• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Possible to make Anydvd ripper faster?

Suppliers of the other products to re-code to support AnyDVD?

Ohhh boy. You must not have been around when Anydvd users were yelling at James to implement DVD Shrink (which is abandonware) support for Sony/Lionsgate titles.

I think I'll go crawl into a hole and hide now.

Last edited:
The I/O code isn't part of the libdvd.lib we have licensed, so reading / writing is completely different to what CloneDVD does.
And about implementing it "sooner": First I have made a ripper based on FixVTS to please the Shrink users. Then FixVTS changed the licensing to GPL, so it couldn't be updated. After some back and forth, all the work went to the trashcan and I started all over again - to please Shrink users. What do people expect? That I snip with my fingers and a complete new copy application is finished?
"Good things will come to those who wait". Like the new "all-singing-all-dancing AI Scanner(tm)". :D

It sings and dances now? Well, why bother with DVDs when AnyDVD is going to provide all the entertainment?! :D I can't wait to check that feature out. It sounds quite fun. As for the I/O code, for those that don't understand, it's done at a very low level in CloneDVD2 whereas AnyDVD does the I/O at a much higher level, assumably relying on Windows API calls. Obviously a custom algorithm for I/O that is designed for DVD reading will be more efficient than one that relies on Windows API calls. That's my take on it anyway. I'm sure James will impale me with a foam bat if I got that wrong. ;)

In a perfect world, everything would be free and or work just the way we all want it too.

If only life was so sweet.

Nearly every business on the planet tries to make their product proprietary to some extent.

I would love to see the ripper improved and do not blame anyone for asking Slysoft for the improvements they would like to see implemented, but it is up to Slysoft when they decide they have the time or inclination to implement requested improvements, don't you think?

As far as AnyDVD supporting other products, why is it we are not asking the Suppliers of the other products to re-code to support AnyDVD?

I agree with a lot that you say.

I have commented on this in the past and I will say it again... Slysoft and Elaborate Bytes have a business relationship. Slysoft is a reseller of CloneDVD and more recently licensed parts of the CloneDVD ripping engine [although I cannot say how much since only Slysoft knows for sure] from Elaborate Bytes. It is not in Slysoft's best interest to create a product the competes with the very business they have a business relationship with. That's a given and it baffles me when people neglect to think about the reasons.

It's one thing if the AnyDVD ripper uses code from the CloneDVD ripping engine to produce a full disc but once it begins adding features that make it compete with CloneDVD then problems are sure to follow. I, personally, would love to see the option added to rip to an ISO, though, but if it never gets added I won't lose any sleep.

As for the speed issue if the difference in the amount of time between the AnyDVD ripper and another product is all of 1 minute then I really don't think Slysoft should update the ripper. As it is the people who are still using DVD Shrink should be happy that Slysoft has the feature available at all. When and if the difference between ripping with other products and the AnyDVD ripper becomes a substantial difference then I'd agree asking for a speed improvement would have merit.

Yes, I was around then and I really do not have a problem with anyone asking for improvements, it's the demanding that makes me wonder.
I would love it if all my software played nice together but it doesn't, so I live with it and do what I have to do to make it work.
And while we are on the subject, why isn't Microsoft going to make DirectX10 available for XP?? DirectX10 is Microsoft's own product!?
I hate Vista!
Oops I'm tracking off here LOL.

I, personally, would love to see the option added to rip to an ISO, though

With a file providing layer break info that I can import into another program (like Clonecd)? /drool

Then I wouldn't care when stuff like The Lookout messes up Clonecd. But I suppose this new all dancing Anydvd thingy will fix something like that from happening again.

Errr . . . wait! No, James wants to work on Game Jackal Vista 64 bit edition! Back off!!! :D

Yes, I was around then and I really do not have a problem with anyone asking for improvements, it's the demanding that makes me wonder.

All the Shrink screamers made my life fun. :-/ But anydvd ripper was implemented, I suppose. I'm not sure all the shouting helped anything though.

And while we are on the subject, why isn't Microsoft going to make DirectX10 available for XP?? DirectX10 is Microsoft's own product!?

Because they want to sell Vista, I suppose.

I hate Vista!

I'm not a fan either. I don't like the extra DRM junk for starters.

But 32 bit edition OS limits the amount of memory you can use effectively. And Vista will be the only OS (with service pack 1) to officially offer and support Directx 10.1. So that means the future of PC Gaming is really with Vista 64 bit OSes, much to my chagrin.

Which, brings me back to Game Jackal . . . ;)

Last edited:
I didn't mean to sound 'snappy' but what I said is how I feel. It would be great if the ripper can be improved in that respect. I'm not asking to add features from CloneDVD2. Just a different method of ripping the disc to speed up the process :).

@ linx05,

You need to apologize for accusing SlySoft of using some unsavory “tactic” of suggesting SlySoft customers or SlySoft potential customer to “go buy another product” (CloneDVD) in your #14 posting in this thread.

Slysoft gives all potential customers a liberal 21 day trial period to fully test the capabilities of the AnyDVD software program and all other SlySoft/ Elaborate Bytes programs and if they don’t meet their expectations they are under no obligation to purchase AnyDVD or any other SlySoft/Elaborate Bytes software product.

It is noted that you are talking about a trivial 60 second different between AnyDVD and other “DVD Rippers” that you tried.

Regards,
Coaster

Why this obsession with the "need for speed"? :confused: What are a few minutes more of less in the scheme of things?

Why this obsession with the "need for speed"? :confused: What are a few minutes more of less in the scheme of things?

I can understand wanting an improvement to software programs, in general.

But here's the thing: Anydvd can decrypt on the fly for most discs without people requiring the use of Anydvd ripper. Some Sony/Lionsgate releases are the exception--and generally speaking, an exception for Dvd Shrink users (which is a program, by the way, that James openly admits to liking; so it's not as though he hates Shrink).

So, it seems to me that people (or at least Shrink users) don't need to be using Anydvd ripper all the time. I could be wrong, but doesn't it seem as though you'd only need to use it in certain instances (in which case, the extra time taken for an occasional rip here and there may not be that big of a deal)? Or am I mistaken?

Last edited:
Back