• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Plextor PX-760A & Duo Core 2

they maybe were on top of the game prior to the Duo Core 2 and the Intel chipset.

I own two PX-760a burners. And they work perfectly fine with an Intel Quad core system on an intel P35 express based chipset. They also work fine with dual cores.

Personally, I would go through the steps I outlined previously, but as you've already made your decision, there's not much point.

I feel much better now that I got ripped off on the cable. You are correct it is a round one. :(

Tomorrow I am taking the computer back in to the tech that built it. He called and said that he is burning DVD-R with one of PX-810SA, but is using Retek Discs. There maybe hope yet. According to him it hates Verbatim DVD-R but has no problem with their DVD+R.

I told him about the 760A, it seems he wants to perform some of the same tests you mentioned. He reminded me that my wife Duo Core 2 (exact same MOBO and chip) is using both the 716A and 760A IDE in her computer. He said he was not completely sold on SATA yet, but after he got 810SA up and running he thinking it over again.

I feel much better now that I got ripped off on the cable. You are correct it is a round one. :(

Just return it. Get your money back. Want some good advice? Don't buy cables from Best Buy. The markup is nuts (huge profit for them).

I took the Plextor 760A into my tech today after an hour of messing around with it, he asked if I would leave with him to run some additional tests. No problem on my part it doesn't work anyways.

I have searching both the Slysoft and CDFreaks forum. Someone mention updating the Plextor 810SA with a model from Pioneer. I am not worried about the warranty, my tech said that he would do it but it not his. Does anyone remember the Pioneer model? I am going to try it.

I took the Plextor 760A into my tech today after an hour of messing around with it, he asked if I would leave with him to run some additional tests. No problem on my part it doesn't work anyways.

I have searching both the Slysoft and CDFreaks forum. Someone mention updating the Plextor 810SA with a model from Pioneer. I am not worried about the warranty, my tech said that he would do it but it not his. Does anyone remember the Pioneer model? I am going to try it.
I've had problems with my Pioneer drive, I would avoid Pioneer.

I've had problems with my Pioneer drive, I would avoid Pioneer.

You had problems with a single faulty drive, which you replaced and now works fine. And since crossflashing, it seems that you have additional features that you didn't even pay for. So you're going to avoid Pioneer based on a single faulty burner?

You had problems with a single faulty drive, which you replaced and now works fine. And since crossflashing, it seems that you have additional features that you didn't even pay for. So you're going to avoid Pioneer based on a single faulty burner?
I am disgusted by the fact that a new drive does not come with bitsetting capabilities out of the box. I know I am overacting a little but that makes me mad. And the CD problem even though it was fixed.

I am disgusted by the fact that a new drive does not come with bitsetting capabilities out of the box. I know I am overacting a little but that makes me mad.

I can certainly understand that. I think most people who buy them over at cdfreaks know about this limitation and buy the 112d with the specific intention of crossflashing (unfortunately that does void the warranty).

I quess your right, I installed the Philips SPD2513BD earlier tonight, it burners about everything on the planet.

Specifications

Cache Size: 2 MB
DVD+R Write Speed: 20x
DVD+RW Rewrite Speed: 8X
DVD-R Write Speed: 20x
DVD-RW Rewrite Speed: 6x
DVD Read Speed: 16x
DVD-RAM Write Speed: 12x
DVD Access Time: 160 ms
CD Write Speed: 48x
CD Rewrite Speed: 24x
CD Read Speed: 48x
CD Access Time: 160 ms
Color: Black
Length: 6.6"
Width: 5.7"
Height: 1.6"
Weight: 31.74 oz.
Load Type: Tray
Interface Type: Serial ATA
Enclosure Type: Internal

Compatible Writable Media: CD-R
CD-RW
DVD+R
DVD-RAM
DVD-RW
DVD+RW
DVD-R
DVD+R DL
DVD-R DL

