• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Pioneer DVR-112D

Nope, I am satisfied. I have dual burners though. Pioneer which I upgraded from the Sony one and the Philips came with the computer. The Philips has been very good to me despite not being a great name or whatever

Well, perhaps, coincidently, The Digital Dolphin has stopped recommending the 112: "I hate doing this, but I'm going to have to suggest *NOT* buying the Pioneer DVR-112 anymore. This drive seems to have several large problems at the moment with CDR media, as well as disc recognition problems in general (of UNBURNED media!!). Hopefully a firmware will solve some or all of these problems in the future... but at the moment I can't recommend this drive!"

That might also explain some of the issues with the Plextor PX810sa, which is basically a Pioneer DVR-212 rebadge (the 212 is basically a sata version of the 112).

/shrug

Anyway, if you have a 112 that works fine, then I'd just use it and be happy (except I wouldn't use it for disc quality scans).

Well, perhaps, coincidently, The Digital Dolphin has stopped recommending the 112: "I hate doing this, but I'm going to have to suggest *NOT* buying the Pioneer DVR-112 anymore. This drive seems to have several large problems at the moment with CDR media, as well as disc recognition problems in general (of UNBURNED media!!). Hopefully a firmware will solve some or all of these problems in the future... but at the moment I can't recommend this drive!"

That might also explain some of the issues with the Plextor PX810sa, which is basically a Pioneer DVR-212 rebadge (the 212 is basically a sata version of the 112).

/shrug

Anyway, if you have a 112 that works fine, then I'd just use it and be happy (except I wouldn't use it for disc quality scans).
I don't use CDs much though, and if I do, I can put them in the Philips drive, but they are working right now in the new Pioneer Newegg sent me.

My Pioneer DVR-112D is starting to puke on me. It wont read CDs properly. I just bought this in early 2007 and have not used it a whole lot. Does anyone know why it might be doing this? Or if it is dieing, what would be a good replacement?
Don't tell me that I just bought one and it is on its way. I now have all the brands out there. I like Sony 18X SATA, fast and does a great job. I also have good luck with Lite-On. I just installed a Plextor 760A 16X PATA and that is my favorite, along with Pioneer 110D 16X PATA. Samsung is a little slow for a 20X. Phillips 20X Sata aren't worh a dime, they are slow and gave me terrible burns. Plextor 810SA 18X Sata well you know the trouble I had with that and that battle is going on. The LG 20X Sata well its a LG, cheap and burns fairly well.

I also have NEC and ASUS they still in the box. I can try them if you like.

Last edited:
Plextor Firmware

/shrug

I've got a PX716sa that just zorched and was searching to find a replacement. Does anyone know if Plextor writes the firmware on the rebadges?

I'm a little peeved at the 716sa. I had in in the box for about two years, plugged it in for the first time about 5 months ago and have only put about 10 hours of actually burning use on it. I haven't taken the time to look, but either the laser fried or the motor did. It was doing a burn on a D/L gave me the message that it was unable to write the end of the disk-at-once and now doesn't seem to spin up or recognize any media. I upgraded the firmware to 1.11 and it accepted that, but still no go.

I've got a PX716sa that just zorched and was searching to find a replacement. Does anyone know if Plextor writes the firmware on the rebadges?

I'm a little peeved at the 716sa. I had in in the box for about two years, plugged it in for the first time about 5 months ago and have only put about 10 hours of actually burning use on it. I haven't taken the time to look, but either the laser fried or the motor did. It was doing a burn on a D/L gave me the message that it was unable to write the end of the disk-at-once and now doesn't seem to spin up or recognize any media. I upgraded the firmware to 1.11 and it accepted that, but still no go.

i would prefer to contact plextor about an RMA ... maybe you could get a new one (isn't the waranty 3 years?) ... seems like your 716sa is going to die ...

Plextors

i would prefer to contact plextor about an RMA ... maybe you could get a new one (isn't the waranty 3 years?) ... seems like your 716sa is going to die ...

