• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Paramount is going to start tiered releasing of dvd's and bluray's

S

SLOVEHEART

I get 'Digital Digest' live update by e-mail; in the last release there was a clip concerning Paramount releasing DVD versions of movies 8 weeks later than other releases; and releases to rental services, there is more to the clip, so see below for the rest:

"On to HD news, Paramount is trying a new thing that many studios in the past have tried and found little success: tiered releasing.

What this means is that instead of releasing all home video versions of the movie at the same time, they're going to release only the rental DVD and for sale Blu-ray version of the movies first, with the for sale DVD version coming at up to 8 weeks later. Now the theory behind this is to promote both video rental and Blu-ray, both of which are growing markets for the studios, as opposed to DVD which is quickly dropping in sales. Studios have tried this in the past, with rental versions of DVDs that contained no extra features, followed by retail versions with the lot (usually a second disc). This kind of thing died quickly here in Australia, as people wanted to rent the retail version with all the special features and were willing to wait. Having the Blu-ray version in stores will help Blu-ray certainly, but it will also task the sales people with explaining to customers why they can't buy the DVD version until 8 weeks later, which I'm sure will please the retailers who rely on DVD for 90% of their home video revenue. And with people unable to buy the version they want, how many will seek alternative sources, such as pirated versions (of the rental only DVD), and feel justified in doing so because they have been denied the opportunity to purchase the content. Guilt is probably the most effective deterrent to piracy, and Paramount's move might effectively destroy this last barrier. It's good thing then that Paramount aren't doing this with all releases, possibly just the lower profile titles that people will only ever want to rent, not buy." :mad:

They're probably doing this due to surveys they've had done. I recently filled in a large online survey where I was asked various questions about type of discs/extra's etc I'd like and whether I'd prefer they released at the same time as DVD's or earlier

I honestly prefer that these movie studios release the BD for rent and sale then 8 weeks later release the SD.

I think it will just promote more copying of rentals................
Oh well. It's their money.

I think it will just promote more copying of rentals................
Oh well. It's their money.

Not if they put out the BD version to buy 8 weeks before the SD and the rental BD out 6 weeks before SD. I think if they are really worried about pirating they should release the movie for sale 8 weeks before the rental stores get it.

Doesn't make any difference to me, if I back-up the Blu-ray source disk to Blu-ray format or the standard definition disk to standard definition format.

If you have a hardware upscale standard definiton player you can get 1080P and the video will look very close or not be able to see the difference from a Blu-ray 1080P.

With most of my audio using 5.1 speakers and no upscaling or backing up to high definition audio most of the time. Usually AC-3 audio

To keep the standard definition with no compression on a DVD-9 (8.5gb) and the Blu-ray high definition with no compression on a BD-R (25gb)

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Most newer BD's are over 25gig and I don't want the loss of quality. The wife sees the difference and I can hear the difference I won't compress if a loss at all is there.

The wife sees the difference and I can hear the difference I won't compress if a loss at all is there.

I can hear and see both on Toshiba 72 Inch screen brought from tiger direct special order :D

Paramount is not the only one to release Blue-ray discs before dvds! Disney will do the same soon! They just want people to quit buying dvds and start buying Blu-ray discs instead! :agree:

All this manipulation is just a marketing scam

My feeling is the studio's should just release the blasted movies when they are done showing in the theatre's - all this manipulation is just an obvious sign that they are up to trying to capitalize in the largest way on making money. They don't care about the viewing public - just their profits; why gerimander the release process at all if it is not for some scheme they have:(

Well they have to pay for lawsuits somehow :D

Back