Please Help an Idiot

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by boyak, Oct 18, 2007.

1. boyak

boyak New Member

I'm sure the answer to my question is as simple as a few clicks, but I'm not as technologically as inclined as the rest of you. So here goes. All I want to do is save the movie to my hard drive so I can watch it there. I know space is an issue, so I am planning to buy a 750gb external hard drive to library my movies. I've tried using AnyDvd to "Copy to Hard Drive" but when I go to where the files were saved, its's there but in the form of a multitude of files, non of which are playable (as far as I can decifer). The same goes for the option of using CloneDvd2's "Dvd Files" and "ISO/UDF Image". So my question ultimately is, can anyone please tell me how to save a movie to my hard drive so I can watch it without having to burn it to DVD. Any response will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm running Windows Vista on a HP laptop with more than sufficient storage space, if that is of any importance.

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

No. They are playable. You do need dvd playback software. Some popular choices include Powerdvd and Windvd. Either program will allow you to choose that folder as the source and play it.

3. boyak

boyak New Member

I have Windows Media Player and Media center. Are either of these sufficient or do I need another program? If that is the case, do you have a suggestion as to where I could download a program or do I have to bite the bullet and fork over more cash? Thanks for responding.

4. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

It should work with Windows Media Player 11 (although I never use it . . . Try "File"-->"open" or something).

5. Coaster

Coaster Well-Known Member

@ boyak,

Point your DVD playback/viewing software program of choice to the VIDEO_TS folder that you have directed either AnyDVD or CloneDVD to copy the Commercial DVD Movie to your Hard Drive. Do not attempt to play any single file but direct your DVD playback/viewing software program to play the VIDEO_TS folder. DVD playback/viewing software programs are designed to play the VIDEO_TS folder.

An excellent “Free” DVD playback/viewing software program is Media Player Classic ->

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm

Regards,
    Coaster

6. Giljorak

Giljorak Well-Known Member

I use Media Player Classic for playing DVD's that I rip to the harddrive.

Media Player Classic

EDIT: Coaster Beat me to it.

7. gaak

gaak Well-Known Member

8. Pelvis Popcan

Pelvis Popcan Well-Known Member

boyak, I highly recommend VLC Player. It's 100% freeware.

To play the files, just use "Open Directory."

9. Rusty257

Rusty257 Well-Known Member

change the extension of one of the VOB files to MPG and try opening that into media player. it may or may not work. if it does and has no sound you will probably need to download the ac3 codec. just do a google search for ac3.