• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Pioneer BDR-206 Firmware 1.05

No, I said you'll have to try a 3rd party controller or take it round to a friends, but I doubt it'll fix your speed problem of less than 1 times getting it done at a friends as I suspect it's your mobo that's causing the problem

No, I said you'll have to try a 3rd party controller or take it round to a friends, but I doubt it'll fix your speed problem of less than 1 times getting it done at a friends as I suspect it's your mobo that's causing the problem

You mean the speed problem is caused by MY MOBO and a 3rd party controller won't help. My friends PC won't solve the speed problem, because it can't have that one forever?

Don't understand "of less than 1 times getting it done at a friends"

But SATA has speed capacity of up to 300MB so that shouldn't be a problem. Transferrate from harddisk is good, so?

Your BD drive doesn't like the Mobo controller which is why your speed is slow either that or you have a faulty drive. I never said a 3rd party controller would have the same problem, I said you'd have to try a 3rd party controller to see if that makes a difference.
I also said that I doubted that getting the firmware flashed at a friends will fix the slow speed on your system

Your BD drive doesn't like the Mobo controller which is why your speed is slow either that or you have a faulty drive. I never said a 3rd party controller would have the same problem, I said you'd have to try a 3rd party controller to see if that makes a difference.
I also said that I doubted that getting the firmware flashed at a friends will fix the slow speed on your system

How can I check for a faulty drive?

Can you recommend a 3rd party controller?

The only way to check if it's faulty would be to take it over to a more modern machine and see if it works on that.

I found a thread from 2005 from a reseller, that says that this message occurs only, when you have an OEM drive means "bulk" edition.

http://forum.mindfactory.de/festpla...iert-man-firmware-dvd-brenners-dvr-109-a.html

To those that have the BDR-206? Can you update? do you have the bulk or the retail version?

Code:
Pioneer is manufacturing 2 versions of its DVD burners. DVR-10x version are those sold as "bulk" for being integrated by final users or OEM; whereas DVR-A0x are sold in "box version" and have additional features.
It seems that to cut its production costs, Pioneer has used an identical mechanical/hardware part in the recent 109 and A09 models, the only difference being only in the external aspect and the firmware.
But the A09 is having interesting features theoretically missing in the 109 models, such as: no speed limit DVD ripping whereas 109 is limited to 4x. The A09 model is also featuring a small utility panel allowing the user to lower the DVD playing speed to a silent mode while reading DVDs.
Members from Forum RPC-1 have successfully transform a Pioneer DVR-109 model into a A09 model. We have been able to reproduce the procedure. Be careful that you will need a Pc to flash the DVR-109; firmware tools are not available for Mac yet.

1) Download the softwareDVRupdate 0.9 to force flashing the DVR-109 model.
2) Download Firmware 1.05 for A09. You will have to extract the archive to the same folder containing DVRupdate.
3) Launch DVRupdate, and choose kernel and firmware for A09. No way to make mistake since the software knows how to discriminate between both models.
4) flash the burner. It now behaves as a A09 model.
5) Download Firmware 1.17 for A09. Now since it is a A09 burner, it will be able to update its firmware from the A09 tools.
6) Place back your DVR-109 into you Mac, and reboot.

with the Mac system your DVR is still recognized as a 109, but the DVD ripping is much faster. We have successfully burned CDs and DVDs; but the most impressing thing is that the drive turns into the silent mdoe automatically when reading video DVD!!
As usual, since it is a really recent modification, reports are still missing, so be aware that you perform the procedure to your own risk. We are not responsible if you fail. It is always possible to flash the firmware back to 109 with DVRupdate.

Newegg only sells the OEM Bulk edition and i update fine, They don't sell the retail one. The drive is a killer

The OP doesn't have a problem with getting and running the file, the problem is that it doesn't recognise his drive is connected so I think he's going to have to do like you said, either get a 3rd party controller or take it to a friends with a newer mobo and flash it there (although I doubt that'll fix his problem as I think it's to do with the SATA controller on his mobo).
Have you tried making sure the drive is on one of the first 2 sockets (0 or 1)

If it matters i did notice he has a 206D and i have a 206, Now my non Blu-ray drives 112D, 115D, 116D etc were mostly cross flashed to buffalo firmware so i can have booktype DVDROM on +R and +R DL media. No such luck so far with 206. I think maybe he needs the correct firmware maybe the problem. That error he's getting to me means that the firmware update is not seeing the drive. I would look for the "D" version software if there is such a thing. On the other hand i don't think he's using a really up to date puter and the SATA controllers were crap, they were good for HDD but not optical. The error can also mean it's the wrong drive aka 206 VS 206D

Note: I would purchase a 3rd party SATA controller and install it and be done with all problems, there cheap enough however if that don't work i'd have to say something not right with the drive then. Thats why i posted a pic of a part of DVDInfoPro on my drive and as u see it reads 206 without a "D". Im also curious that when a SATA controller is'nt up to par it will decrease your burn speed and read speed. I wonder how you do with that as i rip with one software no matter what protection at 24-26 MB/s and AnyDVD HD between 15-16 MB/s everytime. However i clone only so i don't use many BD-R as full movies below 23gig is rare so i use BD-R DL and use verbatim only 6X Discs
but ImgBurn burns them well beyond that speed. So when i burn i burn to be as close to the original as possible with menus and BD-Live etc and i leave some copy protection on as i run a Oppo 93 player and it will do it all. With that said i wonder what your ripping and burning speeds are. The burning speed won't help because your using other media most likely. BD-R Verbatim = $45.00 ( 25 pk ) BD-R DL = $80.00 ( 10 pK )

Last edited:
If it matters i did notice he has a 206D and i have a 206, Now my non Blu-ray drives 112D, 115D, 116D etc were mostly cross flashed to buffalo firmware so i can have booktype DVDROM on +R and +R DL media. No such luck so far with 206. I think maybe he needs the correct firmware maybe the problem. That error he's getting to me means that the firmware update is not seeing the drive. I would look for the "D" version software if there is such a thing. On the other hand i don't think he's using a really up to date puter and the SATA controllers were crap, they were good for HDD but not optical. The error can also mean it's the wrong drive aka 206 VS 206D

Thanks for the hint. Can you check what drive information AnyDVD is giving you in the status window?

