• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Player Software for HD DVD movies? NOT CYBERLINK!

Installed Arcsoft Digital Theatre Trial now and I am very excited to buy this when it is available in English. I tested some of my "trouble discs" when using PowerDVD.

Spider-Man 3 works like a charm, but I noticed that with Dolby TrueHD selected there is no subwoofer activity unlike PCM 5.1.

Pacte des Loups is still an issue here.
Choose Digital Theatre navigation tool: You cannot select any language in the Studio Canal language selection screen. You can jump directly into the movie but there a are no english subs altough you can select them in the context menu.

Normal navigation: The disc continues but the language selection screen permanently stays on top of the screen until you get to the main menu. Main menu is empty, you can select nothing. When you jump into the movie, the player locks up. :(

And oh yes, AnyDVD works too!
where'd you get the trial?
Do you have a link?

Forgot to say: It's ja Japanese only trial. Navigation is similar to PowerDVD, you should have no problems.

Here:
http://www.junglejapan.com/download/pub/trial/TotalMediaExtremeTrial.exe

I just finshed testing Tomb Raider 2 German HD-DVD and there is another problem:

In both DTS-Tracks (MA and HD) the rear right channel is silent - no sound! I hope this is some kind of trial restriction. Wrote a mail to ArcSoft. If they want me as a customer this and the Studio Canal issue have to be fixed.

Last edited:
Forgot to say: It's ja Japanese only trial. Navigation is similar to PowerDVD, you should have no problems.

Here:

I just finshed testing Tomb Raider 2 German HD-DVD and there is another problem:

In both DTS-Tracks (MA and HD) the rear right channel is silent - no sound! I hope this is some kind of trial restriction. Wrote a mail to ArcSoft. If they want me as a customer this and the Studio Canal issue have to be fixed.
Thanks.
I assume that they are not downsampling the HD audio? That's my main reason for wanting something other than powerDVD

Ill be interested in how this bit works inside media center

Windows Media Center Edition Plug-in
The program comes with a Windows Media Center Edition plug-in built right in! The plug-in provides a "10 foot" user experience: big buttons and compatibility with your remote control mean you can use Digital Theatre to watch your HD DVD and Blu-ray movies from the comfort of your couch.

As I recall, Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra has the same feature for MCE. Basically there is a full screen “10 foot” interface but there isn’t any real integration with MCE,…it simply hands off to the application and when closed goes back to MCE. It can be clunky and sometimes you might see the desktop for a split second when the switching between interfaces / applications is done (pay no attention to the man behind the curtain).

I don’t expect ArcSoft Digital Theatre 2 to be any different in this respect.

***edit***

Its good to see that there is a new option in the works though. I look forward to trying ArcSoft Digital Theatre 2!

Thanks for the link Rathbone80 !

Last edited:
Thanks.
I assume that they are not downsampling the HD audio? That's my main reason for wanting something other than powerDVD

Tried Ghost of Mae Nak which has a 24/96 DTS-MA 7.1 Track. Audio is being downsampled to 1536 kbps (says Digitheatre) 16Bit/48kHz (says Auzentech Console with bit matched playback enabled). :eek:

Well its plays fairly smooth on my laptop that power DVD wouldnt even touch due to "incompatable graphics driver" (intel chipset)

Here:

Thanks much, been looking at the US Site for the trial to be posted. Fun times possibly ahead for today!

Here:

What version number does that trial have? I'll try it with the version I have later.

So far, only the spanish version of 'der untergang' has a problem with the menu not working.

F
F

Ive just tested Heroes Disc 2 this is the only disc PowerDVD wont play and it seems to play just fine in digital theatre so far it looks fairly promising

Ive just tested Heroes Disc 2 this is the only disc PowerDVD wont play and it seems to play just fine in digital theatre so far it looks fairly promising

It will play just fine in PowerDVD Ultra.........assuming you disconnect your network connection. :D God I hate PowerDVD. I'm looking forward to an english trial of this new software. If it works better than PowerDVD, which shouldn't be hard, then they'll have a customer. The MCE integration....OH YEA, that's something I'm VERY interested in. I like MCE. I realize a lot of people hate it, but, I really do like it.

Well it was August 30th that I had enough of Cyberlink. This player plays my HD DVD movies without a problem. FINALLY!

Big thumbs up to "Rathbone80" for posting the link for the trial version, granted japanese, but just fine none the less. Looking forward to the english version to what fine tuning can be done.

Well here it is, something other than Cyberlink!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to post this for the benefit of everyone. *STOP PMing ME ASKING FOR A LINK TO THE NEW POWERDVD VERSION* I will NOT give it to people. If you want the link to it, email support like you are supposed to, OR, wait until it's publicly available. The link won't do you any good without a username and password. And I'm not about to provide that to anyone. So, please, don't PM me again about this issue.

I'm going to post this for the benefit of everyone. *STOP PMing ME ASKING FOR A LINK TO THE NEW POWERDVD VERSION* I will NOT give it to people. If you want the link to it, email support like you are supposed to, OR, wait until it's publicly available. The link won't do you any good without a username and password. And I'm not about to provide that to anyone. So, please, don't PM me again about this issue.
Same here. Don't ask me for a link. If you have a valid copy you should be able to get it from them yourself. If you only have an OEM serial number then you're not entitled to the Ultra version

Same here. Don't ask me for a link. If you have a valid copy you should be able to get it from them yourself. If you only have an OEM serial number then you're not entitled to the Ultra version

Maybe this should be posted under a different thread. For myself I am interested in ANYTHING BUT CYBERKINK.

Thanks

I just tested the italian version of Fantastic 4 and Silver Surfer using DigitalTheatre trial. The disc is a new BD+. Note that my original copy of PDVD is totally unable to read this disc.

The player works perfectly, the movie starts at first time. the player set automatically the italian language using DTS (I have spdif connection). Just I don't find the EVR renderer on the config window... is all in japanese...

Do we have any idea when an english version of the trial will be released?

No, but tonight i'll send a mail to ArcSoft requesting some infos about the software, the english trial and availability of the final version.

Ah, another intresting thing: I try to play the F4 bd+ on a VGA monitor, non hdcp, without AnyDVD running. DigitalTheater play it!

Damn, that's quite sweet! Yea, if you are able to find out more about the English trial, I'd love to know. I'm very interested in this software. PowerDVD can bite me. I've about had enough of it.

Just tried Surf's up and it plays fine, whereas Powerdvd won't play it even with 3319 installed

Back