• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Pixelation in dark scenes and fading to black

AngelGraves13

pixellation from over-compression

My only gripe with CloneDVD (which was somewhat fixed after an email to tech support) is that when it compresses a movie, if there is a scene that fades to black, it becomes a little pixelated as it fades. It was much worse before when I tried it out with my X-Files season discs, but after an email, a new version was released that somewhat fixed it.

I still think Nero Recode does fading to black better because it has little to no pixelation when doing so. The problem with CloneDVD was it was over-compressing the scene. It still needs a little tweak to make it less noticable. I have a copy I made of Hills Have Eyes 2 and since the movie is very dark, it has some pixelation. Nero Recode didn't give me any pixelation in those scenes. I'm constantly recoding in Nero and burning with CloneDVD, but if it ever gets fixed, I will be using it instead of Nero.

Yes, that's why I deleted my post and made this thread. My apologies!

It seems you also moved it and made a thread, so I deleted one of them as well.

I'm constantly recoding in Nero and burning with CloneDVD, but if it ever gets fixed, I will be using it instead of Nero.

Recode and Shrink's transcoder quality is better than what Clonedvd's transcoder can produce provided advanced analysis or deep analysis is used in the first two mentioned programs. Consequently if you do wish to use a transcoder to compress I would continue doing what you are doing.

Last edited:
Recode and Shrink's transcoder quality is better than what Clonedvd's transcoder can produce provided advanced analysis or deep analysis is used in the first two mentioned programs. Consequently if you do wish to use a transcoder to compress I would continue doing what you are doing.

Yeah, I do an advanced analysis, but it just takes so damn long. It made little to no difference when I recoded my Deadwood S3 with Recode and with CloneDVD. I guess compressing to 60% doesn't make much of a difference from the two programs. It looks equally crappy.

I'd like to see an "Advanced" option in CloneDVD to chose quality over speed (if needed).

Yeah, I do an advanced analysis, but it just takes so damn long. It made little to no difference when I recoded my Deadwood S3 with Recode and with CloneDVD. I guess compressing to 60% doesn't make much of a difference from the two programs. It looks equally crappy.

What Clonedvd does do is transcode faster than either Shrink or Recode, but with that speed there's a tradeoff: picture quality.

Some people, like Drinklyanddie, prefer to use an encoder (takes much longer to compress, but picture quality is better).

Then some people (myself included) hate compressing and use Verbatim +R DL blank media made in Singapore (but I use Clonecd instead).

I think CloneDVD just needs to optimize the way it does dark scenes and scenes that fade to black. Otherwise, the transcoding is very good. It's only the dark scenes and fading to black that needs a little more work.

I think CloneDVD just needs to optimize the way it does dark scenes and scenes that fade to black.

At the risk of being frowned upon by Elaborate Bytes, I would need a little more to change before I started using Clonedvd to compress video (I notice the difference on my HDTV). But I do use Clonedvd to rip sometimes and to remove junk before ripping. I find Clonedvd is useful as a "preprocessor".

Anyway, if you have 80-85% "quality" or more shown in Clonedvd I don't think there's much to be gained by switching to Recode for transcoding. But below that point, if you're noticing compression issues, I would switch to something else to compress. For a lot of people, the size of the screen (and that screen's resolution) matters a great deal.

Last edited:
Like Webslinger I use CloneDVD to remove garbage titles. If anything annoying is buried inside VOBs I use VobBlanker to clean things out. If the output quality falls below ~90% then I re-encode rather than transcode. I'm very happy with the results. On my antiquated P4 it normally takes 2 hrs max from start to finish to re-encode.

Like Webslinger I use CloneDVD to remove garbage titles. If anything annoying is buried inside VOBs I use VobBlanker to clean things out. If the output quality falls below ~90% then I re-encode rather than transcode. I'm very happy with the results. On my antiquated P4 it normally takes 2 hrs max from start to finish to re-encode.

only 2 hours to re-encode...which encoder are you using...and i agree vobblanker is very nice

Back