be unplayable.
Actually, they should always be playable as a disc. The problem is using tools like DVDShrink, Handbrake or whatnot on such an iso. They might fail miserably, or the result might be unplayable.

It's been so long since I switched from ISO, but I used to always use ISO, until I came across 2 that were structurally protected and didn't play right on playback. Now, I'm only going by memory, but I thought upon testing this, I had used AnyDVD to make an ISO and then mounted that ISO as a virtual drive in Virtual CloneDrive. I then attempted to play the drive in Media Player Classic and it had all kinds of playback issues in it. Now, I could be remembering incorrectly. I think the discs were Transformers: Dark Of The Moon and the Disney DVD of My Neighbor Totoro Disc 1.

I'll see if I can find either one of those two DVD's in my collection and see if I can replicate these results with just direct read to ISO, without any processing done to the VIDEO_TS like with, as you said, DVDShrink.

I then attempted to play the drive in Media Player Classic and it had all kinds of playback issues in it.
Quite possible. If it uses the filesystem to read these discs, it will fail miserably on some "aggressive" titles. Probably with the original discs, too. PowerDVD or a "real" player should work. If the original disc does.

You see, I can't remember if these results were on the final "processed" disc or before that stage. I may be remembering incorrectly. The discs may have gone through DVDShrink processing, but I don't think they would have. I just don't remember. I do know they would have been processed by DVDReMake before being burned to discs. I just remember when I switched to ripping to File for these protected DVD's, they ended up processing fine to the final burnt disc stage and playback.

Back