Nah It's only a year. I'm already playing Taps for it, but I'll tear it apart to see if it's anything obvious. I just need to figure out what I want to replace it with.

I've always been a big fan of Plextor built drives and the fact that they have always been on the ball on releasing updated F/Ws. But now that they don't build their own...

I've also always liked Philips as I understand that they were in the initial development of the CD. I used to buy Magnavox CD players because they used Philips circuit boards and cheap Philips made transports that you could hack with better Op Amps and increase the voltage rails and get incredibly musical sound out of a $60 player when most were going for three times that.

I would also suggest contacting Plextor about an RMA......if you haven't already broken the case seal.

Very likely a dead drive . . . Some of the earlier TLAs of the PX-716a were faulty.

PX716sa

Very likely a dead drive . . . Some of the earlier TLAs of the PX-716a were faulty.

FYI: I called Plextor TS and they weren't able to RMA the unit. I tore the unit open and found one of the clips holding the circuit board not holding it. I loosened the cables, cleaned the contacts, re-attached them and put the unit back together and it took off. Hmm... Running through the on-board diagnostics, it has given me an error, so we'll see where we go from here.

I had already replaced the unit with the Pioneer 112D and it's been working like a champ.

To repeat a previous question -- Does Plextor still write their firmware or do they let the original mfgr deal with it.

FYI: I called Plextor TS and they weren't able to RMA the unit. I tore the unit open and found one of the clips holding the circuit board not holding it. I loosened the cables, cleaned the contacts, re-attached them and put the unit back together and it took off. Hmm... Running through the on-board diagnostics, it has given me an error, so we'll see where we go from here.

I had already replaced the unit with the Pioneer 112D and it's been working like a champ.

To repeat a previous question -- Does Plextor still write their firmware or do they let the original mfgr deal with it.

The PX-716sa is a real Plextor drive, so Plextor would be writing it for that burner. As for rebadges, I'm not entirely sure.

PX-716sa

The PX-716sa is a real Plextor drive, so Plextor would be writing it for that burner. As for rebadges, I'm not entirely sure.

OK Thanks. It seems as if the unit has a new life. It's passing all of the tests that I can throw at it for now. I don't think that I'll be using it for anything "mission critical" (Yea like I do anything important in my second bedroom)

As for the rebadges, I'd be more apt to continue to be a Plextor fan if they did do some of the work themselves.

As for the rebadges, I'd be more apt to continue to be a Plextor fan if they did do some of the work themselves.

I honestly wouldn't bother with the rebadged burners, unless you don't mind paying the premium for Plextor techsupport (and possibly Plextools), which is definitely above average.

Last edited:
Plextor

Thanks for the link. I've seen it on the Pioneer page as well.

One annoyance that I have found with the 112D is that using DVDDecrypter, DVDClone PlexTools, and Nero, I have been unable to lower the Read Speed on DVDs. I've always had a few issues letting things go at a max speed, I've usually experienced better rips lowering the read to 4X. Even when I force it with some of the tools, logs will show a warning' tell me that it's going to read at 12X, and then end up with a max read of about 14.something. Anyone have any suggestions?

plextor

One annoyance that I have found with the 112D is that using DVDDecrypter, DVDClone PlexTools, and Nero, I have been unable to lower the Read Speed on DVDs. I've always had a few issues letting things go at a max speed, I've usually experienced better rips lowering the read to 4X.

I've found the dandy solution. I pulled the PX-716 out of my server and put it into the workstation, while the 112d is relegated to the server.

FYI: per Plextor email support: "In regards to the firmware, Plextor is involved in the development of the firmware."

Not a lot of info, but to me that makes the re-badges worth the money.

Last edited:
FYI: per Plextor email support: "In regards to the firmware, Plextor is involved in the development of the firmware."

That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

Not a lot of info, but to me that makes the re-badges worth the money.

If Plextor is creating updates longer than the original company, then maybe . . .

Back