Note: I would purchase a 3rd party SATA controller and install it and be done with all problems, there cheap enough however if that don't work i'd have to say something not right with the drive then. Thats why i posted a pic of a part of DVDInfoPro on my drive and as u see it reads 206 without a "D". Im also curious that when a SATA controller is'nt up to par it will decrease your burn speed and read speed. I wonder how you do with that as i rip with one software no matter what protection at 24-26 MB/s and AnyDVD HD between 15-16 MB/s everytime. However i clone only so i don't use many BD-R as full movies below 23gig is rare so i use BD-R DL and use verbatim only 6X Discs
but ImgBurn burns them well beyond that speed. So when i burn i burn to be as close to the original as possible with menus and BD-Live etc and i leave some copy protection on as i run a Oppo 93 player and it will do it all. With that said i wonder what your ripping and burning speeds are. The burning speed won't help because your using other media most likely. BD-R Verbatim = $45.00 ( 25 pk ) BD-R DL = $80.00 ( 10 pK )

Jep, I didn't use the drive for ripping, so I will try ripping with the drive soon. I will also check DVD burning, soon.

So when you rip a Bluray I suppose "with another software" you have full speed and AnyDVD only gives you a fraction of it?

I'll check the local retailer for a 3rd party controller, hopefully tomorrow.

Thank you guys for all the help.

The only problem with us recommending 3rd party SATA cards is that optical drives don't always work that well on those either

The only problem with us recommending 3rd party SATA cards is that optical drives don't always work that well on those either

The answer is optical drives like CERTAIN chip sets NOT any old card. What makes or breaks it is the chipset used. But again he never ripped nothing or wrote anything with the drive. I would like him to use "Rip To Image" with AnyDVD HD using a Blu-Ray and i want to know the speed AnyDVD HD Rips it to a ISO.

Go back and read his second post, he states that burning to BD-RE at 0.8 speed is annoying which is why he's trying to update the drive in the first place.

And I didn't say they didn't work on 3rd party controllers I said they don't always work that well, there's a difference.

Go back and read his second post, he states that burning to BD-RE at 0.8 speed is annoying which is why he's trying to update the drive in the first place.

And I didn't say they didn't work on 3rd party controllers I said they don't always work that well, there's a difference.

What i thought he said was he never ripped or burned a movie in one of his messages. 0.8 is N/G, Best quick bet is to remove the drive and take it to a computer shop and they will install it in one of there test computers, if it runs and barks like a dog still RMA the drive. BD-RE is usually around 2.4x or near i don't bother with that kind of media, if the ISO runs flawless in PowerDVD 10 Ultimate it runs fine from a Blu-ray medium in a Oppo 93, However i still feel its a controller issue. There is sata, sataII and sataIII, Mine is sataIII, if the drive for some reason is not in DMA mode of course it will run like a snail also.

Note: If the op wants to go the controller route you'll want a Silicon Image SiI 3114 chip set or a SiI 3112 also works well for optical drives, I will agree i have only one Blu-Ray writer as i don't like the others on the market at the moment however nothing wrong with the 205 Pioneer either, As a joke the difference between the 205 and 206 is SOOOOOOOOOO little i can't beleive Pioneer would do such a thing. However the 205's were first made in Japan for a short time then all the rest like the 206 china made, i guess there labor is even cheaper. Here i have 40 optical drives and some never used as the REAL Plextors today are not plextors. If your not happy with my answers then i'd suggest you visit cdfreaks but i think its MYce or something today and you'l get a answer and mostly the same im telling u.

Last edited:
so, new Intel Mainboard (ICH8 ) is built in the computer, but Pioneer Firmware update still fails!

So any ideas now? :(

Last edited:
Thankfully I am happy with my Pioneer BDR-205. This thread is simply insane. Pioneer made a huge mistake with all the games with this model. Personally, I thought their model numbering was already stupid but it wasn't this bad. With the 206 you have retail and OEM. Maybe multiple different retail and OEM models? You also have the 206 that is regular BD burner and the 206 that does BDXL. They really couldn't give the BDXL version a completely different model number?

Sorry to hear about all your problems but I am glad you guys posted about this because I'll never buy a 206 after reading this thread.

contact Pioneer "Support" through their web site....they can send you a playable CD that will download the 1.05 firmware upgrade you need into your BDR-206...

Not in the US. Pioneer US says that the newer version is not available for what is sold in the US.

@BurnerHEAD
Hopefully the one uploaded today works for you now:
http://www.pioneer-optical.eu/Download_Firmware-Download.asp

Thanks, I'll check! ;)

EDIT: thanks, it worked!

attachment.php

Last edited:
I am so happy with my Pio-205, I was thinking of getting the 206 for a second PC. This thread gave me a pause. I will wait a few months till everything is sorted out.

Back