• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Playing PAL discs on NTSC hardware

kathrus10

I bought a fairly expensive set of DVDs containing the old Lovejoy TV show series. The set is from Freemantle Media Enterprises and has a logo that says Revelation. The discs are marked PAL2. Based on what I read about ANYDVD I thought the Merry Old England DVDs wouldn't be a problem. They play fine on my computer and Clone DVD seems to make a good copy but neither the original DVDs (I expected this) nor the Copy (I didn't expect this) will play on any of my DVD players here in the USA. According to the menus in Clone DVD the region code has been eliminated but the copied DVD won't play. Can any of you techno mages help me. As the matter now sits I have a set of DVDs that I can either play only on my computer or use as an expensive paperweight. Any help gratefully appreciated.

You're posting in the wrong section. DVD problems do not belong in the Bluray section. DVD is one floor up. That being said, while anydvd does remove the region of a DVD if chosen to, it does NOT CHANGE the video standard used. EU titles use the PAL (25/50fps) standard, the US uses NTSC (approx 24fps). Which is likely the cause, your player most likely doesn't support the PAL video standard. Anydvd does not turn PAL into NTSC or vice versa. You still need third party software that can do this (slysoft does not have such a product) and you'll lose the original menu in the process.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

use an 'upscaling' hardware player or convert the format to NTSC

As another one said, you will loose the original menu, but it is possible to entirely convert the main feature and extra material of a PAL-DVD to NTSC-DVD, by using TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5. Pay software, it costs about $100, but it gets the job done. It can create both DVD and Blu-ray with menus.

Last edited:
Upscaling only enhances video or changes from 1 resolution to another, it doesn't change the video standard used.

sorry about the wrong forum thanks for info

You're posting in the wrong section. DVD problems do not belong in the Bluray section. DVD is one floor up. That being said, while anydvd does remove the region of a DVD if chosen to, it does NOT CHANGE the video standard used. EU titles use the PAL (25/50fps) standard, the US uses NTSC (approx 24fps). Which is likely the cause, your player most likely doesn't support the PAL video standard. Anydvd does not turn PAL into NTSC or vice versa. You still need third party software that can do this (slysoft does not have such a product) and you'll lose the original menu in the process.

Many thanks for the information at least I now know where to look.

Back