Writing Modes: Disc-at-Once
Session-at-Once
Track-at-Once
Variable Packet
Fixed Packet

Supported Formats: CD-DA
CD-Extra
CD-i/FMV
CD-Plus
CD-R/RW
CD-ROM
CD-ROM XA
DVD+R
DVD-RAM
DVD-ROM single layer/dual layer
DVD-RW
Karaoke CD
Multisession
Photo CD
Video CD
DVD+RW
DVD-R

Detailed Features

Features

High-speed 20X recording speed for DVD+R & DVD-R media with good disc quality.
Support 8X DVD+R DL & 8X DVD-R DL recording function.
Avoid Buffer UnderRun Error, Automatically adjusting writing strategy & running OPC to provide the best burning quality.
Adjusts CD-DA / VCD / DVD data extraction to a fastest allowable speed according to both data request rate from host and disk quality.
Through drive's self-learning function, automatically detect and decide the optimal write strategy of DVD recordable media (DVD+R & DVD-R) for the best quality.
DVD read compliant: DVD single/dual layer (PTP/OTP), DVD-R(3.9GB/4.7GB), DVD-R multi-borders, DVD-RAM,DVD+R, DVD+R multi-sessions, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW.
CD read compliant: CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-ROM/XA, Photo-CD, Multi-session, Karaoke-CD,Video-CD, CD-I FMV, CD Extra, CD Plus, CD-R, and CD-RW.
Conform to Orange Book : Part 2 CD-R Volume 1, Part 2 CD-R Volume 2 Multi Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 1 ( 1x, 2x, and 4x ), Part 3 CD-RW Volume 2 : High Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 3 : Ultra Speed.
Support Fixed packet, Variable packet, Disc-at-once, Session-at-once and Track-at-once

Latest Owner Reviews

It works for me I already tried Verbatim DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+R DL and CD-R and it is super fast. :)

The Samsung will be here tomorrow, let's see what that does. I quess I will box up my Plextors, except the 760A if my tech gets it working.

Thanks for warning on crossing the firmware.

Last edited:
I can certainly understand that. I think most people who buy them over at cdfreaks know about this limitation and buy the 112d with the specific intention of crossflashing (unfortunately that does void the warranty).
Before I buy a drive I guess I am gonna have to research it to see if it supports bitsetting. I thought all new drives did. But this crossflashing is nice.

I quess your right, I installed the Philips SPD2513BD earlier tonight

I'm pretty sure that's really a Lite-on LH-20A1S rebadge by the way (if it's the SATA version).

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's really a Lite-on LH-20A1S rebadge by the way (if it's the SATA version).

Is that a good thing or bad? I hate to ask but is the Samsung really a Samsung? Doesn't anyone make their own equipment anymore? I heard Sony is really a LG.

Is that a good thing or bad? I hate to ask but is the Samsung really a Samsung? Doesn't anyone make their own equipment anymore? I heard Sony is really a LG.
I thought LG was made by Panasonic.

The only reason I thought that was when they were installing the software it said LG, I could be wrong. That seems to my problem lately. So Sony is a Sony?

Last edited:
Is that a good thing or bad?

Depends on whether you like Lite-on, I suppose.

I hate to ask but is the Samsung really a Samsung?

They tend to be, yes.

Doesn't anyone make their own equipment anymore?

Lots of rebadges exist.

I heard Sony is really a LG.

Sonys are mostly rebadges of other drives (and are not specific to any one brand).
Sony DRU-830UA = Samsung SH-S182 (based on what I've read and have been told)
Sony DRU-820A = Benq 1670
Sony DRU-810A = Benq 1640

The PX-760a is really a Plextor burner, by the way.

Last edited:

No. LG is a Korean brand (burners tend to be made in China and also, sometimes, in Korea). But the chipsets can be Panasonic. Usually Renesas or Panasonic (Panasonic chipsets mostly as of late) . . .

Panasonic oem drives are Matshitas (and generally should be avoided).

Last edited:
Back