• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Playback freezing in places

I've read up on the Sony Precision Drive 3 System and it doesn't exactly do everything you said. It sounds as though it has an error correction system just for warped discs. And that's only when it is playing inside the player.

For Rbaron and all Slysofters ONLY(haha, yea right),

OK. After reading through all this, I have to say that there is a couple simple solutions you all should know about. But first buy some Sony stock like I have. And of course, these are not the only solution as many will tell you, but you will agree it is SIMPLE.

First, buy a SONY DVD player they can be as low as 59 bucks and up to 1300 bones for the highest end players. The key is that most of Sony's DVD players have a trademarked technology called...are you ready for this?......this will solve ALL the playback problems of scratched, warped, off-balanced, and most importantly burned DVD-Rs for stand-alone players...it's called Sony's Precision Drive 3 System. It's as easy as that and it WORKS! TRUST ME.

The second solution is get a better burner. I use my dinky Vaio laptop's Sony DVD writer and I have had no problems playing the DVDs written from it(I've already burned almost 250 DVD on it!). So either buy any Sony writer or one that other, more tech savvy, guys on this forum recommend as a quality writer.

Also, FYI, I have had CD STOMPER paper labels on ALL my DVDs that go back about 13 months, and they still play perfectly. I started off with Memorex DVD-R 16x, then Sony DVD-R 16x(Japan), then Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 4x(shiny top), then TY DVD-R 4x(inkjet printable), then found out the TY(inkjet printable ONLY) deteriorated after only 4 months, then never bought TY again, and now I am using only Sony DVD-R 16x (Taiwan). The oldest Sony DVD-R(Taiwan) I have is about 9-10 months old and I am reporting no problems with glue deteriorating the movie.

Hope this helped.

Aloha

MMM,

Thanks much for the info. I need to update my DVD player because my DVD is also a VHS player. Two in one. I need to update to a single stand alone player.

I am disappointed to learn from you that the TY ink-jet printable DVD's deteriorate. I did not want to hear that. I use a program called Discus (for Mac & PC) You can find it here:

http://www.magicmouse.com/h_discus_detail.html

It can do labels and also ink-jet DVD's. Excellent program and it comes with hundreds of label choices.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and I WILL get a new DVD player.

Thanks,

Rich

I used the CD Stomper system, for paper labels, when I used paper labels. I've also ued Memorex labels. As I've stated before..........after a few months, when I tried to watch those movies again, they were unwatchable, until I removed the labels.

A friend bought a brand new Sony dvd player. He bought two Disney Movies (Lady & the Tramp, and Bambi II), and the Sony wouldn't play them. He took the Sony back and exchanged it for another one (same Sony model). It wouldn't play them either. I made copies of the movies for him, and they played perfectly. I don't have faith in Sony dvd players. Their receivers and tvs are ok though.......... :)

Well that confused the crap out of me to find out that they are not a good as advertised.

So, what DVD player would all of you on this list buy?

Thanks......

Well that confused the crap out of me to find out that they are not a good as advertised.

So, what DVD player would all of you on this list buy?

Thanks......

don't buy sony ;)

in the UK here, the cheapest dvd players play just about everything, the more expensive ones give you trouble

Rbaron,
I'm stating what I personally found. I have so many burned DVDs; this Sony player was just what I was looking for. I actually bought it and have it. Just make sure the Sony player says on the box and/or on their website that the player has the Precision Drive 3 system. Some older versions may have the Precision Drive 2 system; I don't know how well that works.

TRUST ME, it plays CORRECTLY burned DVDs FLAWLESSLY. I've had it for approx. 2 months already, and have played more than 20 burned DVDs with all amounts of compression with NO, again NO problems.

I love it!

And, FYI, I don't use the CD Stomper system; I just use their CD labels. They guarantee that they will stick for a long time to come. JVC, your probably gonna go crazy when I tell you this, but I eyeball it when I put the labels on, of course most are off center. They still play though and as long as Sony keeps improving the PD3 system, I'll be good.

I have an Epson R220, which I also recommend getting for labeling purposes, and I use the labeling software that came with it.

RICH, TRUST ME and TRY it, and report back!

Aloha

rbaron...what brand is the 2 in 1 dvd/VHS player you have? Not an LG?

MMM,

Thanks much for the info. I need to update my DVD player because my DVD is also a VHS player. Two in one. I need to update to a single stand alone player.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and I WILL get a new DVD player.

