• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

pioneer dvd-rw dvr-104 read issues

lmc

I am working with a Pioneer drive model dvd-rw dvr-104 and it does not recognize +r/+rw blank media (works perfectly with -r/-rw). According to the Pioneer site, this drive works exclusively with -r or -rw blank media.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/BusinessProducts/Blu-rayDisc+DVDWriters/DVDComputerWriters/ci.DVR-104+&+DVR-A04.Support?tab=E

Is there anything that I can do, short of replacing the drive, to get it to read and write to +r/+rw media? Download drivers? Something? Anything?

Thank you in advance for your input - lmc

you could try crossflashing if thats available to that drive but you're better of replacing the drive alltogether

-R media are less scratch resistant, -r dl discs have a fixed layer break (makes it difficult for 1:1 backups where the LB is in a diff place) and are in general kind of obsolete

+R is more scratch resistant, modifyable layer break position, can have the booktype set (-r cannot do this), and is more widely known and supported. I'd get a new drive, its not like a dvd burner costs all that much

you could try crossflashing if thats available to that drive

Could you explain crossflashing? I included the link to the drive specs in the initial question if that helps you with determining "if that available to that drive". A new drive isn't an option - hence my seeking an alternative method to using +r media.

Thank you for your input, Ch3vr0n - lmc

well crossflashing involves flashing the drive with compatible firmware that isnt designed for that drive. Examples are flashing a Blu-ray only drive into bd & hd-dvd capable. I wonder why a new drive isnt an option though. I've seen its an internal drive so i'd just swap it out. DVD burners arent that expensive nowadays you can get one for as little as $30

thank you for the explanation and the use of an analogy to help to describe. For the drive that I have - and the model of puter (Sony Vaio PCV-RX860) Do you have knowledge about which software would work - which would allow my drive to recognize and burn +r/rw media?

I don't want to get into any philosophical debate about swapping the drive out for a new one - but, I will tell you that, based on the age of my puter, and the fact that it is a Sony, swapping out just isn't anything that I am going to be able to do.

If you know of software that will work with my computer, I'd really appreciate it, m8! lmc

thank you for the explanation and the use of an analogy to help to describe. For the drive that I have - and the model of puter (Sony Vaio PCV-RX860) Do you have knowledge about which software would work - which would allow my drive to recognize and burn +r/rw media?

I don't want to get into any philosophical debate about swapping the drive out for a new one - but, I will tell you that, based on the age of my puter, and the fact that it is a Sony, swapping out just isn't anything that I am going to be able to do.

If you know of software that will work with my computer, I'd really appreciate it, m8! lmc
Buy an external +R/+RW drive and run it off USB. A few $ more, but gets around your problem of not being able to install an internal drive.

It's not possible to cross flash the 104 to make it +r compatible, you need to get a new drive if you want to be able to use +r's. The last firmware for it was back in March 2003. You'll either need to replace it internally or buy a new external drive

Back