• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Plex vs. JellyFin

DQ

I have used Plex for years and I enjoy using it. It has a lot of flexibility and overall is very stable.

But I am always on the lookout for something new and or better.

I had heard about JellyFin before but never looked into it very far. But I had just finished rebuilding my Plex box since a single hardware upgrade cascaded into changing out multiple parts of hardware and a fresh Windows install. So I figured, well I can just slap in a different HD and reinstall Windows and add JellyFin. So I did.

I had read many Redditt threads of people swearing their first born to JellyFin because it was superior to Plex and you did not need to authenticate to Plex and there was no overemphasis on streaming services like Plex.

So I installed it. And within 5 minutes found out it can work with an antenna tuner but only 2 types and it requires additional 3rd party add-ons. And my tuner was not one of them even though it's one of the standard ones. So hard pass for me there.

I went through more of their documentation and 3rd party plug-ins/add-ons is a fairly consistent theme. This is par for the course for open-source software and that is not a negative or a positive it's just part of that game.

I did dink with Jellyfin more and it seems basic functionality is solid but for me it does not compare to Plex as this time given my use case. I will keep an eye on it though. In fact since I know I cannot use the tuner portion I will set up a VM just to read my media so I make a Jellyfin collection for further testing. But for me the tuner compatibility is required and the one I have is very good and was fairly costly so I did not want to replace it.

Back