Rich

No it is not an LG. It is a Sansung player.

Also I found a Sony DVD player at Circuit City. I seems like it is cheap. It does have the Precision Drive 3. Here it is. Can anyone tell me if that is a good replacement for the DVD/VHS player I have now? MMM maybe you can weigh in on this.

Thanks......

Sony DVD Player (DVP-NS55P/S)
SON DVPNS55PS
• Precision Cinema Progressive™
• Precision Drive™ 3 • Multi-format playback
• A/V versatility
Price was: $74.99
You save: -$5.00

Last edited:
That's the player I have, works great:agree: But, if you plan to get a HD TV soon, you might wanna invest in an upconverting player.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Last edited:
I have used anyDVD and cloneDVD for over two years as well. MY ENTIRE library of backups freeze at 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through!!! Almost EVERY ONE. This totally defeats the purpose and is VERY frustrating. We write at 1X. I'll check for updates to our Sony burner, but since this was a problem two years ago, when drive was new, I'm not holding out hope. I'll look for the other suggestion as well. My daughter is severely autistic. She LOVES to play with DVDs like they are cards and she ALSO LOVES to watch certain movies (I spent over $100.00 on one disc before I discovered backups!). For her, the playback freezing isn't too big a deal, but for us, especially when traveling, it is HUGE. Here at home, when it happens, we just pop in the original or move the DVD to one of my son's Play station 3 or Xbox. Weird that they ALWAYS playback on those. However, hotel rooms won't let you hook up your game systems to their tvs anymore so I'm getting to the point where I can't use my backups so, unless it is for my daughter, WHY BOTHER?? If it plays in a playstation 3, why won't it play anywhere else? URG.

Wow, 2 years of freezing. I would have really been fed up by now.

From what I have learned is make sure you have the latest versions of the software. Also, you never said what DVD player you are using when they freeze. Since they play on the game box DVD I suspect it is the box you use to watch them.

Good luck and I am sure the more knowledgeable members of this forum wll weigh it on this.

Rich

Dvd Freeze

Yes, we have labels on all our backups. We'll see what peeling them off does. We have about 10 DVD players in the house of varying ages. Sony +/- RW RECORDABLE is the best. However, we bought a new one and discs froze so we returned it and bought one off EBAY that was the same as the one we have that plays most consistent. We put it in the camper so we have one that we can take "on the road" and have some reliability. We use only Sony media and our burner is a sony DRU720A. The running in the background thing is a possibility, but the freeze place is consistent across all copies and in all kinds of different players so that would be wierd. I updated the firmware.
We'll see.

Yes, we have labels on all our backups. We'll see what peeling them off does. We have about 10 DVD players in the house of varying ages. Sony +/- RW RECORDABLE is the best. However, we bought a new one and discs froze so we returned it and bought one off EBAY that was the same as the one we have that plays most consistent. We put it in the camper so we have one that we can take "on the road" and have some reliability. We use only Sony media and our burner is a sony DRU720A. The running in the background thing is a possibility, but the freeze place is consistent across all copies and in all kinds of different players so that would be wierd. I updated the firmware.
We'll see.

Try a Sony DVD player w/ a Precision Drive 3 system!

Ok, I went and bought a new Sony DVD player model #DVP-NS75H. I have watched three movies that I have recently ripped with DVDFab Platinum. All three of the movies have a glitch in them. By glitch I mean that the movie stalls for a brief instant then continues. It does not skip to another part of the movie it just stops for a half a second then continues.

I don't know what else to do.

Thanks to all that responded with their suggestions.

Ok, I went and bought a new Sony DVD player model #DVP-NS75H. I have watched three movies that I have recently ripped with DVDFab Platinum. All three of the movies have a glitch in them. By glitch I mean that the movie stalls for a brief instant then continues. It does not skip to another part of the movie it just stops for a half a second then continues.

I don't know what else to do.

Thanks to all that responded with their suggestions.

That sounds like the layer break..............

a layer break is what divides a dual layer DVD. are you using dual-layer?.

also make sure your using good blank media like Taiyo Yuden and or Verbatim and don't burn above 8x speed

check and make sure you have the latest firmware update for your drive/burner also;)

I am using the Taiyo Yuden DVD's.

What I do not know how to do is burn the DVD's at 8x speed. I don't know where I would go to do that.

Can you help me find where I can adjust my speed of the burner?

Thanks in advance........

Back