• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Playing M2TS files

tagsvet

I have successfully ripped Blue-ray movies to HD using AnyDVD HD. This creates a subdirectory named STREAM containg a number of m2ts files.

I have however been unable to find any software which will recognize and playback these m2ts files. The latest version of POWERDVD ULTRA recognizes and plays back VOB files, but does not recognize M2TS files (yes, I know about the "FILE TYPES" tab--MPEG2 Transport Stream is checked).

Any ideas?

I have successfully ripped Blue-ray movies to HD using AnyDVD HD. This creates a subdirectory named STREAM containg a number of m2ts files.

I have however been unable to find any software which will recognize and playback these m2ts files. The latest version of POWERDVD ULTRA recognizes and plays back VOB files, but does not recognize M2TS files (yes, I know about the "FILE TYPES" tab--MPEG2 Transport Stream is checked).

Any ideas?

PowerDVD plays them fine.

MPC (media player classic) as described in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=892527

I can play them as well with power dvd.
However, I usually have only one audio track that I can't change. And this track is mostly the commentary. Any other way to switch the audio except for (de)muxing....?

Thanks for recommending Nero ShowTime. It will play back the ripped m2ts stream. BUT it requires the Blu-Ray/HD DVD Video Plug-in for $29.99, and there is no trial download of this plug-in. Other than a complaint about additional cost I'm very please with Nero Showtime.

Despite the insistence of some in this forum, CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra fails to recognize the m2ts stream. Cyberlink's customer support/tech support is of no use, and their English is so bad it's probable that they do not even understand my questions.

I too use PowerDVD to play back m2ts files from the hard drive, and have never had any problems (other than being stuck with the first audio track only, which as others have pointed out, seems to never be the movie audio itself)

If PowerDVD does not play back the movie audio, then you do have problems, don't you? PowerDVD is worthless for playing back ripped Blue-Ray video.

Actually, I only use PDVD to play back m2ts files from the hard drive if I want to grab still images from the movie, since PDVD doesn't put the normal 'block' on doing stills from HD sources when just the m2ts file is played. If I want to play back the movie, I'll use the play movie from hard drive & it works fine, just as if it was playing from the disk itself.

Despite the insistence of some in this forum, CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra fails to recognize the m2ts stream. Cyberlink's customer support/tech support is of no use, and their English is so bad it's probable that they do not even understand my questions.

We all conspired here to dupe you into buying PowerDVD, you got us. You asked for help and many people kindly offered it to you -- perhaps you should spend some time reading rather than bashing -- whatever.

If PowerDVD does not play back the movie audio, then you do have problems, don't you? PowerDVD is worthless for playing back ripped Blue-Ray video.

I see no option in Showtime to allow you to change the audio track either so it plays an m2ts file the same as Powerdvd using the first allowable audio track (they both play back the first ac3 track on the file). Powerdvd has been able to play back the m2ts file from the harddrive for over a year. If yours doesn't then there's something wrong on your system.
Having done some more tests Showtime will play the HD audio track only if you have the Haali media splitter installed. Without it it just plays the file with the same audio track as Powerdvd

I see no option in Showtime to allow you to change the audio track either so it plays an m2ts file the same as Powerdvd using the first allowable audio track (they both play back the first ac3 track on the file). Powerdvd has been able to play back the m2ts file from the harddrive for over a year. If yours doesn't then there's something wrong on your system.
Having done some more tests Showtime will play the HD audio track only if you have the Haali media splitter installed. Without it it just plays the file with the same audio track as Powerdvd

Yes, "Haali media splitter" is a "must have" software if one wants to play .m2ts files directly. PowerDVD Ultra is still needed to decode video. Also some other software is needed to decode audio as PowerDVD's DirectShow audio filter does not work in Vista (I use WinDVD BD for VAIO for this purpose). I use Windows Media Player to watch .m2ts files, but other DirectShow-based player like "Media Player Classic" will do as well.

Any ideas?

Use TSREMUX on your HDD backup'd movie, only keep the streams you really need, and convert to TS using the remux feature.

Then, drag the TS file onto your PowerDVD icon and voilá, it plays with full 5.1 channel surround sound.

That way you only need to keep the TS files of the movies, which also cuts down on the size.

Use TSREMUX on your HDD backup'd movie, only keep the streams you really need, and convert to TS using the remux feature.

Then, drag the TS file onto your PowerDVD icon and voilá, it plays with full 5.1 channel surround sound.

That way you only need to keep the TS files of the movies, which also cuts down on the size.

Oh my, another PowerDVD conspirator :D

If you want to continue using PowerDVD (or any other program that only plays the first audio track), use Clown DB to strip out the unwanted audio tracks and extra video tracks if there are any.

I've done this and am left with a TS or M2TS file (or bluray structure or bluray iso, depending on what you want). My problem, however, is that PowerDVD will play the resulting file fine outside of WMC but not from within. That is, if I double click on the file, PowerDVD plays it fine. That's on both the downstairs PC that has passthrough audio to a receiver, as well as the upstairs PC that has to down convert 5.1 to stereo on the fly. However, if I attempt to start the same movie/file from within WMC, I get audio and no video. I think it has something to do with PowerDVD's cinema mode because if I try to switch to cinema mode while playing the M2TS file (outside of WMC), it basically says "I cant play this file in cinema mode." However, there doesn't appear to be a choice to get out of cinema mode when playing from inside WMC. Has anyone else had this issue?

Back